Win10 - Store Add-ins & Modern Apps, Etc

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Trouba, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

2. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Well , I found a good thing about Win 10 and system prepped images, they can take a beating.

No Autounattend.xml file with activation done (tested 3 times in VM ) , and no setupcomplete.cmd, all done via SYSPREP.

I will keep testing and make sure it can be done by ... all

EDIT: Maybe this needs to be moved to a separate thread and or link to, just a thought since this one is about addin's and such.

3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

VM's are exempt from activation. if you emulated a VM in a real system you can run it for free :p

4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

LOL, Thanks for that, I think I will sleep. I will give it a few days as I woke up Friday with a swollen stomach. I ate to much and feel asleep.

5. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about Windows 10 IoT Core / Core Pro or tried to do anything with it? From what I can gather it requires a Win10 workstation/tablet using an internet connection to even install it ...?

I'm guessing it won't have a whole lot of "junk" pack-ins; but I'm also wondering if it only runs strictly Universal Apps (UWP's) like some of the Surface RT's or if can run any desktop apps :coffee:

6. Glenn

It can run Desktop apps, but not x86 compiled ones, you need to compile your code to run on ARM chips, in other words you would have a LOT more code/software if you use Linux or Android OS's than WIoT, I am not even sure UWP's will all run as it is made for raspberry PI's and very low end hardware, The example I saw ran a top bar, but not a start menu. Not much info out there tho - even youtube is sparse.

The Freezer likes this.
  7. The Freezer

Yeah, that was my take away as well.

I did not know about the ARM issue. I know Intel made the Atom x86/x64-compatible. I was hoping there'd be some (useful) connection though.

Raspberry Pi. Odd you mention it. That's exactly why I was taking a closer look at Win10 IoT. ;)

8. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Embedded sucks for regular desktops, not sure for any other usage :D BTW I think NTLite has support for embedded as well, so that might come in handy if you need to customize the image for Raspberry Pi.

The Freezer likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

PC Game - Medal Of Honor 2010 does not work in Win 10 Ent LTSC 2019, I tried to get it to work but nope.

It is weird that some old games work and just a few years newer wont, .....

10. Glenn

11. The Freezer

Did some more digging on the ARM issue, and found this:

12. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

[​IMG]

Well I figured out this issue, it was Admin rights, I deleted the Administrator folder , as I was doing a VM and working in my desktop at the same time, both looked identical and well I deleted the wrong Admin user folder, reinstalled and the game works fine now. I knew it worked as I played it in another install of LTSC so I knew there was a issue with 'something'

Thanks @Trouba, that pointed me into the right path to the issue, it was PhysX app that would not install without Admin rights

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  13. Trouba

Ghost likes this.
  14. Trouba

I just find it amazing how MS has been failing so badly, and we've all been telling them these very things about Windows RT from the beginning, as well as Start Menu, interface, Store, etc... As you article states:

EDIT: by the way, we shouldn't mince words: when MS tried out RT, that was in fact them acknowledging that Apple's approach to iOS for tablets & phones was the correct approach -- yet all the while MS' official stance had been that they waited to bring full desktop capability to mobile devices and that this is how they explained their wait game. They were acting typically OS-centric, when the fact is that the tech is driven hardware-centric. He who hath ears to hear...

15. Glenn

I like the direction MS has gone with this, it worked for dos based things via cmd.exe and it worked for win16 in win32 and then syswow64 has worked for x86 .exe's in x64. Of cause converting x86 at the cpu level into arm will be quite a bit slower, BUT the speeds are still going up and multiple cores make the tech work better than a single core trying to so everything like old emulation had to deal with. I REALLY just want MS to partner with bluestacks to bring Android's store to their ARM chips, this would make life unbelievably better than any other platform (so long as MS's security features are up to scratch, sandboxing apps is the only way that really works now, there is no reason for any apps to have system wide access anymore and it's slack that so many still do). I hope they are able to get it to work on a x64 .exe eventually as x86 is a older tech now and should only ever be the stepping stone.

I don't believe MS are listening still, I think they just tried to use their own devices and realized nothing worked, they couldn't do what they wanted and nobody was "inspired", "excited", "anticipating" their ARM products ever. how bad is it that Surface RT was such good hardware for the time, but they limited it with a OS that had nothing exciting to offer and nothing useful would work. Their store has improved with desktop apps that are touch compatible etc being offered in the store as well as the less powerful UWP. It's not like app makers could keep their core and just build a new GUI, they required a full rewrite for yet another system, then the bugs would cripple users. It was a mess and many things still feel unfinished and lacking any polish IMO. Plus Windows 7 was beautiful and everything above is damn ugly still.

16. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

@Freezer, The article you quoted is from 2016 and talked about what was going to happen a few months after the article was published. So the questions are: did it happen, does it work and how well, and is it supported?

17. The Freezer

I'm not sure. I haven't read or heard anything that confirms this. I had switch tracks slightly to look into android emulation in Windows instead -- found Bluestacks, as Glenn mentions above -- but also another project using VirtualBox to run android. I imagine the virtual-hardware is using ARM; so perhaps installing Win10 on there in place of android might produce some answers.

18. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Setting WinPE to use high-performance mode will speed deployment.

If you want to make sure that WinPE always runs in high-performance mode, you can modify startnet.cmd in the WinPE image.

Using notepad, open startnet.cmd in and add the following line ..

Code:
    powercfg /s 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
    save the file and unmount the boot.wim image.

NOTE this is Windows PE in boot.wim, which is image 1

C:\test\sources\boot.wim\1\Windows\System32\startnet.cmd

NOTE 2: You can also add it to the image 2 startnet.cmd

C:\test\sources\boot.wim\2\Windows\System32\startnet.cmd

Trouba likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Also, I found if you want to get a few more MB's just export boot.wim image 1 out and mod it, then export with compression and viola a smaller boot.wim that is for clean install ONLY.

20. Michael740

Michael740 Guest

Just Something I found out and Thought I would Share
    So I just found a to Winareo for a Download of Winaero Tweaker and right there now Windows 10 build 20270 and there just like it said on the one computer that I paid for Windows 10. In an Update a couple of weeks ago I got the Win 10 20H2. Also, I had to click a link in the update area to get Windows Feature Experience Pack Update. So of course, I did and after a restart, the first page I opened was the system in Control Panel, and man there is so much on that page now. It has been a long time since they did an actual Build and it's not quite there from what I understand. So If you have a Windows that gets the full updates then you can go here (Create a Check for updates shortcut in Windows 10 (winaero.com) ) and that's how I got the Experience. I didn't realize that there hadn't been a newer version since what 2009 1904 1&2. So I see why now so many Win 10's out there. Just Sayin:cool: So will there be a new LastOS coming out of this new Build. :emoji_fingers_crossed: Well th th th that's IT! :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

21. Trouba

Cool :) Also, in the LastOS10 builds we include a little utility by Microsoft called wushowhide.diagcab which is also referred to as "Show or hide updates" -- we made it so it is part of the System Tools cascading desktop context menu. It is better than WU at checking updates because it lets you preview available updates (and drivers) and allows you to choose which ones you want to "hide" so that when you go to WU proper after it, it won't automatically offer and install the updates you have chosen to hide. For example, you may not want to use Defender, Malicious Code updates, or a certain system update; so you can just set those to hide using wushowhide and after that run WU to get the updates you want.

You can get the utility directly from MS here.