Miscellaneous discussion (SetupS)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Trouba, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Glenn

Glenn Administrator

Code:
    [File Explorer.lnk.WIN_10]
    Target=
    Description=Displays the files and folders on your computer.
    Icon=%windir%\explorer.exe
    Default=%Programs%\System Tools
    Catalog=
    Shortcut=
    [Run.lnk.WIN_10]
    Target=
    Icon=%windir%\system32\shell32.dll
    Index=-25
    Default=%Programs%\System Tools
    Catalog=
    Shortcut=
    Sorry I don't have Quick Assist, I never removed it so don't know why I don't, running Win 10 Pro x64.

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator

Here is the actual .lnk's if the above is incomplete, dunno why the target is blank.

Attached Files:

3. The Freezer

The Freezer Lead Developer for SetupS Staff Member

Universal Apps, maybe?

If I remember correctly, peeking at the properties of a Universal app's shortcut will show the target is disabled.

Glenn likes this.
  4. Glenn

Glenn Administrator

I just noticed that if you install a ppGame it will create a StartIn= in the link target section even if it never had one set. This would be fine, but with ppGames you can actually move them around out of the X:\ppGames\ folder to Y:\ppGames\ if the HDD is getting full, this stops it from working with ssWPI or any shortcuts being made as the drive letter for %ppGames% is different to the manually move to drive. Not sure why you would want a StartIn= when the exe is in the root path anyway, that happens automatically.

Up to you if you think it's worth changing this, just something I noticed.

5. The Freezer

Yeah, I see what you mean. But, I, for the life of me, cannot remember what possible reason I had for doing that. Most of the time Startin is the same as %AppPath%; and if left blank defaults to %AppPath% anyway. Plus, all the paths -- Target, Icon, etc.even StartIn -- are all relative to the %AppPath%. The only mandatory (non-blank) requirements for a shortcut are its Link Name and Target. :what:

I'll take a closer look, I can't imagine that that was a random decision.

Glenn likes this.
  6. Glenn

Glenn Administrator

I hope you mean as well as.. because I will have a heap of apps to go and update otherwise. So do you still support reading the old flag for backwards compatibility?

7. The Freezer

Yes, of course. :)

In fact, the previous version(s) had supported the flags as "Is_x86"/"Is_x64" and not as "Is_86"/"Is_64" so they would end-up creating both shortcuts (with the same name) usually the x64 version being the "survivor" and not working on an x86 OSArch. A re-save with ssEditor (or a manual edit changing them to "Is_x86"/"Is_x64") would actually "fix" the bug using a previous version of SetupS. But I'm not certain how long it'd been around or how it'd gone for so long without being noticed. And why did I choose those strings to begin with? They are not consistent with the convention I had already established with the folder naming or the OSArch gates used elsewhere in the specs.

Bottom-line is that those odd flags, "Is_86"/"Is_64", were what was causing the real the bug.

A weird bug for sure; but fear not. I prepared the latest to work using either set of flags.

bphlpt and Glenn like this.
  8. The Freezer

While I'm at it, might not be a bad idea to add #Is_x86# / #Is_x64# as well ... would be even more consistent and even less confusing.

I'm also wondering how many ppApps are using Is_86 / Is_64 flags. It's proving a bit of a challenge as the Type 2b's (2>2) are clearly marked with "_DualArch"; but the Type 2a's (2>1) are not obvious from their filenames and have to be dismantled to reveal the _x86 & _x64 folder structures and/or the shortcut def flags for dual-arches. :what:

Trouba likes this.
  9. The Freezer

So far I've only found 2 ppApps using the "Is_86" / "Is_64" flags. The others were using "Is_x86" / "Is_x64" flags.

I would say they were anomalies except the "Is_86" / "Is_64" flags are mentioned in the ssTek help file included with SetupS (the previous version -- I've updated the references for v17.12.3.0).

That's a good thing -- and maybe why it went unnoticed for so long -- because it was those flags ("Is_86" / "Is_64") that were causing the bug.

10. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I've only ever used "Is_x64" / "Is_x86", I'm pretty sure.