Win 10 - Trick to remove all the apps off start menu Word ...

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ghost, Nov 27, 2023.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

.. Excel, Whats app, etc..

I found this DefaultLayouts.xml file by accident and read what was in it, low and behold it is the start menu layout with all the garbage in it , I deleted the file only and did a test in a VM and it works for not having all that garbage on the start menu, this is for the home/pro versions

My live system folder path is ..
    C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell <- in this folder is the .xml file

If you mount the pro/home image or enterprise editions with all the bloat garbage included it will be in folder

-> mounted_folder\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell <- in this folder is the .xml file

mount with read/write permissions, then go to the folder, take ownership of the DefaultLayouts.xml file and delete it, save/commit image and try it in a VM see if it cleans up the start menu, sure did for me :)

NOTE! I removed the basic apps with DISM in this pro image ( everything in the provisioned appx package removal that is legit ) but it always had the other clutter still there, so if you wanted to leave the appx packages alone and just delete the DefaultLayouts.xml and see what it does for you here you go.

NOTE2! I am using 10 LTSC and the same file is in this edition also with the same entries .. .

Win 10 Pro with removed appx packages via DISM, with DefaultLayouts.xml deleted from mounted image gives me this in a test VM.

EDIT: - It seems this file is in windows 11 23H2 also ;)

Untitled.png

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Glenn and Trouba like this.
  2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

You also check it this guide, it includes 2 xml's and a reg file to integrate into install.wim, as the xml's get placed in the Default user account (the one used to create new accounts). This is meant for install.wim integration, and the regs can be applied in our $RegTweaks method for Last-type images. I attached the zip from the first post of the guide, in case it requires you to register a forum account to download.

Attached Files:

Glenn likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Thanks @Trouba but I am already done with my images :)

Good addition to what I happen upon blindly LOL, great compliment to this thread.

Windows 11 is still a bust even for this easy task to get ride of the garbage.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    Trouba likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I did a win 11 23H2 with a delete gun ho mission and I succeeded until windows update, all was good upon reboot 2 icons was a dude , by default I had the old style right click back instead of the new win 11 23H2 style with the More right click.

I will post more later, maybe someone can throw brain power on this also LMAO , win 11 23H2 NOPE but still something to beat up LOL

:)