Weird occurrence downloading file to desktop on L10 LTSC RC5 2019.04

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by vanTorX, Dec 16, 2019.

1. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Hi there, I re-installed the latest offering of Last10 because I finally hosed down my old Last10 2015 windows - was struggling for disk space there since the OS was installed on a small MSata SSD 32 GB card, in a slot on motherboard and it didn't want to accept bigger size cards I had around.

Just FYI, OS runs just fine on that size drive under normal day to day computing, only limitation is when doing large single file downloads or re-coding videos - since it stores the file in temp dir on C:\ before depositing the result on D:\ drive (of course the user directory needs to be mapped to D on such a small OS drive).

While fishing for some extra space, I deleted manually some temp files and it resulted in constant refreshing (re-loading icons) of my desktop.

Now I got 'ZOT' mSATA 128GB which works, that's why I reinstalled and why not try out the latest LastOS edition.

--------------------------

I noticed that mention here about Sandboxie going freeware and I figured I should start using it so as to keep my fresh OS clean. I went to repo here and clicked Sandboxie and saved it to my desktop. However the file didn't show up on the desktop, although Win explorer showed it is there. If (in win explorer) I move it to other location and from there move or copy it back to the desktop, it shows up OK on the desktop.

My desktop is on D: drive and I didn't make a mistake downloading it to the C: drive desktop, I could tell from the desktop content and also I am not new to this having all my files on D: drive. I pressed S to cycle the icons on my desktop, in case I overlooked the downloaded file but it just wasn't there (anyway, it should just end up in first empty space among other icons).

If (using win explorer opened on desktop location) I move the file from desktop to other location and then right click it and drag to desktop and select in zip7 to extract the file into a folder on the desktop, another weird thing happens.
    The unzipped folder moves the 'This PC' icon one place down from the extreme left top position (where it is by default) and replaces it in that location (where previously This PC icon was).
    And if that wasn't enough, the .apz file I was unzipping appears on the desktop in the first available place for it (among the other icons there), but it has (1) added in the filename (as windows deals with extra copies of the same file by appending numerals to them). Normally I would expect only the extracted folder to appear on the desktop.

I don't download directly to desktop as a rule, only did that this time with sandboxie because I wasn't sure where I wanted it. I checked on my other PC with Last10 2015 and it works as it should, downloaded sandboxie.apz file normally shows up on the desktop (also mapped to D: drive)

Anyway, maybe you know right away what's going on?

2. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

OK, I solved it by googling around, following this advice:

Step 2. Check "show hidden files, folders and drives" (uncheck the option "Hide protected operating system files")

In my case, the 'show hidden files' was already on (checked), as we more tech windows users are used to have it. But needed to un-check the "Hide protected operating system files" option for the downloaded file to show up on the desktop. Normally I am used to have this option checked (to hide them), don't need to have that kind of access and it is better to have uncluttered file display in places where those system files show up. At most I go to Appdata but that location is not among protected operated system files.

---------
    However even now with 'protected operating system files' showing, extracting to desktop into a folder is the same issue, the extracted folder forces itself to be the first icon on the desktop (top left).

I guess this is not a 'deal breaker' for me, other issue I have with win10 newer than 2015 or maybe 2016 editions is more serious - the one about 'list view file selection' in win explorer I raised around here some time ago.

I found CubicExplorer and thought I nailed it but shortly found it had some other shortcomings and looked further and found Tablacus. For a while, I thought I found the ideal third party explorer to replace win native one but that also turned up in daily use to have some shortcomings (also a bug, selecting several files and choosing properties in right click menu collapses the explorer).
    I tried again XYplorer that Trouba supplied and it seems the best of the lot, still it is not ideal when it comes to windows Shell Integration plus some other annoying shortcoming of which I am not sure if its just a matter of configuration.

Anyway, I think I will try to make a peace with the native win explorer and failing that, I might consider reverting to Last10 2016 edition. I think that's the last one in which explorer was like it ever was :what:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

First of all it's Windows LTSC 2019 (may have even been the first LTSB) that introduced the issues, Last10 didn't change it's explorer tweaks at all between the 2015 and 2019 ones except for hiding the new 3D Shapes or whatever the new quick link in This PC was.

2nd the reason your extracted folder or dragged/dropped items on the desktop take the place of This PC is due to you dragging to the very edge of the screen, if you manage to have the whole icon shown 2 to 3 pixels away from the very edge of the screen it will put it in the first available space instead of thinking your dragging it to the columns before This PC... stupid I know, but not much we can do to fix it :(

I have never figured out why sometimes the Desktop (and even sometimes the downloads folder) doesn't update... As I am expecting a file/folder/shortcut to be created and it's not there, I left click the desktop and press F5 - this will show all the items correctly, I know for a FACT that explorer since RS2 has this issue as it also was the release that introduced the bug where it you pick "open with" and pick a custom item instead of one from the list, it will take minutes up to hours to actually open the app with the file you right clicked on - it's a weird issues and I thought more people would be reporting it so MS could work on it.

So in other words, there is really only work arounds for these kinds of issues as MS keep changing things under the hood, but not offering options for them (you're forced to use their new and improved bugs).

4. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Aaah, OK, that makes sense. Thanks, also thanks for the whole windows package. Will keep in mind 'F5' refresh and 'Open With' tips if I run into those glitches.

Mind you, you and Trouba must be some night birds :ninja: I mean the move to black backgrounds. For me, it takes some getting used to it. It is somewhat like if you repainted your living room walls black, also would feel like a different place. :sleep: At least now you can see those minimize, maximize & close icons in the title bars, not like in some previous editions of Last10 where those icons would only become visible when moused over.

Installed the themes and that UX patcher but deciding on a theme is not easy thing.

Trouba likes this.
  5. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Recently I raised the 'windows auto login to desktop upon startup' issue in the instant chat and decided to post some updated findings here as it is better place for it.

After several weeks of using the latest Last10 2019, I get auto logged in to desktop most of the PC startups, like maybe ten days in a row, but then comes a day when it asks me to input password, next day it doesn't, in short, the issue is intermittent. Luckily, it auto logs in some ninety percent of time.

The related issue of getting logged out of Skype along with not auto logging into windows desktop is what prompted me to make these notes. MS took over Skype some years ago and I just discovered, this Win10 edition moved the Skype settings from "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming" to "C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop".

The setting used to be in the previous location in Last10 2015, not sure which edition moved it to the new location. I spend part of almost every year abroad and I take with me backup of Skype setting to restore in the new destination. This time, I installed the Skype from the installer I have used for some time, so not the latest version and restored the settings into 'AppData/Roaming'. Subsequently, some weeks later, Skype auto updated and it must have moved its setting to the new location in AppData...

Since I am soon going abroad again, I went to back up Skype settings and couldn't find it. In AppData/Roaming, there was still Skype folder but empty except for the 'Logs' folder left in there (typical leftovers like when you uninstall a program). Funny thing is, the Skype folder size as seen in Properties panel was at times reporting to contain some 7.5 GB, which is ridiculous, then at other times it was 0 bytes in size.
    That I think is unrelated issue I ran into on this Last10 2019 edition - folder size calculation on mouse hover or in properties panel seems to be somewhat buggy or unreliable. Ran into it on other several occasions.

Really not sure if it is really needed to restore Skype settings (which also includes chat history) from backup, I have many years of chat I like to keep. I think Skype keeps on their servers only limited history, perhaps only the last several months?

Skype now keeps logging me in as it should, even when windows sometimes does not (like day before yesterday and again today). Probably the issue with Skype login was/is unrelated to it. Still, since MS took over Skype and is taking steps to 'integrate' it into its windows, perhaps Skype login is integrated with windows log on. Restoring Skype backup settings decidedly does not allow one to autologon on another PC, Skype login details are stored somewhere else, not in its settings.

To summarize, I don't want to make it seem like big issue(s). Its just something that things I took for granted in the past put me on edge, took off some degree of security in windows I used to have :sneaky:. Don't know if the issues are due to this win10 edition since I mostly used the edition that came with Last10 2015. This 2019 edition is also my first use of LTSB windows edition and the issues might be due to this kind of windows.

6. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

VanTorx, which image did you install from? Also I think you meant LTSC rather than LTSB, since you mention 2019.

Of course with Win10, they have Skype as an appx (modern app) OR you can install it as regular desktop app. Not sure what is the case for you -- I suppose you use the desktop version.

If you see a weird folder size for something, at that time also use a tool like WizFile (ppApp) and look at the actual folder size mentioned there to see if it matches. There shouldn't be a reason a tweak could cause Explorer not to read folder sizes correctly, or else that this would have been fixed in a subsequent update (did you update any?).

7. Glenn

I used to get wrong folder sizes reporting for even empty folders, turned out that I have hide system files turned on, seems that the sizes reported didn't include hidden files or folders, just worth checking your folder view options to make sure yours isn't the same problem.

8. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Yes, I meant LTSC, Skype is the desktop kind. I don't run windows update if you mean that.
    In the process of trying to find Skype setting folder in the old place, I checked that I have that 'Hide system files' OFF.

Its weird, today that old Skype settings folder that is now empty reports correctly 0 bytes, can't replicate it to report those many GBs, must have been some glitch or what.

Yesterday before I found out that Skype settings were moved to new location, I thought the settings files were still in the original location and that windows is preventing me to see them, maybe treating them as system files that are hidden... that's why I went to check if I am allowing to see them. And seeing a big folder size and when opening the folder, finding it empty, then showing zero size... it made me worried I somehow lost the setting or at least access to it.

But Skype worked and I managed to find the settings in the new place. Googling didn't help here, all help posts on the web still point people to the old settings location. Luckily I had a hunch to look inside Microsoft folders for it. BTW the size of the settings in my case is 25 MB.

--------------------------------------------
    Normally I like to have system files hidden (I think that's default setting), but on this install, I experimented with alternatives to win explorer and forgot why, but some features in one of them required me to have the system files visible. My favorites are 1) Tablacus, 2) Cubic Explorer, 3) A43 File Management Utility (32bit only - version A56 is also 64bit but file selection is 'full column line', my major criteria is 'file name only' selection).
    @Trouba - after not being completely satisfied with the above mentioned, I went back to XYplorer you supplied as ppApp but they all 'have something', and one common fault of all of them is the system shell integration. It works 'as advertised', the integration style differs a little among them, but ultimately they all still fall short, you just can't replace WinExplorer fully transparently in this regard.

I am back using WinExplorer and so gave up on 'single click to open/run files' option. Still it bothers me when I have a folder view completely full of files and I want to drag and drop another file in there. As you drag the file over the open folder, the file currently under your mouse cursor is highlighted and you have no 'white or empty space' available, and it gives an impression that you will drop the file into that selected directory... Well, it doesn't go in there, but still it bothers me this active highlighting under mouse cursor. That's why I prefer when only the file names are highlighted. Talking about list view but details view is even worse in many respects, don't understand why it is the default view.

/End of rant ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  9. Glenn

I agree that dragging and dropping files in Win 10 is terrible... But instead of changing to it's new methods I just changed how I move files now, I switched to pressing CTRL + X or + C and then when I am in the folder I want to paste to I press CTRL + V, in fact the only time I drag and drop is when I want to drag and drop into folders from a list/source location (using the shift key to change between copy or move). SO windows 10 has forced me to change how I use windows. I upvoted the bug listed on Microsoft's site, but I knew it wasn't gonna change anytime soon, so just learned to work around it instead of suffering it.

10. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I do not use single click to open/run, so it might be different, I don't know. I could never get the hang of single click to open/run - hover to select. I even prefer the checkbox option rather than single click. The checkbox option is exactly the same as double click, but with the added option of using a checkbox if you don't want to use two hands to select multiple files.

For drag-and-drop when there is no white space available to drop onto, I do one of two things:

1 - Drop onto the folder name in the tree view - but you have to be fast before the tree view expands and you end up dropping somewhere you didn't expect, or

2- MUCH more reliably, you can drop onto the status bar of the window you have open that doesn't have any white space available. The result is the same as dropping onto white space, and you can hover as long or little as you like with no ill effect that I am aware of. The drop doesn't occur until you release the mouse button, so you can change your mind before you release it, and either drop somewhere else, or move back to where the files came from or to a location that doesn't allow dropping if you want to effectively cancel.

At least that's the way Win 7 works for me, and I assume the Win 10 is the same?

11. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Drag and drop or ctrl-v works, but the destination dir does not update its file/folder list to let you see where the new item is placed among the other items (alphabetically or otherwise).

So if you're updating apps for example and place the new version of the app in your app folder, you have to then manually navigate to where the new file/folder is, to be able to delete the older version. In Win7, you drag and drop and the list of folders auto-sorts alphabetically.

The only workaround I've found after you drag and drop (or ctrl-v), is to then click the "Name" column of the directory, which will sort the alphabetically in the opposite order of what it was (so becomes Z-A from A-Z) but at least it shows you where, relatively, the new folder takes its place and lets you delete an older app folder.

Really, there is nothing helpful about this Win10 behavior, it is only steps backward from the functionality of Win7. It just makes the work flow on Win7 much smoother and easier. It is almost as though the developers don't use Windows themselves. It's almost as hard to get MS to listen as it is to get Facebook not to destroy the world's democracies.

Another very annoying thing is the file move dialogue in Win10. It is slow, and takes its sweet time even when the file is minuscule or even when you CANCEL the copy. In Win7, it only last as long as the actual file copy lasts. In Win10, the dialogue is super slow regardless of how small the file is (or you cancel it), breaking the workflow you have. It's these little things that makes everything stutter on Win10 for me, just getting things done is hacked up into clumsy timings and behaviors. This is why I always say, they have lost the UI research gained for Win7 and replaced it with something worse, not better.

Glenn likes this.
  12. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Good tip, didn't know that one.

I just tested drag 'n drop between local folders and it is not the case as I thought, that the file you drag doesn't drop into 'mouseover highlighted' folder in the destination - it does drop into it. Don't know how I came to that idea. The solution is to drop onto the status bar... thanks for the tip bphlpt
    Those 'checkboxes' strike me as meant for folks learning to use computer but there is that justification of one hand use that comes handy at times.

@Glenn - I guess I don't have much faith in clipboard, especially when you move (Ctrl-X) files GBs in size, but suppose that is just a misguided feeling, I imagine underneath it uses the same mechanism (just rewrite the file name to new location without the actual file moving on disk) or if it really uses RAM, the reliability is the same but it exercises hardware more?

Reason I don't use Ctrl-X-C-V method for moving of copying files is because it is slower, mover demanding on finger work, sort of like the old pros who grew up on DOS or Linux and prefer keyboard commanding everything, not use mouse at all (because they have to take one hand off keyboard, interrupting 'work flow' to use Trouba's term). But I use it for copying file names to paste elsewhere, to copy links I use mouse context menu and past via keys...

I have a tip if you use Ctrl modifier key often. Part of every of my windows install is modifying keyboard, swapping Ctrl & Alt keys on both sides, also map Caps Lock to act as a second Shift key (sometimes I disable Insert key or use it as CapsLock - need it for Czech language which places accents on capital letters accessed only via CapsLock).

Swapping Ctrl-Alt makes for much shorter finger reach when doing cut, copy, paste & undo operations. I started my computing in mid nineties on Macs and switched to PCs around the days when Win98 was the king. One thing I missed from Mac was the Command key, which is placed where PC keyboard has Alt key (It does on Mac what Ctrl does on PC). For some time now, I use 'sharpkeys35' to remap the keys, I used pre-made .reg file before that. Sharpkeys is a small free utility but if I wasn't lazy, I would look for some other out there. It doesn't save your configuration for re- using it the next time.

@Trouba "file move dialogue in Win10. It is slow"
    I wonder if your windows is messed up, ripe for re-install? I don't have that impression when I drag with right mouse button and select in destination to Move instead of Copy, if that's what you have in mind here.
    But I suppose, that's all in the eye of beholder, maybe what I find satisfactory is slow for you, especially if used frequently.

"The only workaround I've found after you drag and drop (or ctrl-v), is to then click the "Name" column of the directory"
    ->Press 'refresh' F5
    I think some third party explorers do sort automatically, or can be configured to do so. But here we run into that habit that I suppose we all have, we take the path of least resistance and end up using WinExplorer and put up with it :what: I know it is like that with me.
    I even configured those multipane explorers to use only single pane and also launch new instance from windows bar pinned link, to make it as much as possible like winexplorer but to no avail... :geek:

I plain hate the lack of info or choice when you Copy or Move a bunch of files and get told, the 'file name for the destination is too long', I think it even says something about renaming it but it doesn't provide for any renaming and only shows the file name, but I have no idea in which folder it is, so I could re-do the operation just with that particular folder afterwards to insure it is complete (usually needs to be put in .rar and move it packed, renaming would break funcionality). Again, I know some third party solutions do provide those options if I wasn't lazy :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  13. Glenn

I also move a file then press f5 then I press the down key then up key again to jump to the selected file. Dodgy to have to do this but does what we want.

14. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I believe I have made a final choice of explorers and the winner is XYplorer :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

Thanks Trouba for sending me your ppApp version. I did look at it several times over the years but always found the grass greener elsewhere but in the end, it turned out, it just looked greener :notworthy: from afar...

What made me decide this time was the availability of 'Branch View', which I think is sometimes called 'Flat View'.
    I have this folder that contains many files packed in rar, in multiple nested folders and nested rars, maybe thousand files like they do it out there in far East.
    I ran recursive un-rar on it from command line and then I wanted to look at included pictures that were scattered all over those nested folders. Went back to my explorer picks over past months and none had this 'flat view' on files except the XYplorer. I just used a filter to show only the pictures and I was in business. In the process, I uncovered a hidden feature of XYplorer, at least hidden for me, which is if you right click on menu icons, it gives you related choices in a context menu, like most commonly used filters etc.

And last, it has icon on toolbar 'Dark Mode' :ninja: nice and spiffy look for the night owls around here.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Trouba, bphlpt and Glenn like this.