Win11 - Talk, Tweaks, Rants & Findings

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Trouba, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

So I thought I'd make a quick, informal thread for discussing Windows 11. Air anything you want about Win11 here: any tweaks you may find useful or interesting, any findings you come across, your experiences with Win11, your wish-list for Win11, etc.

I'll start. I came across this tweak at MDL, but it was originally posted at Reddit:

Restore classic right-click menus, system-wide:
    Code:
    ;Restores classic right-click system-wide
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FeatureManagement\Overrides\4\586118283]
    "EnabledState"=dword:00000001
    "EnabledStateOptions=dword:00000001
    "Variant"=dword:00000000
    "VariantPayload"=dword:00000000
    "VariantPayloadKind"=dword:00000000
    This will require a reboot.

00Proteus00, mircea and The Freezer like this.
  2. Trouba

Yesterday, I shared a reg tweak which also brings back the classic right-click menus, plus it gets rid of the centralized taskbar and puts the start button back to the left along with the pinned items. But this tweak is not without problems, as it made the time/date area in the taskbar disappear. So for now I would recommend not using the following reg tweak but I'll list it here anyway for testing purposes:
    Code:
    [;Reverts taskbar to have start button and items on left side, and disables new right-click context menu overlay (reverts to old style context menus)
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages]
    "UndockingDisabled"=dword:00000001

mircea likes this.
  3. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Good idea. I was thinking of suggesting something similar. Too bad we can't pull all those from the shoutbox here. :coffee:

Yeah, that is a weird consequence of "undocking" it. I wonder if that means the TD can now be pinned (somehow). :what:

mircea and Trouba like this.
  4. Trouba

For now, I think there is a better solution than using the reg tweak in post #2 (in other words, best to remove it). Enable the tweak from post #1, plus the following tweak which aligns the Taskbar items (plus start button) to the left, whilst retaining the new start menu and minus the bugs encountered with the tweak from post #2:
    Code:
    ;Aligns Taskbar items (including Start button) to the left (value "1" will revert it to the middle)
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "TaskbarAl"=dword:00000000

mircea likes this.
  5. The Freezer

Too bad about that "7+ Taskbar Tweaker" though. I guess right now it's "7 to 10 Taskbar Tweaker". LOL

mircea and Trouba like this.
  6. Trouba

This is a weird one. Save it as a .cmd script and when you run it, it will let you choose the size of the Taskbar. I can't find a use for this myself but it may come in handy one day?
    Code:
    :nashalo
    Echo ============ Choose: ============
    Echo Small TaskBar - 0
    Echo Medium TaskBar - 1
    Echo Big TaskBar - 2
    Set /p vibor="Number: "

if "%vibor%"=="0" (
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v TaskbarSi /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    ) else if "%vibor%"=="1" (
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v TaskbarSi /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    ) else if "%vibor%"=="2" (
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v TaskbarSi /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    ) else (Echo Wrong! & goto nashalo)

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
    start explorer.exe
    goto nashalo
    pause >nule >nul
    @echo off

mircea and unitop4 like this.
  7. Trouba

The following reg tweak forces the Win10-style start menu:
    Code:
    ;Revert to Win10-style start menu (value "0" will change it back to Win11-style start menu)
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
    "Start_ShowClassicMode"=dword:00000001
    Requires desktop right-click -> Personalize Extra -> Explorer Icon Refresh, or Sign out/in, or Reboot to activate.

This tweak works best in tandem with the Taskbar left alignment tweak from post #4 as it will open the Win10-style start menu on the left.

mircea likes this.
  8. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Your wish is my command, dear sir. [copy of the shoutbox from June 16 to today, July 6 below]

(I know it's got a few non-Win11 comments in it as well, but this way was very easy to do. If any admin wishes to do so, they are welcome to edit this post and remove the non-desired posts.)

1. [​IMG] Jun 16, 2021 - Trouba:
      Windows 11 and its ROUNDED corners for both modern UI elements and Explorer: https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu
    2. [​IMG] Jun 16, 2021 - Trouba:
      For the longest time I was convinced they were only going to do rounded corners for modern UI elements but they went further. It feels more Linux-like which is not a bad thing.
    3. [​IMG] Jun 16, 2021 - Trouba:
      At last, something to be excited about.
    4. [​IMG] Jun 16, 2021 - vanTorX:
      Somebody on another forum I frequent managed to get hold of this 'release' and installed it in VM, people commented that it copies Linux 'KDE Plasma'
    5. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - 57331:
      Heard of it, but I haven't tried it out in a VM yet. However, I found a currently working download link, so, here you go, enjoy. ;) https://techviral.net/download-windows-11-iso/.
    6. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - Trouba:
      Just remember this is Microsoft, so they still have plenty of time to mess things up.
    7. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - mortmaru:
      Is it really going to be called Win11? MS stated years ago their would be no Win11 it was looking towards a different model and naming structure.
    8. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - Phoenix:
      hey guys anyone heard frm porteus?
    9. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - Trouba:
      I thought the same thing, mortmaru. Apparently it will be Win11.
    10. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - mortmaru:
      This sums up MS so full of s**t now and it just seems so weird how all the insider builds show as big Win10 updates (makes no sense Win11 fix Win10)
    11. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - Trouba:
      I'm always astounded to see how little manpower they must actually have on, say, UI. Because from major Windows version to another, they have all these old hold-outs like icons, Win7 style Setup, and all kinds of mixed elements that just give the impression of an OS that isn't finished. At least with perpetual W10 they could have gptten away with it a bit more in that it's always in development :D
    12. [​IMG] Jun 18, 2021 - Trouba:
      But maybe the leak is a good thing, in that now everyone is expecting rounded UI corners, so it may be harder for them to back out of that now.
    13. [​IMG] Jun 19, 2021 - mortmaru:
      Manpower wise they released 70% of the developement team switching to using real world data no wonder why W10 was such a mess. I personally don't care much about fancy looks round edges or straight dont really care features like this should be bottom of the list solid base is much more important.
    14. [​IMG] Jun 19, 2021 - mortmaru:
      I would laugh if with the leak showing W11 they end up releasing it an its a big service pack for W10 as they stated would be the model originally which make more sense.
    15. [​IMG] Jun 19, 2021 - mortmaru:
      MS direction wise don't have a clue what they are doing (excluding cloud services etc) if it wasn't for their current status they would be in trouble
    16. [​IMG] Jun 19, 2021 - Trouba:
      Yeah I don't think what the people at the UI department do will affect the core of the OS much... I just prefer UIs that don't look like a 5 year old kid made it :D (right now it looks more like a 12 year old kid made it)
    17. [​IMG] Jun 19, 2021 - The Freezer:
      @Phoenix, do you mean Proteus? If so, I don't think he's been around in over a month now. Hopefully he's alright. :unsure:
    18. [​IMG] Jun 19, 2021 - billybob62:
      Just saw thar he checked in over on Team OS!
    19. [​IMG] Jun 20, 2021 - Glenn:
      That's good, the work Proteus is doing is very draining and I appreciate the fact he is still continuing the keep it all public... so if he needs time off to recharge and do the other parts of life it's a good thing as balance in life is essential. I am happy to see everyone shouting and whispering here at LastOS.
    20. [​IMG] Jun 20, 2021 - Glenn:
      Windows 11 hey... well that is a pleasant surprise, one more attempt at getting things right with options (for now ) too.
    21. [​IMG] Jun 22, 2021 - Trouba:
      Does this mean Last22, Glenn? :D
    22. [​IMG] Jun 23, 2021 - Ghost:
      LastPi ...?
    23. [​IMG] Jun 24, 2021 - mircea:
      Windows 11 will work for [64bit] for oloder computers?Or its the same "DEAL" "CARTEL" to buy new computer to make world spin for hy shoots? ;)
    24. [​IMG] Jun 24, 2021 - Trouba:
      It is probably a given that this intro to Win11 is more glassy than actual Win11 will be in use, but I am still pleased that they have realized that, after all, glass (depth) is where it's at: | And it also can't be understated how good it is they got rid of those sharp corners that cut your eyeballs.
    25. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - bphlpt:
      Thanks for the links, T! It does look pretty good. A link you might also want to check out is this one - - from Linus Tech Tips. Biggest problem I see is that Win 11 doesn't seem that it will be applicable to anything but the newest PCs
    26. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - bphlpt:
      Privacy? Modifiable? Who knows. I would expect the version most appropriate to LAstOS users will be the LTSC equivalent, whenever ( if? ) it is available. But that's just my guess.
    27. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - bphlpt:
      This is MS, after all, so I don't exactly have my hopes up very high. LOL
    28. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - The Freezer:
      Yes, hopefully customizable (and maybe through themes) as there are users now that prefer the square corners and flat-look (no glass, no drop-shadows, etc).
    29. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - The Freezer:
      As I found out with work on Last9 and LastX, things such as translucency, shadows, better color palettes, and rounded, thicker geometry are key to an illusion of depth (and usability for me).
    30. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - Trouba:
      I think the square corner crowd is partially explained by oppositional defiance disorder :D I did notice in the video they were talking about updates for Win11 being on average 40% smaller (compared to Win10 I imagine) so I was wondering if this has any particular bearing on WinSxS and if it will be easier or harder to remove components (NTLite for modification).
    31. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - Trouba:
      I imagine it won't be that hard to block unwanted communications, but perhaps a bit harder if you would choose to use Edge since that is now so intergral to the OS. Personally, I'm not worried about it. I'm not Russia or China, nor am I trying to overthrow the government, and if you're not using Tor Browers inside a VM or using TAILS on a throwaway laptop, you probably have little to hide :D
    32. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - Trouba:
      You're right, BP, about the system requirements. I don't think I could run Win11 on my components. I could run it on my laptop, I think, since it came with Win10. You can't even run the system compat checker tool for it on Win7, lol. I think minimum to run it to check is Win10 1803
    33. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - Trouba:
      https://download.microsoft.com/down...55-bc657c939b47/WindowsPCHealthCheckSetup.msi
    34. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - mircea:
      TROUBA the most patient person from LastOs :) ;)
    35. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - mircea:
      :emoji_tropical_drink: :emoji_trumpet: :emoji_wine_glass: HAVE A NICE WEKEND TROUBA.
    36. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - mircea:
      HAVE A NICE WEEKEND TO ALL USERS THAT ENTERED IN THIS WEKEND :) :emoji_video_game:
    37. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - mircea:
      EVERY COMPUTER THAT U HAVE MY DEAR USERS, JUST ASK TROUBA FOR ELP AND U WILL FIND THAT YOUER PORPOSE WILL FIND ANSWER AND SOLUTIONS :) :) ;)
    38. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - mircea:
      JUST ASK TROUBA AND WILL GUIDE U TO BEST WINDOWS FOR YOUR SISTEMS. ;)
    39. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - mircea:
      EVERY COMPUTERS THAT U HAVE MY DEAR USERS, JUST ASK TROUBA FOR HELP AND U WILL FIND THAT YOUR PORPUSE WILL FIND ANSWER AND SOLUTIONS
    40. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - mircea:
      JUST ASK TROUBA AND WILL GUIDE U TO BEST WINDOWS FOR YOUR SYSTEM :)
    41. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - bphlpt:
      All Hail Trouba! :) LOL
    42. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - Trouba:
      LOL, I am afraid I don't deserve all the praise -- not even close
    43. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - Trouba:
      But I think it's fair to say I helped mircea, or at least I'm getting the impression I have helped him :D
    44. [​IMG] Jun 26, 2021 - Trouba:
      Remove SecureBoot and TPM 2.0 requirements for installing Win11 (for now): https://github.com/osx86-ijb/bypass-windows11-requirements -- or just place install.esd in Win10 iso. This may all change. Another Win11 checker: https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/
    45. [​IMG] Jun 27, 2021 - Trouba:
      I installed the leaked build in VM; interestingly, before you install VB extension pack inside the VM (and hence drivers), the explorer windows have square corners like Win10. So it is not like Win7 which always retains rounded corners (even in non-aero mode), regardless of your driver/graphics situation. But once the drivers are installed you get rounded corners.
    46. [​IMG] Jun 27, 2021 - Trouba:
      Modern UI type dialogues and windows have rounded corners regardless of drivers in my test. As far as using it for daily tasks, I'd have to install it on real hardware because VMs run kinda slow and wonky. May try to drop the esd in a Last10 type build to see what happens
    47. [​IMG] Jun 27, 2021 - Herman Munster:
      wWhat
    48. [​IMG] Jun 27, 2021 - Trouba:
      Yep, plopped the Win11 install.wim in a Last10 Pro build from 2020.02 I made and it installed automated and activated, the only thing not working as intended are the icon allocations for context menus because Win11 has a (partially) new icon set so the icon numbering inside the dll's has changed. This is in VM but looks like the Last10 template is largely useable (autounattend.xml, etc.)
    49. [​IMG] Jun 27, 2021 - Trouba:
      You can still turn Defender off via Disable Control utility and the OneDrive uninstallation script (firstlogon) still works too so really everything pretty much works except the reg file needs to be updated for the correct icon allocations for the context menus. Even the taskbar item removal exe's we made work to remove Edge, Store, etc.
    50. [​IMG] Jun 27, 2021 - Trouba:
      When you have explorer open in detail view, I noticed the space between icons/folders etc are larger than in Win7-10. If Win7-10 was 1 line space, this would be 1.5 line space.
    51. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      People are talking about Windows 11: new icons, new VS, features, etc. But no one even bothered to mention there is a 1.6gb Edge folder in Program Files x86. It's actually 4 folders with Edge core, webview, installers times 4, etc. Each folder is about 400mb. It is even crazier than that double Edge installer in WinSxS I was complaining about in Win10.
    52. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      And one of the installers in that folder I plucked out of there and installed in Win7. It is the same Edge installer. It should not take up more than one installer and installed Edge. At most 500mb. Not 1.6gb. MS...
    53. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - bphlpt:
      From the description of your experience, It sounds like it's really just another "update" to Win 10, once it's installed. In that case, I wonder what will happen to a Win 11 "install" that is forced onto officially "incompatible" older hardware if a Win 11 update comes along? I would assume hardware checks will be made, but maybe not?
    54. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - bphlpt:
      A LastX version of Win 11 might be interesting after all, but i would think a LTSC version will still be more stable.
    55. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - bphlpt:
      So, are there not any aspects of the system that even notice that Secure Boot or TPM aren't there? Then what purpose do those functions even serve? Are they like the Firewall and AV that can provide security measures, but if they are turned off, bypassed, or removed then they are just ignored?
    56. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - bphlpt:
      As to the extra icon spacing, I think I mentioned an app that NoelC uses in his Win 10 installs to fix that. It might work in Win 11 as well. I think I referred to it regarding Freezer's LastX efforts.
    57. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      If we could get a LTSC version to install on "incompatible" hardware (within reason), even through hacks like putting install.wim in Win10 iso, etc., it is likely to remain a viable option as they don't make many big changes to LTSC. But it is so early days. I should try it on my hardware, I made a (Pro) image last night.
    58. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      As far as the extra spacing, it is not something I ever noticed like that in Win10, so I'd say whatever I noticed is Win11-specific. I'm not sure if it will be one of those things that will keep bugging me, or if I could get used to it.
    59. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      And yes, of course it is Win10 made-over, it is not a drastically different experience. As I made images regularly, I often complained about how Win10 was just this perpetual beta or flux with new features introducted whilst retaining ancient elements from even Win7 or before. You could tell, looking back, that they were building toward this in some of the features that got introduced in Win10.
    60. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      This may still change, but it appeared to me that one of the ways (besides rounded corners) they give definition and a sense of depth to explorer type windows is by casting a shadow around such windows, yes, but with an area various pixels wide where there is no shadow (or less), which creates a certain definition to UI elements
    61. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      Honestly, despite the rounded corners on windows, the min-max-exit title bar buttons are still ugly as hell. It is literally not even one step above Server Workstation buttons.
    62. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      But other than that, this image is surprisingly finished in many ways. Many UI elements have been upgraded and it makes a big difference in the user experience. I don't see any major downside to running this even now, given that it works on one's hardware.
    63. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      One other thing I noticed is that the Notepad2-mod hack that takes over Notepad is no longer working. In calling Notepad, Notepad loads :) Not Notepad2-mod. So if that can't be fixed (I'm thinking of it being included in desktop context menu) maybe just include Notepad2-mod in the image and point the context menu reg to that.
    64. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      I used sysprep to update the image (there was one dotNET update) and this worked fine, however enabling (the feature) .NET 3.5 would not allow downloading it from the web which is the way I normally enable it. But, you can enable/install dotNET 3.5 via the Win11 iso via script as the image (just like with Win10) includes a .cab for that on the iso.
    65. [​IMG] Jun 28, 2021 - Trouba:
      The wushowhide.diagcab (to block certain updates, to run before running WU) that I had been using was not quite working. I found a new one and it was made 4 days ago by MS so they updated it (probably for Win11). So the new one will have to be included in Win11 builds.
    66. [​IMG] Jun 29, 2021 - Trouba:
      I'm on Win11 live now, installed on older PC without TPM, in MBR mode, and once installed I plugged in the wireless dongle and entered my wifi pass and it automatically downloaded all my drivers, including my graphics drivers for a DirectX11 card. I used a Win10 based image and used the 11 install.wim. So almost all that should not be possible :D
    67. [​IMG] Jun 29, 2021 - Trouba:
      For some reason my taskbar is entirely transparent, I'm not sure if that is from a reg tweak leftover (I used Last10 Image I made and retained most reg tweaks). I like it, but there must be a reg tweak that is causing that because that is not default behavior as far as I know. Otherwise everything runs well, amazingly functional image for a leak.
    68. [​IMG] Jun 29, 2021 - unitop4:
      Windows 11 Pro (22000.51) Insider Preview is out now.
    69. [​IMG] Jun 29, 2021 - Trouba:
      Ah, thank you! I'm trying to get a UUP cumulative update right now, but it's been downloading a while now, putting that 40% smaller update size to the test :D
    70. [​IMG] Jun 29, 2021 - Trouba:
      Wow, a lot has already changed in 22000.51... desktop context menu has another layer on top, and only when you click the bottom of it to "Show more options" you see the actual desktop context menu as we know it. It has more of a modern shell around things in the build. Also, Settings is quite different now. Explorer also very different (gone the huge ribbon bar). Etc. I kind of like it so far.
    71. [​IMG] Wednesday at 11:54 AM - Trouba:
      I have the leaked build installed on this PC which is Z77 era with DX11 graphics card. Status is I'm able to do anything, even gaming (older game but still). The only thing I encountered was when capturing install.wim from mounted VHD drive, which took muchhhh longer than usual. Not sure why, did some disk benchmarks and I don't think it's that/drivers. Did use older Win10 WADK ppApp.
    72. [​IMG] Wednesday at 11:56 AM - Trouba:
      Tonight or so I'll install first insider build and see how that goes. I'm not messing with Win11 iso, only its install.wim. Using one of my Last10 images (minus LivePE) as base with modifications. Fully automated installs with activation, no major problems. Very functional.
    73. [​IMG] Wednesday at 5:17 PM - mircea:
      Hve i the nice evenibgn TROUBA ;)
    74. [​IMG] Wednesday at 5:18 PM - mircea:
      Hail Trouba like nold frineds wants :)
    75. [​IMG] Wednesday at 5:27 PM - Trouba:
      (y) Well, Win11 Insider installed live now, largely working with Last10 tweaks and such. As noted before, quite a few UI changes but overall I'm liking it.
    76. [​IMG] Wednesday at 5:27 PM - mircea:
      Hails TROUBA.Yes we speak whit people that understend compasion and empathy,So stop make a mockery aboit it.. :)
    77. [​IMG] Wednesday at 5:30 PM - Trouba:
      indeed, hail mircea!
    78. [​IMG] Wednesday at 5:32 PM - mircea:
      Hail good souls :)
    79. [​IMG] Wednesday at 5:47 PM - mircea:
      THANK YOUS TROUBA :) This will be a Thank youg against stupid people that tru to bta game against true friendship :)
    80. [​IMG] Thursday at 12:28 AM - Trouba:
      If anyone is interested in a LastOS-style Win11 Insider Build let me know via PM. This has Win10 boot.wim and will install on pretty much any PC and in MBR mode if you want, etc. (Last11)
    81. [​IMG] Thursday at 4:11 PM - 6100m:
      Heyo trouba :) Lately ive been focused om so modding, and today I'm going to attempt a USB install of Lastxp. Hope using a different usb will allow it to get to the app install screen. How have you been lately btw?
    82. [​IMG] Thursday at 4:12 PM - Trouba:
      Heya 6100m, I've been fine, how about you? LastXP eh, hopefully it'll work out okay. I see we're ranging from Win XP to 11 here, always something going on :D
    83. [​IMG] Thursday at 7:17 PM - unitop4:
      tried to pm you trouba but ut says :This member limits who may view their full profile. Id love a LastOS-dtyle win11 insider build.
    84. [​IMG] Thursday at 7:32 PM - Trouba:
      Okay, PMd you. Not sure what is going on with PMs, I'll look into it. I guess whoever else wants to try can just tell me in the shoutbox to be sure. EDIT: hopefully I fixed the profile issue.
    85. [​IMG] Thursday at 10:24 PM - 6100m:
      Oh good :) I'm playing with a chess bot today as well, found a licensed version of Chess Bot 0.82 that was modded by a hacker named "Lava". Rather fun software, hope I can learn how to use it shortly.
    86. [​IMG] Thursday at 10:57 PM - Trouba:
      I was so tired I was playing Win11 Solitaire LOL
    87. [​IMG] Saturday at 6:30 PM - mircea:
      "Drag and drop" its a very old comandd and very sneaky from even Windows98 second edition.Mea culpa TROUBA.Have a nice wekend. :sneaky:
    88. [​IMG] Saturday at 7:04 PM - Trouba:
      It's just "drag" and "drop" -- it's so easy it can be hard :D
    89. [​IMG] Saturday at 7:06 PM - Trouba:
      (mircea's cpu generation is *sort of* 64-bit in that it can actually support 64-bit Windows but when you use 64-bit boot.wim / setup it won't work. This is why my Last7 with x86 PE worked for him, but Lastt11 did not work so I helped him add Win10 32-bit boot files to see if that works)
    90. [​IMG] Saturday at 7:06 PM - mircea:
      When u are clumsy its very hard :)
    91. [​IMG] Saturday at 7:07 PM - Trouba:
      Well, first time doing stuff like this is not easy, but second and third time it gets better :D
    92. [​IMG] Saturday at 7:14 PM - mircea:
      Indeed i never use ultraiso for this complicated job.
    93. [​IMG] Saturday at 7:16 PM - mircea:
      I downloaded your video for the next aventures...i presume the steps are the same?
    94. [​IMG] Saturday at 7:18 PM - Trouba:
      Well, it will be good to have the example vid in case you forget
    95. [​IMG] Sunday at 12:39 PM - The Freezer:
      Thanks for Last11, T -- I want to try it out and see for myself if MS finally came through ;)
    96. [​IMG] Sunday at 12:41 PM - The Freezer:
      Oh yeah, WinAero Tweaker has updated their all-in-one to include Windows 11 (version 1.20, June 29, 2021): https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/
    97. [​IMG] Sunday at 1:32 PM - Trouba:
      Okay Freezer :) Well, as always it's a mixed bag and there may still be some changes coming down the pike. But it's worth a test run or two :D
    98. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:32 PM - Ghost:
      I have a few systems that I do not use, could donate parts to mircea to upgrade their system to true 64 bit quad core platform
    99. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:42 PM - mircea:
      @Thanks very much.U are a gentleman.But please donate to a poor guy or child.Im ok...I could buy a second hand computer but...i love my computer...+ i dont have so much time free :) ;)
    100. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:42 PM - Ghost:
      I have a few cpu's also if anone needs a easy upgrade, intel and AMD
    101. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:43 PM - Ghost:
      most people I know have cell phones and do not use a home computer LOL
    102. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:45 PM - The Freezer:
      LOL, Tech Broiler says Windows 11 is a glorified theme pack we can all live with: Windows 11
    103. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:49 PM - Ghost:
      it is Freeze, its exactly that, I watched a video maybe over a year ago about how MS cut their testing down to almost nothing compared to years before , just sucks how 10 PC's can tell them all is good and push it out. When in reality there is 1000's of combinations of pc when built custom
    104. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:51 PM - Ghost:
      MS nees to take out the privacy and tracking stuff for everyone to be ok with that side of the OS, then the control of updates like it was in win 7 etc.. THEN they will be doing the right thing
    105. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:52 PM - Ghost:
      not privacy but the telemetry part, isnt that privacy also?
    106. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:53 PM - Ghost:
      invasion of privacy is what I was thinking, I need another beer LOL
    107. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:55 PM - Ghost:
      base os like win 7/ Vista/ XP etc..
    108. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:57 PM - Ghost:
      yep MS is getting PAID to put all that useless garbage in the base OS, let alone what I see in a boxed PC from best buy or walmart = Yicks
    109. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:58 PM - mircea:
      @Ghost.Now is clear for everyone that Bill and PC pruducers need more mony atonce.Not tomorow..Right now :)
    110. [​IMG] Sunday at 2:59 PM - Ghost:
      I do have desktop and laptop parts that I will be recycling if I can not find anyone that wants them., free
    111. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:07 PM - The Freezer:
      Is it true that PCs and laptops with processors from only a few years ago (even 2018) won't work with Windows 11? Anything older than the 8th gen or so? (Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake) and later, or AMD Zen+ or later
    112. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:11 PM - Ghost:
      im on win 7 and used vmware workstation 15 free and installed win 11 dev with no problems, i have a ryzen 5 2600, its win 7 that is closed off to the newer hadware
    113. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:12 PM - mircea:
      Its true.But here are the best tech guys from world like TROUBA that will find some workaround for some older PC. :)
    114. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:12 PM - The Freezer:
      It appears to get better: Legacy BIOS is no longer supported; a UEFI system with Secure Boot and a TPM 2.0 security coprocessor is now required.
    115. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:13 PM - The Freezer:
      Yeah, even Windows 8/8.1 is closed off to the newer gen hardware
    116. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:13 PM - Ghost:
      we still are in infant stage with 11, so yes it will get BETTER, clears throat - WORSE LOL
    117. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:14 PM - mircea:
      Ofcourse....So stupid users need a fresh OS?The give us moore mony.
    118. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:15 PM - The Freezer:
      But without some editing of the installation media, it won't install on Win7-era hardware.
    119. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:16 PM - The Freezer:
      Hey, Ghost... what's the specs on that hardware you're looking to unload?
    120. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:17 PM - The Freezer:
      (PM me, if you'd rather) :cool:
    121. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:17 PM - Ghost:
      Right Freeze, older hardware is being phased out now .... Buy a new PC or upgrade your hardware moment
    122. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:18 PM - mircea:
      Divide-and-conquer all users.
    123. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:20 PM - Ghost:
      Freeze, about 20 or so CPU's that are mobile chips, and prolly about 10 desktop CPU's, I will get a quick text info done
    124. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:21 PM - Ghost:
      I have dvd drives for laptops like 30 or more, a few desktop dvd drives
    125. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:22 PM - Ghost:
      laptop hard drives out of broken screen, or motherboard bad systems ..
    126. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:28 PM - Ghost:
      mobile i3 and maybe i5 chips, desktop i3 and again maybe 15 , and most the AMD is turion and APU type and desktp APU type and Phenom II tri core mobile and quad core desktop, just a rough guess
    127. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:29 PM - Ghost:
      ill get a list goin, yes easier LOL
    128. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:30 PM - Ghost:
      I have 2 laptops also, 1 intel and other ? both work, just keyboards are screwed up as usuall
    129. [​IMG] Sunday at 3:31 PM - Ghost:
      Ohh and laptop memory and desktop memory
    130. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:13 PM - Trouba:
      That's why I used Win10 setup/boot files, circumvents all that easily. Well, it works fine on my Sandy Bridge hardware. Even then there are other ways to circumvent TPM checks, etc, by placing certain files from Win10 iso on 11 iso
    131. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:14 PM - Trouba:
      Try it! It will probably work no problem. I did select "Add fixes for older BIOSes...." in Rufus if that makes a difference, and I formatted for MBR, not GPT, and just installed it on MBR C partition that used to have Win7. Works fine
    132. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:15 PM - Trouba:
      If you want to use straight 11 iso, you can use these methods: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/win-11-boot-and-upgrade-fix-kit-v1-7.83724/
    133. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:15 PM - Trouba:
      Just DO IT :D
    134. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:30 PM - Trouba:
      The requirements will not be a problem, and MS is already softening their tone on that also. You can change out some files that check for system state like appraiserres.dll but again Win11 is not final yet and, I think, rather than hardening requirements they will rather be softening.
    135. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:34 PM - Trouba:
      It is basically WIn10 with UI changes and wider Store app support. But we all knew that, there is no way they develop an entire new OS from scratch and not use Win10 base. I think hardware reqs are mostly meant for OEM partners, but then MS gets knocked out of their bubble when millions of users want to install it on officially unsupported hardware (like they couldn't see that coming) and so
    136. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:35 PM - Trouba:
      requirements are bound to a) reduce, or b) they will not work specifically to counter bypassing measures discovered by users :) This is the way MS always operates. They get into an ideal bubble, but then the rubber hits the road and it takes them by surprise because they were comfy in the bubble. It's a problem with them.
    137. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:37 PM - Trouba:
      But the very fact Win11 is basically Win10, is why the 11 builds are already so stable and widely supported, and also why (when bypassing their put-in-place boot file / setup restrictions) it works fine on a range of older hardware :) It makes sense. It is also why it's so easy to just use Last10 as install base.
    138. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:44 PM - The Freezer:
      Yeah, I've seen some on YouTube that have successfully installed on older hardware (even Win7-era ones)
    139. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:44 PM - Trouba:
      Did you try my iso on your hardware yet?
    140. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:47 PM - The Freezer:
      No, not yet. I've only just now extracted the ISO
    141. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:48 PM - The Freezer:
      Then I have to "dust" off an older-sortof desktop
    142. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:50 PM - The Freezer:
      Or I could "cheat" and install in VirtualBox ;)
    143. [​IMG] Sunday at 4:58 PM - Trouba:
      Yes, do dust it off, it may actually help :D Do you need a little hand crank to start up the old HDD? LOL, the other day I connected an old 640gb WD drive and it literally sounded like gnomes cranking up the platters in there :)
    144. [​IMG] Sunday at 5:00 PM - The Freezer:
      LOL, I know what you mean. To me they sound like tiny jet engines spinning up
    145. [​IMG] Sunday at 5:00 PM - Trouba:
      Yes! That is a good description too :)
    146. [​IMG] Sunday at 5:01 PM - Trouba:
      Also, I had my headphones on and when the drive started up / connected the audio in my headphones crackled. That can't be good )
    147. [​IMG] Sunday at 5:01 PM - The Freezer:
      I've got a couple SSD's but they're in use right now... so an old HDD it is :what:
    148. [​IMG] Sunday at 5:06 PM - The Freezer:
      Still, by the sounds of it, your Last11 sounds promising.
    149. [​IMG] Sunday at 5:12 PM - The Freezer:
      I'm really interested in how well BigMuscle's AeroGlass for Windows 10 will fare. ;)
    150. [​IMG] Sunday at 5:27 PM - Trouba:
      Heh... yeah, it may work but they have these weird contect menu overlays now for desktop etc, not sure how the UI elements will fare under aeroglass
    151. [​IMG] Sunday at 6:45 PM - The Freezer:
      True. Those context menu seem different for Win11
    152. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:16 AM - Trouba:
      Interesting info on the new taskbar in Win11 and how it is different from previous versions, and how it affects 7+ Taskbar Tweaker: https://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker-and-a-first-look-at-windows-11#more-2305
    153. [​IMG] Yesterday at 9:46 PM - Trouba:
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell\Update\Packages] "UndockingDisabled"=dword:00000001
    154. [​IMG] Yesterday at 9:47 PM - Trouba:
      Above reg tweaks reverts taskbar to have start button and items on left side, and disables the new right-click context menus (reverts to old style context menus)
    155. [​IMG] Yesterday at 9:51 PM - Trouba:
      Open-Shell works fine after that (didn't try yet with centered taskbar). Was able to make taskbar more transparent that way too as I had Open-Shell set that way.
    156. [​IMG] Yesterday at 10:26 PM - Trouba:
      It should be noted that time/date disappears from the taskbar with this... Well, it's fun to play with, but it doesn't exactly scream stable and an actual option, LOL
    157. [​IMG] Yesterday at 10:38 PM - Trouba:
      Oh... StartIsBack has got this thing down. Retains central taskbar icons AND gives left start button with extra transparency AND retains time/date. I'm making a ssApp out of that right now.
    158. [​IMG] Yesterday at 10:39 PM - bphlpt:
      I hate to admit how often I utilize the time/date on my windows taskbar, so ...
    159. [​IMG] Yesterday at 10:42 PM - Trouba:
      Yeah :) I was already starting to miss it. But StartIsBack will be a good option here, give me a minute or 3 and I'll have StartIsBack uploaded for you to try
    160. [​IMG] Yesterday at 10:47 PM - bphlpt:
      I always wished that the developers of StartIsBack, OldNewExplorer, AeroGlass, and Open Shell could work together to put out a single unified "UI Update" app, but that won't happen :(
    161. [​IMG] Yesterday at 10:47 PM - Trouba:
      Yeah, that would be nice...
    162. [​IMG] Yesterday at 10:59 PM - bphlpt:
      But, while we're wishing, it would be so much easier if MS would somehow separate the core OS components from the UI elements. That would enable folks to more easily customize the UI to their liking. But that definitely won't ever happen either. From the beginning, all the various elements have all been intertwined, including the Windows and Internet Explorers.
    163. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:00 PM - bphlpt:
      They probably did it to try and maintain control, but really just made a mess.
    164. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:02 PM - Trouba:
      Yes, you're right. And they never even arrived at a coherent UI, the various OS's always had leftovers and non-updated elements from previous OS's. I do wonder if they're keeping the Win10 UI underneath the 11 one *for now* in the Insider builds, in case they had to revert.
    165. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:03 PM - Trouba:
      In other words, a reg tweak like the above one shouldn't be able to mess up their new UI elements like this :) I think we'll know pretty soon because a new Insider build is expected this or coming week I think.
    166. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:03 PM - Trouba:
      Okay, StartIsBack is up
    167. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:05 PM - Trouba:
      LOL, StartIsBack is NOT stable. right-lick on the start button and everything hangs (had to go right-click desktop -> old context menu - > refresh icon util
    168. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:06 PM - Trouba:
      Well, some of these tweaks and apps hold promise, I'm sure they'll work it out to where it functions well. But not today :D
    169. [​IMG] Yesterday at 11:12 PM - Trouba:
      Strangely, StartIsBack does NOT hang when you right-click the start button when the above reg tweak is applied. So the hang only happens when in Win11 taskbar mode. Of course, time/date is still missing when you do this. I'm sure they're working on this.
    170. [​IMG] Today at 12:01 AM - Trouba:
      Open-Shell start menu definitely way more responsive and stable than StartIsBack. It does require the reg tweak though or it won't work. Old context menus and such way more responsive than new overlay.
    171. [​IMG] Today at 12:08 AM - Trouba:
      Open-Shell is so much prettier... but no rounded corners on this theme lol: [​IMG]
    172. [​IMG] Today at 2:04 AM - unitop4:
      I tried the registry tweak with no luck. Not sure what I'm doing wrong? for open-shell
    173. [​IMG] Today at 2:18 AM - unitop4:
      nevermind restart took care of it
    174. [​IMG] Today at 2:51 AM - unitop4:
      .Clocks in microsoft store has clock widgets that you can put on desktop
    175. [​IMG] Today at 9:22 AM - Trouba:
      If you're on the Last11 build, right-click -> Personalize Extra -> Explorer Icon Refresh will take care of it as well, or Sign out/in
    176. [​IMG] Today at 9:23 AM - Trouba:
      I doubt the current situation will stay this way, or if it does I imagine StartIsBack and Open-Shell (if they can) to add a clock to taskbar somehow. I tried Atomic Clock app to see if it could force a clock back on but it depends on the taskbar time/date area I think
    177. [​IMG] Today at 9:46 AM - unitop4:
      Ahh learned something new. Thank you. Why are the apps in win 11 taskbar start, not in control panel?
    178. [​IMG] Today at 9:59 AM - Trouba:
      I would probably remove that particular reg tweak for now until a better alternative comes along, but I did find a good reg tweak to restore the classic right-click menus in Win11 (and this one does require a reboot): www.lastos.org/forum/index.php?threads/win11-talk-tweaks-rants-findings.1943/
    179. [​IMG] Today at 10:00 AM - Trouba:
      Are apps supposed to be in Control Panel?
    180. [​IMG] Today at 10:08 AM - unitop4:
      Guess not
    181. [​IMG] Today at 10:11 AM - Trouba:
      :)

For anyone who wants to do something similar at a future time, simply click the Shoutbox heading, which should take you here - http://www.lastos.org/forum/index.php?taigachat/ - then highlight the posts you want to copy, then copy/paste from there to wherever you want it.

EDIT by Trouba: BP, I just put the shoutbox content in a spoiler wrap (if you don't mind) so that it doesn't interrupt the flow of the thread so much.
    EDIT by Bphlpt: Thanks, T! I should have thought about that.

mircea and The Freezer like this.
  9. The Freezer

Hey! I wanted to see BP's original post!

LOL, no it's all good. :cool:

Anyway... this was my only Win11 related contribution:
    WinAero Tweaker has updated their all-in-one to include Windows 11 (version 1.20, June 29, 2021): https://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker/

mircea likes this.
  10. bphlpt

No problem, just click the "spoiler" tag and it will reappear. :)

mircea likes this.
  11. Trouba

By the way, you can install Open-Shell and use it successfully as an *additional* start menu on Win11, by going to Settings -> Start Menu Style tab -> and selecting "Replace start button." This way, it will retain the new Win11 centered start menu, and provide the Open-Shell start button & menu on the left.

I found that start button bmp's that fill out the entire available area (have less transparent space around them) are better because smaller start buttons leave space around them and your mouse cursor would have to be on the actual start button itself for the start menu to come out, meaning you can't just move the cursor all the way bottom-left. To remedy this, use a larger (or more bottom-left oriented) start button; however, that won't be enough. You will probably have to enlarge the start button by going to advanced start button settings and enlarging the button size. This in part because the taskbar is a but larger/taller than the Win7 one; but in Win7 it doesn't matter what the size of the start button is, you can go all the way bottom-left with the cursor and the start menu will still come up. So some Win11-specific start buttons may be useful, or perhaps Open-Shell will program something to counter for this issue.

mircea likes this.
  12. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Good to see you guys getting on with Wind woes 11 :D well I am sitting at my PC for the first time in weeks and it's only for a half hour before dinner. Just don't have time to spare at all anymore, maybe one day when the kids are older and my life is stable and routine again :)

I am going to download Troubas work for a look though, I am even getting my son to seek out and buy me a good new PC from Facebook Marketplace over the next couple of months, my USB is still dying and it's horrible to use this PC, I've still got my 2014 build and that is the newest PC I own.

bphlpt, Trouba and mircea like this.
  13. mircea

mircea Member

We need a good instal.wim 32bit[windows10].So that TROUBA to help us whit installing windows11 on old computers.

14. Trouba

Good to see you, Glenn :)

mircea means that we've tried to install Win11 on his PC with a 32-bit Win10 install base and boot.wim in combination with the Win11 install.wim from my L11 image to see if that would work. His PC balks at installing any x64 OS like even Win7 unless it is done with x86 boot.wim (my Last7 build with x86 PE worked). Well, using the 32-bit Win10 boot files, it starts installing but then boot-loops (automatically reboots from USB drive, not HDD) which I think is a matter of experimenting with different BIOS settings or force-booting off the USB drive or even removing it temporarily when it reboots, etc. But mircea is stuck so he gave up... But since my L7 image works for him, he thinks having a Win10 x86 PE would somehow work (not sure why) and thought of asking Glenn to make one which I already told him Glenn won't do for such a rare requirement (nor will it work). But here we are :D

mircea likes this.
  15. bphlpt

@mircea , have you found any Win 10 install that will work on your system? Since Win 10 is both older and more "stable", at least in some ways, than Win 11, that might be what you should concentrate on first. If there is no x64 Win 10 that will work for you, but there is an x86 Win 10 that does work, AND Trouba's x64 Win 7 with x86 PE does work, then I can understand your feeling that there might be hope for you. If you can find ANY Win 10 install that works for you, then I would assume that there is a good chance that Trouba can make a LastOS version of that that will work for you. By that time, Win 11 might be at official "final" release, which should also add stability. BUT, AFAIK MS has no plans to produce an x86 version of Win 11. So, if you can't get any x64 version of Win 10 to work, then I would assume that the same will be true for Win 11.

mircea likes this.
  16. Trouba

It appears the reg tweak of post #1 is already not working anymore in Win11 build .65 (Insider Build 2). I guess when a newer build comes out I'll download it and check again.

17. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Yep, they are breaking all the laws of physics with all these over lays over a older OS, it will get WORSE before it gets better.

But maybe it will be the best OS in the end, I'm not holding my breath :notworthy:

mircea likes this.
  18. Trouba

19. Trouba

The question to me will be: "Can it be any worse than Win10?" I know that's not an incredibly high bar but if that is not achievable we're in trouble :)

20. mircea

mircea Member

From my point of wiew WINDOWS11 will be much worste that windows10:
    1.Windows 10 its supposed to be the last....only updates from time to time...but selling information about all ussers must be the new parradigm....moore mony from that.
    2.Controll of population its moore profitable...[from information]
    3.All producer of computers parts will make fortunes from new WINDOWS11.

21. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

@Trouba - Time will tell us, but I haven't had any wants to try and do much to win 10, just didn't feel open enough, but I guess when you are the 'tech' and doing everything like we all have for years and you loose control of that, then its no fun to say? But yea I am waiting on the final results ...

And everyone went back to XP back when MS gave birth to Vista LOL

22. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

@mircea - Hardware is produced around the SoC producers, Intel and AMD, and more, but specifically Intel and AMD for the home consumer, then Server side, which is Intel and AMD ..

Which come first. Hardware or the OS?

Then you have that cell phone, tablet side of hardware, OS and such .. it goes on.

23. mircea

mircea Member

In a conspiraty u have[hardware and software]both side by side.:whistle::confused::)

24. Trouba

So even though MS took away the ability to, via reg tweak, enable the classic desktop context menu upon right-click (post #1), I just found a gem that has eluded us since Win10 days: right-click cascading menu for "This PC"! We used to have this in Win7 (still do, ha) but somewhere along the way they disabled the ability to do it via the particular reg tweaks we used for that. However, I noticed Wise Care 365 deposited a "Shred file/folder" context menu entry under "This PC" right-click, so I traced it in the registry and adopted the "System Tools" cascading context menu we use for desktop and it works. And guess what? Since the Last10/11 reg tweaks already list the desktop version of this cascading menu, all we have to do is simply add the additional location (not an additional list of the sub-items as we used to do). In other words, all that is needed to make the cascading This PC "System Tools" menu work is add this:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\SystemMenu]
    "MUIVerb"="System Tools"
    "SubCommands"="Autoruns;Calclassic;CommandPrompt;ControlPanel;DeviceManager;DiskMgmt;MyUninstaller;Network;Notepad;PowerOptions;ProgFeatures;Regedit;Settings;WinUpdate;WUHide"
    "icon"="imageres.dll,314"
    This is an especially nice find because MS seems bent on keeping the new right-click context overlay for desktop as mentioned. So we can just right-click on the This PC icon and have access to the context menu entries directly.

The new desktop context menu overlay, in the current build 22000.71, is translucent which is nice.

The new explorer windows border (at least the top -- it's hard to see) is now slightly translucent. It is so slight that I might have missed it had I not read about it first. I always though explorer title bars and app title bars were the same (and I think they were in older versions of Windows), but not so in Win11. Meaning, the slight translucency is there in explorer windows, but not in the title bars of applications (these remain entirely opaque). So I'm hoping they extend the translucency to app title bars as well for consistency. Even though the explorer top part is only very slightly translucent, it does make one wonder if it can therefore be tweaked somehow to become more translucent. It is heartening to see that the very things I've been hammering on so long for the achievement of an experience of depth and perspective on a desktop (mainly: transparency -- but also proper shadow helps with this) are being actively pursued by MS now.

Cascading right-click context menu on This PC:

Image 11.jpg

Translucent desktop right-click context menu:

Image 22.jpg

Slightly translucent top part of explorer windows:

Image 33.jpg

EDIT: Unintended (but not unwelcome) side-effect of the This PC cascading menu tweak: it also adds it to the Recycle Bin right-click :)

Glenn likes this.
  25. Trouba

Since Edge is here to stay, and it plops its shortcut into the root of the start menu program location, SetupS sorting might just have to include that shortcut and move it to the browser category :)
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe"
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    (I think the original shortcut was in AppData Roaming, but I drag'n'dropped it in the - Internet browser folder so I don't know if that changed the root dir)

Other than that, there is a folder named "Windows Accessories" with only one shortcut in it: "Quick Assist"
    Code:
    %windir%\system32\quickassist.exe
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
    And one more folder named "Windows System," also with only one shortcut in it: the Run shortcut.
    Code:
    C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools
    If SetupS can sort or else get rid of these during sorting, it would clean up the start menu entirely. Well, there is a File Explorer in root of start menu as well but it doesn't bother me that much :)

Note: this, when "Ignore Startmenu Defaults" is unticked -- which should be the default setting now, IMO.