What Do You Think Is The Best Way To Remove A Stripped Laptop Screw?

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by zdevilinside, Sep 30, 2018.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

A friend of mine screwed things up and REALLY stripped out a laptop computer screw. It is a screw that holds the keyboard in place and it rounded to the point where a rubber band in between the head and the screwdriver doesn't work. They tried an oversized screw driver and it just made it worse. I have been thinking about using superglue on the tip of the screwdriver, hold it in place over the screw to get it to "bind" to it and then once it is done, turn it slowly and hope it comes out, using a jeweler's pair of pliers and/or putting a dab of JB weld on the screw with a bolt over it and then use a nut driver to pull it.

What way would you go about doing it?

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

3. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

No idea what rubber band you talk about but if the superglue for some reason doesn't stick (as I think it won't), you could mix epoxy glue and put a little drop of it on the screwdriver tip and put it into some sort of clamp so it can rest on the screw vertically and wait few hours for it to harden, then see if it grabs.

Those screw removal tools don't come in small size which I suspect is the case here.

4. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, if your unable to grab out the small screw you may have to just drill the head off the screw if you do ever need to remove the keyboard and hope the clips and any other screws hold it in place after that as removing the broken screw will be impossible at that point.

[​IMG]

this is the rubber band trick, it fills the space with rubber instead and that grabs enough to loosen an almost lose screw - doesn't work for tightened screws in my experience tho.

gorekhaa likes this.
  5. gorekhaa

gorekhaa Guest

Hi, post a pic...

6. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

It will have to wait until I return to the US on the 30th.