Miscellaneous discussion (SetupS)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Trouba, Jul 6, 2011.

1. xan

xan Guest

In Kel's defense, there were so many different types of utilities in the full pack that I can't imagine naming it anything other than Utilities or something generic like that. Also, there are 2 uninstallers left for "VistaSwitcher" and "Sendto Xtras". I removed the uninstallers for some of the other apps that I removed, because those apps had newer versions available as pp/ssApps already.

I agree that it is no wonder why SetupS had problems with this pack. Not only are the exe's all over the place, but most of them do not have Start Menu shortcuts because they are either in the context menu's or in SendTo. Several of them I doubt I will ever use, but they are so small its probably not worth taking the effort to remove them from the pack. Amazing how many apps are in this little 1.3 meg installer.

2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

What, "Kel's Uber Pack" was taken already? ;)

LOL

3. The Freezer

Or better yet if you specify one from the start (thereby not allowing SetupS to derive one) and merely adjust/rebuild your archives accordingly. Worse case you've still got %Extract% %SourcePath%\SomeArchive.7z -o%SystemRoot% if your %AppPath% is something different for example, %ProgramFiles%

I don't think that's a very good idea at all. It would kind of defeat the purpose of Nonething to begin with. And one that immediately comes to mind of course is to always show an app in ssWPI regardless if it's already installed.

4. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

5. Trouba

I thought this would fit in nicely with our attempts to drive Freezer nuts :D

6. xan

xan Guest

LMAO! Thats true! Although, if someone that never heard of Kels Uber Pack saw it, then Utilities would be much more descriptive.

7. xan

xan Guest

I'm all for specifying a sub-folder. I've read some comments saying there are good reasons to use %ProgramFiles% without a sub-folder, but I have not heard the reasons and don't know enough about SetupS/ssWPI to figure out what the reasons are. Well, besides legacy apps. I can understand the need for it before the NoneThing flag, which I get the impression is a fairly new feature. Not that I fully understand NoneThing. Does it do anything besides not copying the .app/.ico/.jpg/.png files to the <AppPath>/destination folder?

8. Trouba

My attempts to un-robotify this thread have clearly failed...

9. The Freezer

LOL, you mean if someone else installed it on their computer without their knowledge .... ? ;)

10. The Freezer

Clearly, like Frodo and Obi-wan, we are left stupefied and speechless after getting Nyan'd

11. Trouba

By 'speechless' you mean 'highly selective responses,' right? :)

12. The Freezer

You've heard reasons, yes; but I wouldn't call them "good". ;)

Take for an example that you have an archive which extracts to the subfolders "Resources\Themes" and your .app-file has this:
    <AppPath>​
    %SystemRoot%.​

I merely propose that folk take an alternative approach: repack their archives without the subfolder(s) and use this in their .app-file instead:
    <AppPath>​
    %SystemRoot%\Resources\Themes​

<Assembly>​
    md "%AppPath%" #DOS#​

Note, the newer versions of SetupS no longer require that line in <Assembly>

xan likes this.
  13. The Freezer

Speechless as in, "I don't know how to even respond to that"

14. Trouba

I must admit, that was the effect I was going for :p

BTW, do you suppose in the example given above to include an archive called ssApp.7z or something? I've seen (and made) several things like that, some are WinRAR SFX's, some archives called upon through <Assembly> but with subfolders inside the archives, and some other varieties. But if you say newer SetupS doesn't need the <Assembly> line, then what are the requirements for the archive (that it be called ssApp.7z or...)?

15. The Freezer

Yeah, I was going to put that in that example but I had felt it'd make my point less clear. But yes, you could name it any one of the following is acceptable to SetupS (my use of the vertical bar "|" means "or"):
    SetupS.7z|.rar|.cab|.zip​
    ssApp.7z|.rar|.cab|.zip​
    ppApp.7z|.rar|.cab|.zip​
    ppGame.7z|.rar|.cab|.zip​
    Patch.7z|.rar|.cab|.zip​

(there's more but those are the basic ones)

16. Trouba

OK, thanks. "Save."

17. The Freezer

FYI, this is the actual archive filenaming "spec" used by SetupS to determine if it will "install" it:
    {BuildType}.7z|.rar|.zip|.cab (ie, ssApp.7z, ppApp.rar, etc.)​
    Patch.7z|.rar|.zip|.cab (ie, Patch.7z, Patch.rar, etc.)​
    %SourcePath%.7z|.rar|.zip|.cab (ie, CCleaner_ppApp.7z, CCleaner_ppApp.rar, etc.)​
    %AppPath%.7z|.rar|.zip|.cab (ie, CCleaner.7z, CCleaner.rar, etc.)​

With a special exception for legacy ppGames (those without <BuildType> in their .ppg-file) in which case any and all archives get "installed".

18. The Freezer

Nope, you got it, that's it. It's a full SetupS install except all the extra files either get skipped or deleted (if they still end up in the %AppPath%) such that there's no way to tell SetupS was ever used to install it.

Or in other words, "Nonething" happened.

19. Trouba

So what you are saying is, Nonething is really Everything, and Everything is purely Temporal. We are all in some type of Temp folder somewhere. Unless we are heroes and become Fixed Stars and are referenced by the wheel of samsara (ssWPI) or potential births. I really wish you could just for once not wax philosophical when talking about code. :D

bphlpt likes this.
  20. The Freezer

21. xan

xan Guest

I was thinking more along the lines of my wife using my computer or a friend or kids of family/friends looking for games. Hmm, Kels Uber Pack is a game, isn't it?

22. xan

xan Guest

Congrats on the win! Uhmm, what makes you think I don't listen to you? Oh great, now I don't know who I should listen to... can we have a vote on who I should listen to?

23. xan

xan Guest

Is this English? It looks like English, but I can't seem to understand it. :confused:

24. The Freezer

Yeah, sorry I don't speak Dutch, either

25. Trouba

I'm like Freezer, I say things even though I know most people don't understand them :D

bphlpt likes this.