Windows Update - Integrate w/ DISM, or Update Tool, What do you use for ...

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ghost, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

... Basic windows update to have just a updated Install.wim or a Install.esd with latest updates from MicroShaft?

I have 10 Pro, 11 Pro and LTSC 21H2 to do, what is the best path to do these 3 without anything else done?

I would like to get a quick guide up for myself and others to fall back on, so that we have a list to say of the current ways/methods of updating just the MicroShaft version/edition to make a build rather a vanilla install or a LastOS build.

So what is the path you take?

bphlpt likes this.
  2. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

While I was on Windows 7, I just ran Simplix on my live OS every month. Easy.

Since I've only been on LTSC 212H2 a few months, I'm not aware of any applicable updates that have become available. I'll be interested to find out the best way to update the OS in the future. Thanks for creating this thread, @Ghost. :)

Ghost likes this.
  3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

If I were to integrate anything I'd still use the VM sysprep method, yeah you can use dism and offline methods directly on the mounted wim, but I've never done this, so wouldn't know the best way. The only time I did try, I noticed it would only add the updates and not truly integrate them, meaning you'd have 700mb+ of updates on the installed PC in case you wanted to uninstall them or roll back the update, they may have changed this, but I found sysprep allows me to end up with a smaller install and less reboots needed (some updates will install then reboot so you can have 1 or 2 extra reboots during install if this occurs, doesn't happen with sysprep as the reboot occurs before you capture).

Ghost and Trouba like this.
  4. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

in my early days of updating/installing windows on other peoples computers it would take hours to download the win updates with a slow connection or perhaps no internet connection but i would use this program called WSUS found here that i could setup on an external HDD download the updates, connect to the computer and run the script to install the updates for windows and office.
    I haven't used it for some time and not sure if it suitable but have a look at it.

Ghost likes this.