Problems with eMule...

Discussion in 'Misc Discussion' started by zdevilinside, Jun 9, 2018.

1. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

I cannot get something I have been looking for to download at all on eMule. When I have tested the ports, the TCP test always fails. I have setup static ports on the application, made sure eMule is allowed through the firewall, set a DHCP reservation for my IP on the router and have forwarded the eMule ports on the router to the IP of the system running eMule.

UPnP is turned off on client and at router due to security issues.

What else should I check? What might I have missed?

If any of you want to be nice and download this link below and then send me a link to somewhere it is shared so I can download it, I would be greatly appreciative.

ed2k://|file|PBS.-.Nova.(s29e13).Secrets,.Lies,.and.Atomic.Spies.avi|460067840|3CF69BAC2E27F81D053B80C9AB7DB302|h=W5KQNAEIZICKX7MOD4MYIF6QIIVZ74YZ|/

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

3. zdevilinside

LOL - I found that at an old site I last visited in 2010. When I made that request, it wasn't available on youtube yet.

4. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

When you connect to an "eD2K Network", do you get "ID: High ID"? And "Kad Network" you get "Status: Open" and "UDP Status: Open"? For example:

eD2K Network
    IP: port: 174.96.57.117:42697
    ID: 1966694574
    High ID

eD2K Server
    Name: eMule oVPN.to Anonymous ed2k-Server - RU1
    Description: www.ovpn.to Anonymous Services
    IP: port: 193.124.182.62:64242
    Aux Ports: 64242
    Version: 17.15
    Users: 4,471
    Files: 1,928,402
    Connection: Obfuscated

Kad Network
    UDP Status: Open
    IP: port: 174.96.57.117:42069
    ID: 2925541749

Web Interface

Wap Interface

Upnp
    RT-N65R
    4938:UDP, 42069:UDP, 42697:TCP, 4711:TCP
    Also, in "Preferences.ini" set "BindAddr" (at least) and "UpnpBindAddr" (just in case you decide to use UPnP) to whatever local network address your emule is connecting through. For example:

BindAddr=192.168.1.6
    UpnpBindAddr=192.168.1.6
    I've been an ed2k user since its inception and if it's configured correctly, you get downloads almost as fast as BT, sometimes faster -- especially for recent stuff like tv-shows released the previous night.

I do use a mod called StulleMule so your mileage may vary. (StulleMule allows alot more customization than the vanilla emule especially with configuration. Such as random port ranges for both TCP & UDP.)

These are the two sites I use on a daily basis:
    ShareTheFiles also has a veritable library of TV Shows -- kept up-to-date way more frequently than MoTV:

Trouba likes this.
  5. The Freezer

FYI, I'm already about 12% on "PBS.-.Nova.(s29e13).Secrets,.Lies,.and.Atomic.Spies.avi" ;)

6. mortmaru

mortmaru New Member

are you using a vpn while attempting to use emule?

The Freezer likes this.
  7. The Freezer

You're right. That could be why his TCP tests are failing. I hadn't thought of that.

Personally, I've never felt the need to run ed2k through a VPN. Definitely yes with torrents. But just running ed2k obfuscated on random ports and solely via KAD seemed sufficient to me. Only need to connect to a ed2k server (such as "www.oVPN.to" and others) to get enough known clients to bootstrap KAD from.

8. The Freezer

... and it seems to have run out of steam. It's been stuck at 86.4% :what:

9. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

The link Glenn provided above worked for me. :)

10. The Freezer

Ouch, first this about 3 months ago with KeepVid which I used a lot:

KeepVid Site No Longer Allows Users to ‘Keep’ Videos
    And now with PickVideo (and two others) just yesterday:

YouTube Download Sites Throw in the Towel Under Legal Pressure

Hopefully VidPaw survives, as they're the only go to I have left. :(

The search for alternatives continues.

This looks promising. Maybe I'll make it into a ppApp ;)

11. The Freezer

The ed2k one finally completed. It might be a scene release. The one on YouTube appears to be a VHS-rip. I'll have to compare the two.

12. zdevilinside

Thank you very much for the help! I appreciate it.

Yes, I am using VPN. I need to where I live these days. :(

13. zdevilinside

I have used JDownloader in the past. I thought it was a great tool but didn't meet my requirements back then. I wanted to download all of a website so I could have a local mirror. That was about 5 years ago and I don't remember the specifics.

14. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I have also used JDownloader fairly often in the past and would welcome a ppApp of the current version.

I haven't used eMule in a long time. It always seemed rather laborious to set up. And now that I am using a VPN most of the time, that seems to be an extra problem. If there were very clear instructions on how to get it to work reliably with a VPN, or even better an automated setup, I'd be more tempted to try again.

Regarding the original desired TV show that started this thread, a torrent does seem to be available for it that has very good download speed - https://thepiratebay.org/search/secrets lies atomic spies/0/99/0 - I'll post back to confirm that it seems to be the same show.

EDIT: Not quite the same show, seems to be abbreviated ~55:00 compared to the other of ~1:20:00, but better than nothing. [ I haven't watched either version completely to see what's missing or different.]

The Freezer likes this.
  15. The Freezer

The ed2k one is about 55 minutes and is complete; whereas the YouTube-one is about 81 minutes and is complete up to about the same 55 minute mark as the ed2k one but then jumps through varying repeating segments for the rest of the video. :what:

The PirateBay's appears to be a transcoded version of the the ed2k one -- into an MKV container (x264/AAC):
    But the ed2k version is a "DivX 5" container (AVI/MP3) that most set-tops won't play -- due to licensing issues -- that is unless you change the FourCC codec ID in the header to show "XviD" instead. ;)

Anyway, the quality of the ed2k rip is much better than the YouTube rip in both the audio and the video.

16. The Freezer

We have a ppApp I used to use called WinHTTrack

17. mortmaru

mortmaru New Member

You should never port forward on router if using vpn that is leaving door open.

Port forwarding should be done via the vpn. (only a few do allow port forwarding)

who is your vpn provider?

18. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Hi, didn't know eMule still exists. Tried it many years ago and it worked but somehow or other I dropped using it shortly.

I must say I don't download many videos, but a while back, like 5 to 10 years at least, I downloaded from Demonoid torrent five season series "Fortier", a French Canadian krimi-psycho series (in French Quebec dialect with English subtitles) of which season 4 was missing. And since then I never could get hold of that season 4 whenever I tried, when it came to my attention here and there, like when I noticed I have it on my drive. I even got messaged by other Demonoid users over the years if I have it (S4) which was the only contact I ever had with other torrent downloaders.

I don't think much of Canadian movie production overall but as with everything, sometimes they make something good and this series is that case. Seeing this thread, I recalled it and I wonder if the ed2k network might have this series available on it? I guess I should install emule or maybe make account on the forum that Freezer above posted link to. I wonder if any of you here ever heard of this series?

19. mortmaru

mortmaru New Member

That series does appear on the network from what I can see but I can't vouch for if it will complete or be good quality

It looks like it is on utube as well.

It did have a limited dvd release as well not sure if it would be expensive to purchase.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  20. The Freezer

As far as I know, none of those links require an account. I rarely sign-in even though I've got an account.

If you're good with IRC, you could also checkout MoTV at Station 51 (irc://irc.station51.net/motv). That's the source database for TV4ed2k & ShareTheFiles and is kept current -- usually minutes after the shows have aired. The downloadable db is way out-of-date (by a couple years at least) so I wouldn't bother downloading that unless you're looking up shows older than that.

Good luck with Fortier. Best I could find was the Wikipedia entry; which mentions a subtitled version on Best of French Canada
    anthology series.

21. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Thanks for replies, sorry if I didn't respond in timely fashion, I didn't check the thread for a bit, didn't really expect any response (am skeptic ;)

Quality probably can't be worse than what I have (45 minutes in 351 MB .avi, bigger than a postage stamp :rolleyes: but still OK in full screen). I rarely use utube, will have a look.

I also happen to have News acct @ Usenet and I think people use that to download movies/shows but might have to google how to do that. I am rather conservative (or maybe lazy) to explore new venues...

That ties in to Freezer's mention of IRC source - after a second of 'browsing in my brain', I fished out that the abbreviation means InternetRelayChat but that's about all I know, never came closer to it :what: also don't tweet if there is some connection.

Also when it comes to forums, I pretty well take it for granted that most require registering rigmarole before allowed in, never mind searching content... my bad.

I watched the series some years, probably many years ago and you know how it goes, typically you have better memory of things than they actually are if you revisit, but in this case I watched three episodes again and it didn't lose its charm. I guess it is not for everybody, soundtrack is original French and Quebec dialect to boot and if that wasn't enough, it is spoken very fast, same as people talk in normal life, which makes it rather hard to understand unless you are native... luckily it has decent English subtitles.

My French is middling at best (I learned from French/Belgian comics, also lived in English Canada where labels on goods are bilingual), I like to sharpen it watching some movies in original French soundtrack and this series is extra challenging. It also has two other things going for it - the catching atmospheric music and the lead actress. And I like it despite not being a fan of psychology messing in screwed up criminal minds. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  22. zdevilinside

The IRC has been around for quite some time; I remember telnetting into it back in 1994. Things have changed a lot since then but the Internet Relay Chat hasn't really. In my opinion, mIRC is probably the easiest client to use for those that are not that familiar with the service. I still occasionally go to #Chatzone (my first channel on the IRC) to see if anyone I know is on. Believe it or not, I still see 3 or 4 "regulars" from back then online. Truly an amazing service to have survived this long with the amount of changes that have occurred since then.

23. The Freezer

Actually, the TV4ed2k site has no way to register or login ;) The other nice thing about that site is that it gets its links directly from the MoTV database off IRC. So I guess there's no real need to bone-up on IRC commands and all that.

Sometimes I forget there's a generation clueless about legacy stuff like CLI, DOS, etc. -- In fact, "legacy" IS the term commonly used outside Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram... ouch, I'm really showing my age LOL

24. zdevilinside

*gives* The Freezer his "I am an old fart" t-shirt. ;) :p

25. The Freezer

Hell, I was told on several occasions that even forums are dinosaurs now