Tech Tip: Check if Adobe Flash is installed, then get rid of it

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by pacav69, Nov 3, 2015.

1. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

Flash, it's been a good run. We've had a lot of fun together, but it's time to get some distance... permanently. That doesn't erase my fond memories of playing together back in the day, but we both have to wake up and face the truth. You're outdated and insecure and untrustworthy. It's not me, it's you.

Fake breakup aside, if you've been following the recent issues with Flash that just don't seem to stop you might be thinking you want to be done with it altogether. That's where we come in. It's simple to wipe every trace of Flash from your computer, but first you have to know what you're dealing with. I wasn't sure if I still had it installed so I checked, and there it was.

The next step is to remove Flash from your Windows or Mac system, and from any browsers you use. And don't worry, if you feel some separation anxiety — or there's something you really need Flash to use — we've also included instructions for downloading Flash back onto your system at the bottom of this quick guide.

More information found here
    http://www.techspot.com/guides/1082-remove-adobe-flash-everywhere/

2. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Since folks have been complaining about Flash being bloated and insecure since 2012, (from your "and untrustworthy" link above), and earlier, I doubt that Flash will go away any time soon. I also wish that it and all other Adobe products were less bloated, [ Thank goodness for installers with less bloat from Trouba! (any remaining bloat is inherent to Adobe's products and is not Trouba's fault) ], but I guess from Adobe's perspective it's hard to argue with Adobe's success over the years. But then doesn't that kind of echo the history of Microsoft?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Chrome has flash support built in, so just use chrome and don't install flash at all. better to use chrome's flash as it is fully 100% sandboxed and a lot safer and easier than the alternative. I still use JAVA even though it's meant to be unsecured as well, the issue lays in the sites that you visit that may take advantage of 0-day exploits, as I don't go roaming for new sites and I use a good hosts file to block the really bad things, I don't have a problem with using Flash or Java on my PC all the time.