Windows 10 1809 (worldwide Beta)

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by Trouba, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for the info, a little bit close to christmas for this kid of crap IMO, imagine all the poor stores who are losing on PC sales from how bad Windows 10 treats it's users. I am starting to agree that Windows 10 can NOT be the last windows version, it's a heaping pile of garbage and the Universal apps was good in concept but they also suck. I dare anyone to use the Instagram app made for Windows 10 with a Non Touch screen device, tell me how you can swipe between multi image posts for example and how the notifications don't work at all etc - I personally would run BlueStacks and use the Android versions of apps before I'd touch Universal Apps - I never knew it stood for universally crap back a few years when they introduced them.

I don't think I am up for making any more public builds myself anymore, started down a medicated path to function in the world as it is now, I used to have needed skills and enjoyed working on computers locally and socializing to do so, that was a long time ago now :(

Hope someone takes up the public modding hobby again, I am interested to see how they fare, just keep the caution that it can all change in an instant.

The Freezer, bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  3. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Lately, seems many modders have already thrown in the towel or are about to.

4. Glenn

Could have easily continue to Mod Windows 7 but the worlds needs are changing and the user base will be getting smaller not bigger, so no room for any real growth, Windows 10 is like Weed Matting coated in DDT for modders and Linux doesn't have the framework to hold up growth without a big guy taking control (Like Android and Apple have). Considering the direction things are heading, I don't know how important the OS will be in the near future, the web interface will take over once 5g is common, who would care what OS they are on if they never really use it or even see it?

billybob62 likes this.
  5. Trouba

I noticed that especially the newer Win10's also can't be chopped up in NTLite into very small images that much anymore; you can get Win7 a lot smaller than 10. So their large modular chunky vegetable soup is taking over and then the parts inside get replaced by their huge updates so everything custom and/or lite is going to be a snapshot in time that will either not survive an update or the update won't be able to be installed. Of course, if any of the rhetoric about Win10 security vs Win7's would be true, you should be pretty safe using a modded Win 10 system for a year or more without updates ;) It's disappointing that using Win10 can't be a little more of a joy, but at least it still kind of works :D

6. Glenn

Yeah, it does work, it's just a shell of an OS now, Windows 7 added joy to using your PC, Windows 10 adds disappointment - of what could have been. I do NOT know how Microsoft talked it's share holders in to making it shittier so it would work on garbage cheap hardware, instead of building on the experience like OS X has continued to do, the only and I mean ONLY thing MS had to do is make the OS idle when you are in a full screen app and it shouldn't matter how hard it pushed your graphics and cpu. Power saving should be an option, not a forced default experience. Microsoft must know all this but they do what they do anyway, I am not impressed, all those employees and this is what they end up with? who is running the show, someone who hates artistic expression, color or flowing experiences? They want people to be robots with no emotion, because it's not like studies have know for a very long time people work better when surrounded with drab colors, flat designs and mundane tasks. Hell I'd rather give people access to using Windows ME or 98 non SE, just so they can play the BSOD lottery to add some excitement back to their day. Anyway I am not going to be able to Mod the Microsoft company, so I have little other choice than to yield to their directions - at the cost of me having any control over the users experience anymore.

billybob62 likes this.
  7. Trouba

LOL, yes I agree with that.

I think the person who heads the design division is one of those miserable perfectionist minimalists who gets off on excising all that is human from the UI. If there's a hell I don't think it's fire and brimstone, it's going to be a 2D flat realm of torture.

8. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Hmmmm. On the one hand...

but on the other...

So they "simplified" it to work on a wider range of less powerful equipment, but made it larger and with more cumbersome updates which only work marginally better on more powerful hardware. Something doesn't sound right. :) How they ever managed to sell this concept to the public is beyond me.

[ Not to mention the massive bandwidth required and the privacy concerns, of course. ]

Glenn and Trouba like this.
  9. Glenn

Yeah I am starting to think there is someone high up in the company laughing out loud behind closed doors that his prank is working perfectly so far. because why else could such things happen again and again. RS6 for example will be the same but with 10 less features we want, 2 new features we don't want and will require 1.2gb more space on the HDD and another 512mb of ram taken up for just the OS. To think Microsoft used to let you pick if you wanted to install calculator, write, terminal etc and now they don't let you not pick edge, candy crush and the countless other bloatware - WHY? it has no reason it needs to be like this. it's a sad time.

billybob62 likes this.
  10. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

The lack of choice in what you can install should make it "easier" for Grandma and Uncle Joe type of users; it's just supposed to 'work' no matter what they try to do or no matter what link they try to access that their granddaughter sent to them. That would be great if it actually worked and if the updates always installed quickly and without a hitch, like most phones do these days. [ That is also the reason why I have usually chosen to install the complete version of my OS, without removing anything, and merely disable the features I don't want or need.] The sheer amount of technology in use today, and the prevalence of it over the last several decades, has created a larger group of "computer users" than ever before, at least they think they are, and MS promotes their OS as being so easy that the users think they should be able to use the OS. Again, if the OS always worked as it was supposed to that would be fine, but the history of Win 10 does not indicate that to be the case.

Another set of users is one I think we all belong to; the one that has been using computers for a number of years, and know how they have worked in the past and therefore how they "should" work now. We know how to accomplish the tasks we want to do with the software tools we're used to using. I think we're the group of users that dislike Win 10 the most since it seems to "fight" us the most and prevent us from doing things the way we always have; the way it should always work. I'll admit that this group is the most stubborn and set in its ways, and used to fine tuning the OS and making it look and feel just like we want it to. Win 10 doesn't care what we want it to look and feel like, and we resent it. Since there are other options for us, like Win 7, that we are still able to use, that makes us that much more resistant to using Win 10. I mean, just because they add features, why should that mean that they remove other existing features and methods that have worked well for years?

Then there is the group that actually is able to use Win 10. They either want to use the "latest and greatest" OS and are willing to do what they need to do so they can do that, or are willing to work with what the OS can do and aren't hung up with what the OS "should" do. If they are able to use the software tools they need to use, and do the tasks they need to do, then I can't really argue with their results. As such, maybe they are "better" computer users than my group. :)

I think that for a computer OS to be successful it should work well for more than one group of users out of three, and I just don't see Win 10 being that OS. And there is really no excuse that Win 10 couldn't have been that OS. Win XP and Win 7 were both so successful and flexible that it's a real shame the way things turned out.

Looking back, the best I can figure out is that MS didn't believe that mobile platforms would be that important, and that was their undoing. When they finally realized they had to address the mobile platform, and they acknowledged they were behind, they figured the best way to catch up would be to have their OS work on both desktop and mobile platforms to make it easier for the user to use whatever platform they wanted and to encourage software tool authors to make apps for their OS. Good in theory, but... To be able to make such an OS the quickest they could, they decided to minimize the feature set, and limit the OS to be able to operate even on the phone platform that was the major mobile platform. As we know, MS's efforts to compete in the phone market totally failed, but it's like they're stuck in the path they chose, and they're unable or unwilling to change. [ Now, tablets and laptops are also prevalent mobile computer platforms, but phones still greatly outnumber computers and their computing capabilities continue to expand, including "phablets" (tablet size phones), and MS doesn't compete in any phone related OS whatsoever, much to their chagrin.] To their credit, they did manage to pull off a huge PR move and convince the public that the simplified look that they were forced to use was "fresh" and "modern" and everyone else were forced to adapt it as well. However, I am confident that eventually the more ergonomic look of Win 7 and Vista will come back.

Anyway, whether MS is ever able to recover from their mistakes over the last decade is still to be determined.

billybob62, Glenn and Trouba like this.
  11. Trouba

LOL, that should really be their motto :D

So, so true. They famously didn't want an iOS-like OS for mobile devices. No, they wanted a full-fledged Windows "that could print" (Gates' own words -- doesn't even make sense knowing what we know now) on portable devices like tablets. Meanwhile, Apple ran with the idea, knowing it would take too long and there would be too many drawbacks to get OSX on a mobile device, and the rest is history. In my opinion it really shows this top-down approach MS must have been having under, especially, Ballmer, because there is no way that MS employees who are immersed in tech didn't see that coming. But they weren't listened to.

It would be one thing if the MS Store apps could actually compete with Android and Apple, but they can't. MS Store apps aren't just flat looking, they are flat in functionality. And software developers at first wanted to get their apps on the MS Store. But many pulled their apps and ceased development. At which point MS tried to come out with developer tools that would more easily allow existing Android apps to be converted into MS Store apps, etc. Too little, too late, too desperate. Nokia phone division died, cost them 7 billion just to purchase the rights.

And I agree, Win10 was supposed to have flat UI and run lean on less powerful devices... well, I call BS, it is more resource hungry than Win7 and Win8.

billybob62 likes this.
  12. Glenn

I would agree Windows 10 would be easier for new users and "better" windows uses IF they hadn't buried the WiFi settings 6 levels deep instead of 2 and put the advanced features under what looks like a descriptive text and not a link/button at all. so unless you knew or got bored and clicked it, you had no way of knowing how to manually set a Wireless Network or delete a broken one (with bad Passphrase embedded), I agree with Trouba, the actual resources required to run explorer (even with Cortana and the many other features removed) uses more resources with less to offer, so anything MS say is just promotional bullcrap and has no basis on reality at all. I am not sure the post still exists but the very first time I saw Windows 8.0 and it's touch screen approach I said "It wont be long before the core PC will be peoples phones and they will just plug them in to docks to use and charge them as a desktop PC" this is actually starting to happen and should be fully in place by the end of 2019. If 5g offers the speeds they are saying then it should have any problems making the whole experience operate wirelessly on a wireless charger station (which it more convenient for most people), lets just say that whoever was in charge at MS on picking what would be happening in the future really did stick their heads in the sand as well as covering their ears going LA LA LA LA LA LA LA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!, and it should have only taken two or three full OS releases to see it wasn't being adopted, but they are still sticking to their original designs for the "improved" OS, it's not to late for them to recover, but I doubt they will, too many choices now, only 1 generation of the consoles stealing all the Gamer market, Google's Office set is almost at a level that MS Office isn't needed at all and all your really left with without them two groups is people who enjoy fixing random driver issues and dll hell events.... not many of them about, so who in their right mind would PAY for that privilege?

billybob62 likes this.