Windows XP no longer most popular OS.

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by Trouba, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

2. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

It sure took long enough. And it's still second, and by only a fraction of a percentage point. XP will still be a factor in the market for a long time to come, not in new purchases, but in usage.

3. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Woo-hoo! Windows 7 is now two and a half tenths of a percent more popular than XP... Let the party begin!! :p

<--PMSL

I read such articles with declarations like, "the 2012 Toyota Camry is now more popular than the 2009 Camry". So I have to wonder how much of that is from purchases of new replacement PC's that already come with Windows 7 anyway -- rather than those seeking to purchase Windows 7 specifically in order to replace XP on an older existing machine? I mean, just like a brand new 2009 Camry, you can't really buy a brand new XP even if you wanted to.

4. Trouba

Yeah, I don't think the word 'popular' should have been used in that article, as that implies more of a preference or conscious action toward Win7. At the same time, XP SP3 was sold on desktops and laptops until very recently/now, so I guess with such a long running time and being offered on machines up to now it should be prevalent. So Win7 now being on top after only a few years after it was released is not just a matter anymore of being pushed along with new hardware, such numbers cannot be explained by that alone I would think, so there has to be an active push of buyers toward Win7 as well I would think.

5. Trouba

When it said "market share" I assumed the thing was based on sales numbers ;) Coming to think of it, in the real world usage scenario XP is probably still on top as so many people have been using preactivated XP's throughout the years :D

6. The Freezer

You seem to think buyers have a choice... ;)

7. Trouba

I'm talking about pc's selling with xp at many places during vista and later... but what you say applies to win7 also applies to xp, or were they mostly selling pc's without an OS ten years ago (which was undoubtedly more of a pc era than today)? :D

8. The Freezer

LOL, I was simply getting at how easy that "push of buyers towards Win7" must be given the alternatives currently available. It seems to me because of the really great deals one can get these days (versus a build-your-own rig) that you'd actually be better off buying a new PC with Windows 7 already bundled but wipe that out in favor of the latest Ubuntu... but then the statistics would still show a hit for Windows 7. ;)

9. Trouba

I think my post had a few logical fallacies as I wrote it at work on my smartphone :) but as I just read it again it wasn't as bad as I feared :D