Picnic11, Picnic10, Last11_v2 Releases

Discussion in 'Last11' started by Glenn, Mar 14, 2023.

1. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Picnic10
    Right click into a folder space, open the submenu New and there is no offer of new text file, just rtf. That is the last straw that broke the camel's back. Next time I will be reinstalling, I am going back to the older win10 2016 (don't know if the 2016 was win version or the year - they couldn't come up with more stupid versioning than this one).

The movement from using plain txt files is another step towards catering to the mainstream simpletons, taking another cue from macintosh where they banished plain text files long time ago. The only way was to get third party program to make them and now windows jumped on that same bandwagon.

Another big thing is, when you have any window open, in any program, not just windows native programs, if you ride mouse cursor to its edge, no arrow pops up signifying that you can pull the window edge to make it smaller or bigger. You have to click on blind and hope that the arrow will show up then.
    This I believe is in win11 and also in win10 later versions, including of course Picnic10 (if I am not mistaken since having mix of win11 and 10 in my workspace, I can confuse what is what).

Originally I believed I would need to move to the latest win10 or to win11 because I had problem with or in VStudio but since then, I determined it wasn't due to older win10. So when I move to reinstall, it will be going back to that win10 2016 version which is not Last OS, I just suffer while installing it and then apply your tweaks to make it LastOS (don't know if there was a Last10 edition near that windows version).

That version of win10 is the last that still selected only the file names in explorer list view, not the whole column width. That was my pet complaint and still is. I am reminded of it almost daily on every newer windows install. It is not problem for most folks because it seems everybody is using the default 'detailed view' in explorer, probably you also.

Every time people post a picture of something from desktop, it shows they are using the detailed view. Recently I was invited via Teamviewer to this Chinese guy's computer and he also uses detailed view in explorer. Besides that, it was quite an eye opener to see how they type in alphabet as we do but it converts to simplified Chinese symbols on the fly, sort of as a word completion, suggestion but instead it converts to those symbols. So they actually don't type those symbols, as they couldn't given they are using normal computer keyboards.

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I'll make a tweak that puts New Text Document back as it's meant to be there, it just disappears from time to time.. I also use it and know it's a easy reh tweak to put it back.

-EDIT-

I can't get the txt file to show, you may need to re-install/repair Notepad from the Store for it to come back sorry (I also don't like the way file types are handled in Win 11)... The Attached file will add New ini file to the context menu... still requires you to rename the .ini to .txt, but it's better than none. You need to restart explorer or the whole PC once you apply the reg file.

-EDIT-

Yeah repairing it from the Settings -> Apps -> Installed Apps. Search for Notepad and click it, down the bottom it says repair.. this will add new text document back. If you don't have Notepad installed you'll need to run Store and install it.

Attached Files:

3. Glenn

This seems to fix it for me, just apply reg and restart explorer or PC to have it back ;)

-EDIT-

I've added it to the LastOS Tweaks and sysprep list too. I was sick of it going away also, just never had time to figure out why.. it's because Notpad.exe is missing now and if you remove Modern Notepad from the OS it breaks it. So the reg fixes it and if you still can't get it to work, just put Notepad from the store back on and repair it as required.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
    chevy350 likes this.
  4. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Thanks Glenn, the 'ini' suggestion recalled how I solved it for that one time I needed to make new txt file. There was already a 'license.txt' in the directory which I duplicated and renamed and emptied to create an empty Config.cfg file. A workaround would be to keep an empty txt file on desktop and copy it every time you needed to make new one.

As to solution, how about if the native notepad would be left alone and the custom notepad would be added to the context menu as second notepad and then everybody who wanted would make this custom notepad a default app in the system? That way the custom notepad wouldn't be replacing the native notepad on a system level.

But take this suggestion as coming from one who doesn't know what it all involves.

That movement to Macintosh style of doing things (really it is just catering to the average simple computer user who is in the majority) is also showing in making scroll bars as invisible and non-existing as possible. Making them narrow and or autohide and so hard to use. Even this Notepad3 joined in on it. You can only guess where the arrow is to click it to move the text down one line... or try to grab the scroll bar.

upload_2023-4-30_14-42-29.png

5. Glenn

I've done it the other way around now. If you install the fixed reg file (which will be included in Last11 v3 by default) it will use whatever .txt editor you have associated. if you need the UAP notepad with tabs etc, then you install it from the store. Else if you install Notepad 3 from ssWPI then it'll open it with that - you may still need to use "Open With" to set the defaults, much like you have to with Irfanview and images.. As you know, this is a new issue with Windows 10+ as it requires you to add associations not using the registry, you need to use the power shell and I've not figured out that yet.

mortmaru and vanTorX like this.
  6. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Works perfect.

On first notepad file launch, I got offered the choice which notepad to use as default, chose Notepad3 and I am set. Thanks.

7. Carter67

Carter67 New Member

Been out this scene for many years but I'm so glad I got curious this OS
    Picnic11_x64_2023-03-14 is a tremendous built and by far the best op ive used for years,, since win7 days.. Actually cant believe I forgot the difference with mods are. Thanks for your efforts bringing this to us its much appreciated