Miscellaneous discussion (SetupS)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Trouba, Jul 6, 2011.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Damnit, Bones, I don't even know how to respond to that.

LOL, anyway, new update -- v8.11.7.17 (Lunar!) -- see first post for the goodies. Recent Change-log:
    Code:
    ADD: A preview indicator of the Startmenu path for shortcuts. Reflects the the current Starmenu style (Standard or
         Advanced) and also the "KeepInFolder" flag. [ssEditor]
    FIX: A glitch between the <Catalog> to <StartmenuDestPath> conversion.

2. The Freezer

Although the preview for the Kazz menu style is working okay, if using the standard (default) menu style it ends up previewing the LastOS style instead :confused:

Not entirely sure yet if that's a bad thing. LOL

3. The Freezer

Well I was thinking it's not like finding shortcuts is terribly hard with the Standard Startmenu layout. Worse-case you end up scrolling through a long list alphabetically. Though I think the layout of the Advanced Startmenu styles are more efficient it can seem a bit daunting trying to find a shortcut for the first time. Especially if you're a noobie.

But this way, folks still using Standard can see what the fuss is all about now ;)

4. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I like these SetupS names. Looks like SetupS is really stable now. I like "Lunar" as long as you're not implying we have to get out our crescent wrenches to fix it ;)

TheFreezerBox likes this.
  5. The Freezer

Well now, it seems even I can find bugs myself: if one disables the "Always On Top" option for Fadertainer then one gets a broken box for it instead. :oops:

6. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'disable'. I've tried to un-activate the fadertainer, change the position of it, but I don't see a broken box?

7. The Freezer

New SetupS Sendto Suite update -- v8.11.7.20 (Transgenic!) -- see first post for the goodies. Recent Change-log:

8. The Freezer

Just a heads-up FYI... besides some more (minor) bug fixes, this is what I've got in the pipes for the next SetupS release:
    ;)

9. The Freezer

For the curious, I've got samplings of the stuff available (ftp):
    first install v8.11.7.23 and use that to update to 7.25 ;)

10. The Freezer

That bootstrapping was the most difficult part.

Yep, just the "rough draft" of it, so far -- will pretty it up later. ;)

11. The Freezer

Yes, I thought about that but I decided to leave out the "phone home" -- for those who don't like that sort of thing. And instead settled for the opt-in link and/or the Option "Auto Update" under the Preferences tab -- in which case, after silently "phoning home" then it'll automatically update only to the new version.

bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  12. The Freezer

FYI, the AutoUpdate feature is not yet working but should be for 7.27

13. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

freeze not sure if this is a bug or if im doin something wrong , when i go to edit a ssapp or ppapp i get other shortcuts that i DO NOT select
    ssEditor.001.jpg

14. The Freezer

Looks like at one time you might've selected your startmenu's "- Tools & Design" folder (for the Default Menu) instead of the one created by Winmount's installer.

But basically you're okay. Notice "Shortcut Names to Keep" and the first shortcut in the list, "Item 1 of 1"? Either one of those tells SetupS that is the only shortcut you want created if you don't select the "Keep All" option. ;)

To cleanup your app, simply delete the extraneous shortcuts from the definitions list and make sure to change the Default Menu to the one the installer creates.

15. -c0dez3ro-

so its best to keep the development startmenu if the app has one which most do ?

thats what i did , wanted to double check ,and make sure there wasnt a bug

16. The Freezer

Also, make sure to change the Default Menu to the one the installer creates. It should never list one of the Advance menu subfolders. Select that from Catalog instead.

This is important so I repeat: NEVER use an Advanced Menu for the Default Menu

17. -c0dez3ro-

Code:
    <Title>
        WinMount

<Version>

<Description>
    Winmount is a powerful windows utility which is dedicated to managing files and disks impressively and conveniently. It's a compression tool, also a virtual disk tool ( Mount RAR ZIP MOU and CD DVD HDD images as virtual disk/folder ). The most characteristic feature is virtualizing compressed archives. That is mounting compressed archives to a virtual disk or a virtual folder without decompression, all actions are taken in a virtual path, protect hard disk, save space.

Supported formats: MOU, RAR, ZIP, 7Z, CAB, ARJ, ISO, GZ, BZ2, TAR, WIM, ISO, BIN, BWT, MDS/MDF, NRG, IMG, ISZ, CUE, CCD, APE, FLAC, WV, VHD, VDI, VMDK.

WinMount format

MOU: A highly and fastly compressed format. It's completely free, that means it can be used or published for personal, commercial or govermental purpose.
    WMT: A storage HDD format, it can be encrypted, used for data storage.
    WinMount is the only one to open MOU and WMT. At an appropriate time, MOU and WMT will open their API or source code.

WinMount feature list

1) Compress ZIP/7Z/ISO/MOU ( support spliting to volumes );
    2) Decompress ( smart extract ), browse and modify RAR/ZIP/7Z/ISO/MOU/CAB/ARJ/GZ/BZ2/TAR/WIM;
    3) Convert RAR, ZIP, 7Z, CAB, ARJ, ISO, GZ, BZ2, TAR, WIM to MOU;
    4) Add comment and magic page to compressed archives;
    5) Mount RAR/ZIP/MOU to virtual disk without decompression, protect hard disk, save space;
    6) Quick mount ZIP/MOU/WIM to current path as a virtual folder;
    7) Mount ISO, CUE/BIN, CCD, BWT, MDS/MDF, NRG, IMG, ISZ to virtual DVD-ROM;
    8) Mount APE, FLAC, WV to virtual CD-ROM;
    9) Mount VHD(Virtual PC), VDI(Virtual Box), VMDK(VMWare) to virtual HDD;
    10) Mount microsoft WIM to virtual HDD;
    11) Mount folder to virtual HDD;
    12) Create blank disk, data will not be saved, the same as RAM-disk;
    13) Create blank disk, data can be saved as WMT.

<URL>
        http://www.winmount.com/index.html

<Category>
        Development

<AppPath>
        %ppApps%\WinMount

<StartMenuSourcePath>
        WinMount

<Catalog>
        Development Tools

<StartMenuDestPath>
        4 System\9 Development & Code
        - Development\- Tools & Design

<Flags>
        KeepAll = No

<BuildType>
        ppApp

<ShortcutS>
        Target="WinMount.exe"
        Name="WinMount"

<End>

im still really learning the start menu and advance paths , but i beleave im gettin it

18. The Freezer

Yep, looks good.

19. The Freezer

New SetupS Sendto Suite update -- v8.11.7.29 (Transatlantic!) -- see first post for the goodies. Recent Change-log:

Use this to test the new online-updater:

xan and Trouba like this.
  20. The Freezer

Thanks. Also asks that if your version is newer (in case we have to revert)

21. The Freezer

Depends on what you're attempting. Simply changing settings you'll need the "ssConfig.ini" (the one in %LastOSResources%, I suspect) but for Startmenu work you'll want stuff like "MenuDefaults.ini" and the "Tools\Menu" sub-folder. It also uses Regenerator which in turn uses SetupS which uses 7-Zip. LOL

SetupScp has the most dependencies of all of them so to be safe, you'll probably end up using them all.

22. The Freezer

... just seeing who notices and uses the new online update checker... ;)

23. The Freezer

This one only had a few minor changes and will only be an intermediate one before releasing the ironically named "Skynet version" LOL

Here's what go changed on this one though:
    Code:
    ------------------------------------------
    v8.11.7.31 (July 31, 2011)
    ------------------------------------------
    ADD: New SetupS Control Panel shortcuts for resorting the Startmenu.
    FIX: Items missing from the Developers' Pack.

24. -c0dez3ro-

well this verison is setup a whole lot better then what i did , so thanks , now back to what i should of asked in the first place , the useing of autoinstall.ini ,
    since there is no menu option set besides standard win 7 , would there be any chance of makin standalones for each one , lastos ,kazz mainly those two , that way we can either set it as the first ssapp that runs or last ppapp either /or .

Edit: and btw u are missin ssEditor.chm
    SetupS.Project_v8.11.7.31_DevelopersPack\Source.Code\SetupS.Editor

edit2: i get a blue screen when i use xan method
    Code:
    rem ** Set default MenuStyle to LastOS **
    start /wait %ssWPIPath%\Tools\SetupScp.exe -LastOS

Attached Files:

25. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I THINK, RON/Freezer would have to confirm this, that all that needs to be done is for the appropriate trigger file to exist in the right place. ie either LastOSSetupSMenu.ini or KazzSetupSMenu.ini in the root of your system drive. [When ssWPI creates those files, it puts the string "Sorting Enabled" in the file, but I don't think it matters, anything should do as long as it's not empty.] I believe that is what triggers SetupS to apply the appropriate menu sorting method at setup - the existence of one of those files. So there shouldn't need to be special versions made to accomplish the preset sorting methods. I THINK. :)