Tic-Tac doesn't obey laws of physics

Discussion in 'Interesting/Unrelated' started by Trouba, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I have read my previous post again and I don't see any evidence of me attacking anything. You claim "attack" twice in your post above so I am going to have to ask you for your evidence and if you don't have it then I would have to conclude that you were speaking with bias.

Sheldrake, for example, has endured 30 years of attacks about his (sincere) ideas and analyses of the various philosophies of science (including the bases for philosophies of materialism) and got censored by TED talks because of lobbying by one or two dogmatic "scientific" organizers who found out he was scheduled to speak and sabotaged it. TED leadership had to apologize for this. He gets accused of dogmatism in science by those who espouse scientific dogmas themselves. He has many scientists as friends and, as he said in one of the videos, personally they confide in him that their respective fields contain much dogma and that, if you would counter it, you would do so at your own professional peril. Combine this with the fact that much scientific research has economic incentive rather than knowledge incentive. Despite this, people like Sheldrake are still conducting many experiments that involved thousands of people from all over the world. As I said I did some website work for him once and I can attest to this. In fact he has never stopped doing this. So if your characterization pertained to him, you are purely speaking with bias. You apparently just assumed, as your mind was made up already -- which would be the antithesis of scientific inquiry. Maybe you just "don't like" his ideas, just like Richard Dawkins didn't. Even though Dawkins got scientific papers sent to him, he didn't read them -- so how would he even know? He disregarded actual findings of statistical significance and instead favored the public shaming of a person of inquiry, such as done in the Middle Ages. Yet, people this spiteful and unscientific should have our trust? In short, your point was that the victim of countless, spiteful and unwarranted attacks is the attacker because he is analyzing the history of scientific dogma. I guess it would be a sweeter deal if those who were abused and shamed would also shut up about how they were treated by "the community."

I was rather talking about the possibility that man might have had experiential knowledge of the universe in more ways than the sensory and intellectual, in relation to the idea that consciousness might be a fundamental reality in the universe. If you see an attack of sorts in my *defense* of those "injectors of mysticism into science who enjoy impunity in the scientific community" -- to paraphrase you -- then I feel we are truly upside-down in this discussion. If anything, your unsolicited "with impunity" comment was an attack on those scientists who have come to a different model or overview than your own or the one you consider to be consensus. My point was to say that scientists other than your "mystics with impunity" are injecting various unproven assumptions and dogmas regarding reality into science all the time -- it is apparently just that you appear to side with their overview more so than with those whom you describe as "mystics."

I understand my subconscious mind a lot better than Freud did his. That I can and will say. See, I said all this without making any phallic references (or maybe I just did, lol).

Why even have the need to supplant any deity? Who is requiring this? I guess you are confirming the argument that many scientists are still seeking to eliminate God from their worldview. To which I would say, if your reality does not require a God, then these scientists must be subconsciously reactionary to religious conditioning, still. This type of conditioning is actually one of the things I'm talking about, namely dogmatic and reactionary worldviews that have roots outside of what should be the scientific process.

So you are slamming my defense of openness with arguing the merits of openness? Thank you! :D

2. Trouba

Identity politics is everywhere. Tribalism. This is Rupert Sheldrake's plane after he tried to contact the Consensus Amazonicus tribe:

[​IMG]

:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

bphlpt likes this.
  3. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Well, reason requires it!

I didn't like to employ the word 'attacking' to begin with but couldn't think of a more fitting term. What I wanted to say is, those who come up with something can investigate it themselves and not complain (that's better term than attack) that 'official' science or some media could shoulders them. Certainly there are scientists who might take up the challenge suggested by non-scientists, there are scientists of all kinds in the field.

I also don't have any illusion of the mainstream science being 'right' in all their positions, but that still doesn't make its opposition, its critiques right.

I wouldn't have a clue how such ideas could be pursued further beyond such suggestion as you make here, in some, indeed any fruitful way. Personal experiences even if honest (or as it might be, not honest), are simply too nebulous anyway you look at it, to be pursued beyond speculation in some scientific ways.

There is a huge storm approaching here in Central Europe, my satelite tv reception is being interrupted, lightening strikes nearby very loudly, I better post this before my computer shuts down due to electricity going off :eek:
    Edit: sure enough, just had ten minutes blackout five minutes after I wrote this. :emoji_copyright:

I think I should add that all my pursuits in science (since I am not professional scientist) are purely theoretical. When it comes to consciousness, I focus on down to earth concept formation (about which those working on AIntelligence have little clue to their major disadvantage), and the rest of my interest is only tentative and speculative (like connection of consciousness to the quantum mechanical effects).
    As to wider connection of consciousness to universe, I am skeptical. I see it like historical stabs at tying the inertia of masses to all the rest of the matter in universe (Mach's hypothesis) which lead to nothing in the end, while my own research pins it down as purely local effect.
    Looking for answers in wide universe usually, in my view, signifies running away from investigative difficulties closer to home.

I am off to watch French Open tennis finals :emoji_tennis: between Nadal & Thiem :emoji_couch:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  4. Trouba

Be safe with the storm. Living in a somewhat rural area myself I often have blackouts. Once I was right at this desk and a lightning storm crept up on me quietly and suddenly a lightning strike hit right around my house and literally zapped my modem which I had sitting on top of my PC at the time. I could see a bright flash :emoji_boom: inside the modem and then smoke coming out of it. Normally I use Wi-Fi for my computers but at that time I had directly wired the modem to my PC, but luckily (very) it did not blow up my PC or even the ethernet socket.

Tennis should be largely explainable by Newtonian and Einsteinian science, have fun :emoji_tennis: :emoji_smile:

5. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Never had any equipment affected, at most I called it a day and shut down all of it when we had repeated power failure during some bad storm. I think town or some regional transformer gets knocked out.

Weather is getting tougher these days as we all know, luckily storms don't come directly overhead where I live in a town of some 1500, we don't have earthquakes here and flooding due to a small creek when it happens once or twice in a lifetime doesn't affect me as I live on a raised area in town. As they say, sitting pretty :geek:
    My guess is, it is not rural setting as such that invites lightning but specifics of the place, like landscape and air currents which make some places more prone to get hit.

Tennis when we speak of outcome is mostly decided by consciousness, specifically by subconscious (given similar physical training). Nadal didn't disappoint. (y)
    Its mechanics is practically pure Newton, Einstein comes into it only theoretically.

These days I am virtually bombarded by TV programs related to our discussion, like documentaries about UFOs :alien: and universe :emoji_atom:, also movie Contact (USA 1997) :notworthy:, I enjoy it all as stimulating my brain cells.

Trouba likes this.