Last11 Pro 22H2 Full Body

Discussion in 'Last11' started by Glenn, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Michael740

Michael740 New Member

ya it sure did help to get this installed and to be able to use it to do some os rips was so much better with all the garbage turned of for real thanks to you all for the hard work you put into these builds you know I been using Last os I know it was XP and seem to think I remember a 99 but I am getting older and can not say for sure it was a 99 he he but i have always had the last os running since I got one back in the XP days and was always looking forward to finding a new one from time to time so thanks for all the years of great work that I am very grateful for and the finding if the community here on LastOS site and since they one again are getting close Happy Holidays to you all and enjoy the new year!

Glenn likes this.
  2. silnwarez

silnwarez New Member

Can you post new version updated please and if you could try to keep it like that with new updates each month would be awesome

3. Mace

Mace epicmacecail

im having trouble because Vuze doesn't wanna cooperate, and it doesn't download s███
    my isp is Weiss Internet, but IDK if thats the issue
    I prefer to get the ISO instead of the torrent because torrenting is hell for me
    Please share the iso file to my email (in my profile's "Information" tab)
    Thank you and have a nice day

-Mace

4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I do not think that is the goal here, updates come from Microsoft but other than that I see updates happening for the apps and such. Which update per month you want/need?

5. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I have been seeding this for more than a week, I use Utorrent.

6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I am uploading this for external download for those that may have issues with the torrent, still use the torrent to check file integrity after download of the file from link that I will post when upload is complete. I will post the link once it is fully uploaded and verified from my side.

NOTE: My upload speed is slow but my download speed is very fast so have patience.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  7. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

chevy350 likes this.
  8. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

9. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Very likely you will still have the hardware issues but this by passes the hardware check on initial install but the end results will tell you more. Just be prepared to go back to what is working for you now if this does not work, this will work on the new laptop you got so no issues there.

EDIT: Make sure if you install to a single drive is to 'unplug all the extra hard drives' so it is smooth sailing - I do this EVERY time to avoid cross contamination of windows wanting to use other drives as the boot drive etc.. This works great for a desktop scenario.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  10. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

may i suggest adding in Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver
    driver

Ghost likes this.
  11. chevy350

chevy350 New Member

Seems to be running fine for me, had a small issue during install but was user error lol. So far everything I've thrown at it have worked as expected...seeding as well

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  12. fracl

fracl New Member

I'm downloading torrent now, will keep seeding for a while,can't wait to try it. thanks

13. silnwarez

silnwarez New Member

Please make a new update for 2023 :)

14. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Seeding Last11.jpg

So far seeded 228 GB on torrent and that is even forgetting to launch the torrent program these last several months. That's some 38 isos

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  15. registriraj1do6

registriraj1do6 New Member

Thank you!
    For more than decade (I can't really remember when I installed LastXP for the first time)...you guys saved a ton of my nerves...and I don't even bother to install something else except some LastOS on my comp.

chevy350, Glenn and silnwarez like this.
  16. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I have finally installed it on one older computer and everything went smoothly, thank you very much.

I have a bunch of questions and comments.

1) Usually on my installs, I don't update windows at all until one day I reinstall completely and it comes with more than just updates, like this win11 replacing win10.
    I postponed updates to max, till mid April. When the time comes closer to receive this postponed update, will I be able to postpone it again for full period? I am hosting an online game from this computer and one day the update might interrupt it. But likely the updates happen in background and then you are notified to reboot?

2) 'zSort_StartMenu_LastOS_Style' gets auto installed from X:\sources\$FirstLogonApps.
    I don't like this sorting because with some apps it is not obvious under which sorting category they might be hidden. And if they are two folders deep in this sorting, it gets onerous to look them up even more.
    So I went to Menu, Settings and set 'No Sorting' choice. However all that means is that newly installed programs are not sorted, the ones already sorted in categories stay there. But I can fix it by removing this sorting app from the $FirstLogonApps on other installs. It is no problem on this PC since it is not a daily use machine, I run it headless and access it via TeamViewer only, like to serve the game from it and things like that.

One could have best of both worlds if the apps were all in the Start Menu root but those that belong to a given category would stick together (disregarding A-Z sorting for example). The categories could also be highlighted with some color. Doubt though that something like that exists in the StartAllBack settings.

On first look, I didn't like the StartAllBack menu but perhaps it could be customized... Anyway I went to AppsRepo on LastOS and installed Open-Shell start menu which I am used to. However this resulted in a loss of '1 line Quick Menu' on Taskbar and also the programs on it moved to the middle 'Macintosh style'. Reinstalling that 1 line Quick Menu doesn't work, and there is nothing in win11 settings to get programs on the Taskbar to move them from the center of the taskbar.

I copied StartAllBack ssApp from the install USB to this computer desktop but it won't install, it reports 'invalid path' or something like that. Probably will work once I get back to the computer and run it from the install USB location... Went to check AppsRepo but it is not there.

Also want to mention Wallpapers Live, it worked right after the install but there was a problem, I split my HDD to C and D partitions to keep win OS separate but after installing, the USB disk had D letter and my formerly D disk was now E. So the wallpapers live got installed on disk E which I have since then assigned back the old letter D. And now live wallppaper app won't run because it points to disk E for its wallpapers. And changing path to those wallpapers doesn't work, it insists on location E, probably a bug in the app. It probably just needs to be installed again.

I am guessing now that if I removed the USB installer during the first reboot, that second disk partition would have been D, but then probably the WPI wouldn't work as it installs from that USB key installer I believe.

All that is just saying, its not as if I really want live wallpapers on this computer, just thought to look at it before I'd disable it anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks as if the sound Volume Mixer panel is gone from win11, as you can see here, I use it to almost silence system beeps and mute game when I do something else and control other apps sounds. The huge sound panel in win11 seems to lack any of this functionality. This may be serious drawback if I should install win11 on my daily use desktop PC.

upload_2023-3-11_16-20-8.png

I read in the release post here that you removed Chinese language.
    I just checked and the Chinese language is displayed in file names as well as in txt editor, browser should work also I suppose.
    I must have misread the meaning of it, or maybe it just means I can't write out Chinese symbols? But can copy/paste them?
    upload_2023-3-11_17-23-46.png

Do you know if VirtualBox can install backup disk image in VM, either from Terabyte image or some other image making programs out there? I used R-Drive disk image lately, not sure why I moved from Terabyte in past, may try it again but was wondering if some disk backup image format is usable to install in VM, never done that before, always installed from iso.

Again, thank you for the work you guys are doing, I am excited about moving to new windows none the less, don't take these comments as complaints. It is my trait that I don't like to lose the old features that worked well for me in the past, but I guess it can't be helped and at some point one must move into the future. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    Trouba likes this.
  17. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I am a bit sick (with a Head cold), but will answer some of these questions so your on the right track.

I actually enforce the LastOS menu sorting in Windows 11 as it was getting harder to maintain 2 sort methods, to revert back to a regular start menu you need to:
    Run "- System\- Add, Install, & Setup\SetupS SendTo\StartMenu Resorting\Standard" or Run "- System\- Add, Install, & Setup\SetupS SendTo\SetupS Control Panel" and choose Standard from the drop down combo box on the first page.

This should resort the start menu to a standard start menu again and all future ssWPI apps will be sorted in turn.

The quickest way to find apps in any start menu is to click the start button and start typing the name of the Program/Game you want, then you can drag it to the desktop or somewhere else in the start menu (like the root folder) or use the context menu and pick "Pin To Start Menu" this should allow your apps to be easily accessed.

We removed the Chinese languages, but this only means some of the ability of using them is gone, we certainly remove the manual character input method like you said.

Yes you can use image software inside a VM (or partition software), so long as it has a bootable/active drive it should just boot from it fine.

Windows 11 has a crappy volume mixer, they are working on making an updated one that is useful again, so your right in noticing that.

Yeah updates don't force a reboot (they only do if it's a critical security update, and then you would really want it to reboot anyway).

To customize StartAllBack/StartIsBack you right click the start button and pick "properties", it has a good range of choices there (worth playing with).

To remove startisback and re-install it you need to manually remove some files (sorry this is just how it is). to uninstall it you first need to go to properties advanced and pick "Disable for this user", log out and back in, then use MyUninstaller or Add Remove to kill it, finally you go to "C:\Program Files\StartAllBack" and delete that folder with all it's contents, this will fix the Invalid path error.

Yeah wallpapers live requires you to set multiple locations for video file changes, best just quit it, go to D:\ppApps\MyWallpapersLive and delete that folder, re-install it again and it should hopefully link to D: instead of E:

You CAN NOT remove the USB from a LastOS install - it breaks it. so instead do not install from ssWPI, once at the desktop change the disk letters (before applying you LastOS settings), reboot then run ssWPI, I also have to do this when some disks aren't where I want them, LastOS Settings has a tools tab with a button to backup HDD letters. you then copy the Desktop\BackupDriveLetters.reg to another disk before you re-install, apply the reg after a new install and reboot, then you can have your disks where you left them.

By the way if you press F8 in ssWPI it will open the options, this also allows you to change the start menu sorting as well as other options. LastOS Settings also can set the menu types, but WILL NOT sort the menus, it's only for changing what the future apps will be sorted as.

Thanks for the feedback, hope some of this helps make it nicer for you.

vanTorX likes this.
  18. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Glenn will probably reply more in depth, but just a quick comment about sorting. SetupS gets pre-installed and the sorting too on these later releases, but when you run ssControlPanel you can revert the "LastOS" style sorting back to "Standard" which will put the default Windows start menu back (including the shortcuts to the sorted apps from pp/ssApps installs). So you can switch back and forth if you want. There are some ways to disable WU: https://www.easeus.com/knowledge-center/stop-windows-11-update.html

Chinese/Korean/etc Input Method Editor (IME) langs only are removed, not support for these languages altogether in the system. But that is a very specific usage case that wouldn't affect but very few people.

EDIT: Glenn already replied :D

vanTorX and Glenn like this.
  19. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Most definitely. I even think your post here could be appended to the original post where you wrote the notes about this release. This also reminds me of one wish, a suggestion. I've been around since LastXP13 or maybe even earlier and I always thought how nice it would be if the LastOS releases included a ReadMe inside iso where one could read the information about it, date when it was released (date is maybe the most important info when subsequent re-releases were made with some changes).

Like in this win11 install, when I booted into PE and started selecting WPI apps, I recalled that some should not be selected because they will be installed automatically. Luckily I had another computer next to me where I could open the release post and look up which apps those were. But there could be a readme.txt on the USB installer where the text of original release posting, minus the images. I think some past releases had some such info but I am not sure.
    I know these days with phones people don't get stuck reinstalling their desktops like it often happened in the past, when most folks had just one computer and when it was being reinstalled, you couldn't look for help on internet if things didn't go smoothly.

I believe I can fix it for next installs by removing this sorting app from the $FirstLogonApps on other installs (or all the other apps except the SetupS installer which I always want) .
    upload_2023-3-12_14-45-6.png

But you have to know at least part of program name, often its the case of 'I don't know the program name but I will know it when I see it'. But its true I very seldom go to launch programs from the start menu, most used ones I have links on desktop or in 1 Line quick access menu. Normally I keep taskbar on one line only but make it two lines when I have too many things open, even so the explorer windows combine...
    upload_2023-3-12_14-51-24.png

I meant when you make new VM to install windows, instead of selecting iso as the source of install, you would select a disk image you made previously to install from it. Probably it that is possible, only some image kinds might apply for such use. But what you are saying is using disk image making program inside an already installed and running VM (to make image of the running OS or to restore disk image to this VM HD.

I installed Open-Shell start menu on a hunch and so far it works on win11 just fine. I chose the menu theme I've never used before, nice colorful with 3d visual effect and easy to read names... In that StartAllBack menu with the dark theme and I think transparency, I could hardly make out the text (but I am sure it can all be configured). You guys are real night owls LOL

As you can see, the Chinese is OK, only need it to be displayed and copy/paste it like into google translate. I can't read it, only can recognize numbers 1-10 and symbols for colors :rolleyes:

upload_2023-3-12_15-7-49.png

Good thing I didn't remove it then (I recall in past, it would boot back into winPE on the first install reboot and USB installer had to be removed and reinserted for WPI (to break the loop) - I would gladly put up with it if that would also roll back my age :D).
    I only have C *& D disks and its easy enough to change drive letters in Disk Management post install. In my past LastOS installs, I already followed the policy of not setting up post installs in winPE and just ran ssWPI manually after post install manual reboot, just this time I forgot about it. I suppose best is not to do any such automatic installs which should go to disk D:\
    I suppose some people would be OK with having C & E disks with the latter being 'data disk' and have the first usb key they insert to use the letter D for ever after... but it offends my sensibilities. :geek:

----------
    Some wishes I sometimes have when I work on things.

There is this setting in the Settings panel to remove arrows from shortcuts plus the 'shortcut', not sure why anybody would want to remove the arrow but would it be possible to remove the .exe from it? I always display extensions on files but I like to see it removed from shortcuts. Maybe I do it so they are not confused with 'the real thing'. Not sure how doable that would be.

Second wish would be to disable the confirmation dialog that pops up when I append .OLD, .BAK., .Orig etc to .exe (like *.exe.OLD) and other such 'system protected files' to temporarily disable the exe file to test other version of it. I am sure you must do this sort of thing fairly often too, given you are developing LastOSs.

@Glenn: drink ginger tea, also my grandma used to advocate inhaling water wapor of salty water :cry:

20. Glenn

Trouba's releases always have the readme on the pe desktop with info. I'll do the same with my next ones.

StartIs Back is the only app that breaks silent installing, it was only included to be able to install it on non LastOS installs. I have adjusted my ssWPI to hide installed on new setup... This makes it impossible to select it.

I'll look into renaming file extensions and make shortcuts hide extensions, if it's possible I'll upload it to the ssWPI repository.

vanTorX likes this.
  21. Glenn

"would it be possible to remove the .exe from it? I always display extensions on files but I like to see it removed from shortcuts. Maybe I do it so they are not confused with 'the real thing'. Not sure how doable that would be."

No, the only way for you to not have it show the filetypes in newly created shortcuts is to Hide File Extensions at the time of creating a bunch of shortcuts.

"Second wish would be to disable the confirmation dialog that pops up when I append .OLD, .BAK., .Orig etc to .exe (like *.exe.OLD)"

Also impossible as Microsoft added the warning to explorer since windows 7 to help users not write over their file extensions when they are shown... The only way to not have this not occur is use a 3rd party tool (TotalCommander, FreeCommander, command prompt etc) to rename files.

vanTorX likes this.
  22. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

I guess one has to live with that. I thought it might be easy to do but also suspected it might be otherwise.

I have a problem installing Visual Studio 2022, not sure it is a generic win11 problem or this version of it. During installation the installer pops up asking me to locate the file missing vc_runtimeMinimum_x86.msi that it can't find. It tries to find it in the location C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\7ZipSfx.000\

upload_2023-3-14_15-28-55.png

The full path in that panel is weird, it somehow assumes there is an Administrator user which on this win11 installation is not, just Users\User\ (I didn't try modify anything regarding users).
    And second thing, you can see in the address bar in the explorer in the picture below, when I checked the path, just changing the Administrator to a User, there is indeed the 7Zip... location.
    I am baffled why it is locked on this 7zipSfx.000 location to look for the missing msi file. Also when I tried to 'repair VS installation', this query for that msi file popped up again.
    upload_2023-3-14_15-34-51.png

I searched around and I am not alone missing this msi file but I am confused by this Administrator user and why it looks in 7zip folder in temp location, it seems like related to this specific win11 installation which is why I am posting it here.

I already tried one suggested solution (download and install .net 4.71 sdk), also uninstall MS Visual C++ v14, of which I do have in Program files two versions (but neither of those is acceptable to the VS installer).

If I cancel this request, I get this notice at the end of installation (or at the end of repairing the installation) but VS runs and I can open solutions, so seemingly it is OK without that msi file...

upload_2023-3-14_15-49-52.png

I tried to point the installer to the path again and it just doesn't like the file. The one I point it to is even higher version than the one requested here. I have version 14.34.31938 and it is asking for v.14.34.31823

upload_2023-3-14_16-2-48.png

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  23. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Just until Glenn replies: I think the VC Runtime issue should be resolved in next release (I notified Glenn regarding the issue recently).

The admin account is built-in super-admin, it is also what is used in sysprep mode, but account "User" is created for the automated install.

vanTorX likes this.
  24. Glenn

Maybe enable UAC might make it behave differently? I noticed a few times that with it switched off it can sometimes not elevate the user in some cases, Visual Studio does integrate pretty deeply within the OS.
    I would think that running the .exe as Administrator should help in most cases like this as the Admin account is built in to all OS's :), if it's a MSI it should self elevate and work. Trouba has indeed mentioned to me that I need to leave the uninstallers in for the runtimes so that they can be removed/updated and will be as such.

I am uploading my new builds to the FTP currently and all going well they will be shared publicly by someone, but I'll make sure to send you the links via PM so you can grab them as you've been through enough pain for one day.

There is no easy solution to these kinds of problems and I wish I'd left the uninstaller entries alone (but they were ugly and made it hard to find uninstallers I thought 99% of people would want to use, who removes runtimes??? well it's obvious now that some installers use the uninstaller locations to verify something is installed or where to update a version).

I am sorry, but I designed LastOS's to be used by home users who don't really want to or don't know how to tweak their own OS's, but for extreme use cases it will cause issues - Development environments, using Domains, Teaching cases (as things may look different or be in different locations). So although I try my best to make things 100% compatible, it's not always a possibility, if everything is a choice then users will have to customize their OS's which is the main difference between a vanilla OS install and a LastOS in the first place. So I hope this explains that we didn't go out of our way to make things harder for users, but if you do use your system for certain use cases, consider sticking with a vanilla OS and using the ssWPI to tweak and install apps to that, it'll be a lot more compatible with Microsofts bugs only and not LastOS bugs.

I don't understand why your not able to install the newer runtimes you need in advance, then the issue your having shouldn't happen as the runtimes will not need to come out of the cached version. Sorry again.

http://www.lastos.org/repo/MS.Visual.Runtimes.AIO_2023.03.02_x64+x86_ssApp.apz

Installing the newer version of MS Runtimes from the above link should put the uninstallers back and be the newest versions Trouba could find.. maybe try that as a fix?

vanTorX likes this.
  25. vanTorX

vanTorX Member

Great suggestion. Thanks for the response, it gives me a valuable insight into the problem.
    TBH I know not to get excited when things don't go smoothly. After all, VS got installed and works and it may well be that the deficiencies or the hidden fault may not affect my fairly limited use of the program. I don't really put VS through paces since I am not really a coder and only work with programs in C# language (I learned to read code and rearrange it to some extent but can't write a single new line of code, not yet anyway).

That said, a problem cropped up on first use of VS, a program which previously did compile now does not. But for all I can tell, its got nothing to do with some problems that might result from the glitch during the install with the runtime. Still one gets suspicious.

I searched for the error on google and it it happened to others several years ago and even lately with VS 2022, probably on win10, so maybe it is not this particular LastOS11 causing it but it is more widespread problem.

One solution offered was to install manually .net 4.71 . I keep records by snipping relevant parts of the discussion I find.
    upload_2023-3-15_13-13-7.png

upload_2023-3-15_13-13-16.png

I tried the 'second way', installing .net 4.71 but running 'repair installation' offered in the VS installer came up with the error again.
    upload_2023-3-15_13-13-52.png
    ==============================================================

Another solution I have tried without success is the following:

upload_2023-3-15_13-25-17.png

upload_2023-3-15_13-25-37.png

upload_2023-3-15_13-26-20.png

The little utility program listed the offending v14 runtime but came back that it couldn't uninstall it. So it may be as Trouba says...

Just checked and the ssWPI apps that came with the Last11 include this version
    upload_2023-3-15_13-39-47.png
    but I don't know if I even installed it. I know I didn't choose the .net6 runtime since I know from previous VS installs that its installer installs it (full SDK version) and so I would presume it installs even any MS Visual runtimes.

I will try this and report on it. Otherwise if all fails, I might get plain vanilla win11 from haxnode.net that installs activated and I believe the TPM disabled etc, and apply Last11 tweaks. If I go this way, which version you recommend, Pro or Enterprise? I am not too knowledgeable of these things, don't even know what this Last11 version is, or is based on.
    upload_2023-3-15_13-56-16.png upload_2023-3-15_14-1-57.png

Attached Files: