Windows 7 to 8.1 upgrades?

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by zdevilinside, Mar 22, 2021.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

Have any of you tried to do the standard Windows 7 to 8.1 upgrade recently? I have a computer that I am going to need to upgrade for a private library that barely has the needed hardware to run Windows 8.1 and 10 is out of the question. I haven't done a Windows 7 to 8.1 update recently. The library has some funky programs on the system that they no longer have the installation media for and I cannot find online.

Anyhow, what is your "go to" method of upgrading a computer from Windows 7 to 8.1 when going to Windows 10 is not possible and you need to try to save the applications/data from the previous install?

2. 57331

57331 Guest

Just do the usual upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.1 through the good old Microsoft-patented way? Or you could try manually backing up the applications themselves, as well as their settings, documents, music, pictures, videos, focusing on the AppData folder as well if that's not an option. As I speak right now, I am in the middle of writing a Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809 ISO to an USB drive, as I am planning to reinstall Windows, my current main Windows installation is currently a bit bloated and full of junk and useless applications that I don't even use anymore, thankfully it hasn't slowed down yet.

3. mircea

mircea Member

If u have a very old hardware like myself u can try first to upgrade directly whit media creation tool from microsoft[in my case i can install wind8 or wind10 only in 32bit,not workind on windows8 64bit or windows10 64bit,in 64bit work only whit windows7]...if it will tell u that its possible than u can try to install windows8.

4. 00Proteus00

00Proteus00 Active Member

Cant you just install windows the regular way, and instead of formatting the drive, choose drive C, and it should install over the top and create a C:\WINDOWS.OLD folder with old windows in it, and all apps still working.

(I'd backup first before trying this)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021