Last20 LTSC x64 2020.02

Discussion in 'Last10' started by Glenn, Feb 18, 2020.

?

Did you use this modded OS?

1. Yes, works great, it's a keeper

71.1%
  2. Yes, but I wont continue using it

13.2%
  3. No

15.8%
  4. No, it's too complex to make a USB bootable and to set the thingys to worky

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

It allows (or should) right-click CMD on the folder, which effectively opens CMD in that directory.

The Settings tool is what I think you're talking about. It may not fully serve your purposes; I personally never use that particular function so perhaps Glenn can elucidate.

On this particular build (I'm talking about the Win10 LTSC because I think that's what you use) I have it so that Settings.exe does not run automatically after install. But both ssWPI and Settings.exe can easily be run from the Menu.exe utility in the root of the drive, if desired.

Glenn likes this.
  2. silnwarez

silnwarez New Member

You can upload it here too. We all need it updated version

mortmaru likes this.
  3. Kicky

Kicky New Member

Anyone with a fast connection for seeding ? would love give this one a try and check it out tyvm

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  4. pacav69

pacav69 Live long and prosper Staff Member

have a look at this one here

5. Kicky

Kicky New Member

Will seed also for a bit when its rdy :)
    thanks i got now a fast download too and i will check that one out too Thanks !

6. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

This LTSC is the 1809 version, there is a new version which was released by MS not long ago, the newer version is 21H2 LTSC, not sure if there is a full build here or not, but just a FYI, my Battle.net and Steam would not run on the 1809 version any more, so take that into consideration if you game, other basic apps will prolly work fine unless they have changed those also.

7. pacav69

FYI, my Battle.net and Steam works fine on
    Last11 Pro 22H2

8. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Yes they work as designed in Win 10/11 Home and Pro, and LTSC The thread is for Last20 LTSC x64 2020.02, so I was making reference to the Battle.net and Steam update that would not allow games to run in the 1809 version of LTSC because of the dropping support for older OS's.

It was the version of windows they excluded at that moment when it happened 1809 Build XXXXXX, MS pushing out the latest OS to upgrade to was the issue, So I went to Win 10 Pro for about 6 months and went back to LTSC 21H2 when it was officially released. I do not use Home or Pro version of windows, just LTSC it has less crap as a vanilla install over Home and Pro 10 or 11, but everyone has a OS to go to here for their flavor :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  9. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Maybe entice @Trouba , @Glenn , @bphlpt , @pacav69, and all the other members that would be interested, to get a new LTSC 21H2 build out?

Just a thought, don't shoot me LOL. I be in for testing for sure :p

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
  10. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

11. pacav69

@Ghost could use the builder to create his own customised iso

12. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

That is still the 1809 version as Glenn released that it is public, I seen where @Trouba did a 21H2, but it is not public.

Yes they sure could, but most do not know how, most users will download the finished release and install.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  13. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I was pointing out the issues I had with 1809 LTSC, I forgot @Trouba had did a not public release. If a 21H2 LTSC was released public, it would supersede the 1809 LTSC Glenn released to the public in Feb 2020, Glenn release is 3 1/2 years old. Hope that helps the confusion.

14. Dibrom

Dibrom New Member

I'm wanting to attempt a dual boot setup running both Winborg 7 alongside a version of Windows 10, and this looks like the best candidate to compliment Winborg 7. I've download the ISO which is fine, but I've maybe done something wrong because all the files contained within are named with either Chinese or Japanese script characters which I can't read. Is ths normal or have I done something very, very wrong?

The CRC32, MD5 and SHA1 checksums all match as correct to those published on page 1 of this thread, so I'm stumped why it's all in Chinese/Japanese.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2023
  15. pacav69

I guess that the original creater set up the language as chinese.
    @Dibrom what does Winborg 7 have that Last7 doesn't ? apart from the language

16. Dibrom

Dibrom New Member

To be honest I don't know. I've never tried installing Last7 to compare and contrast the two, but I have Winborg 7 running perfectly on 4 PCs presently and I like it a lot for my purposes, so I see no reason to change. Fortunately I got a copy of it and all the thread documentation about it captured in PDF before the thread on it got trashed and the originator disappeared.

I've got the x86 2015 version, the x64 2017 one, and the last x64 Jan 2021 version as well, though I generally only install the last 2021 version, since it has more patches and updates slipstreamed into it than the earlier copies.

I've made a bootable flash drive with Rufus of the ISO and it comes out with English filenames, no sign of the Chinese ones inside the ISO, so I guess part of the routine changes the filenames. I've never seen anything like that before, but it seems to work, so crisis over. Just makes it very difficult to apply the Aero theme post release fix to the ISO as it requires learning Chinese language first before you can find the right directory to put the replacement file

17. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

What a) program are you using to view the files inside the Last20 ISO? Or did you b) extract the ISO into a folder and then it's showing Chinese characters? If it's a) then it could be the iso program; if it's b) it would be the host OS (WinBorg7?). Otherwise I'm not having a very clear understanding of what is happening there because your screenshot is not something I recognize as any Windows theme I've worked with?

18. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

It is possible the program you used with the .ISO file is set to Chinese language, check that first.

I have seen instants where Chinese file listings happened but it was meant that way so this is defiantly a host OS language change or app that was used to get those different language characters, or a corrupted OS.

EDIT:- I am getting this to help on the seed side when needed.

19. pacav69

@Dibrom I highly recommend using Last 7 or other Last ISO's as they are well documented and supported especially by these forums. The LastOS Team are well experienced in using the products.Suggest downloading an ISO and run it in vmware and there you can see what LastOS has to offer and to estabilish if it is suitable. Doing a serach for winborg there appears to be no longer available or supported by forums.

If you are up for the challenge you could use LastOS builder to create your own customised ISO.

20. Dibrom

Dibrom New Member

I'm using an ISO plug-in reader with Total Commander which allows access to image files just as if they were directories and files in a normal file system structure.
    https://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm

I didn't extract the ISO no, just looked inside it and that's what displays. When I actually write the ISO using Rufus, then the output is normal in English language naming and there is no sign of the Chinese characters when looking into the ISO without actually writing it. I've never seen this before in any other ISO.

Highly unlikely to be either I would suggest as I've been using TC and its plug-in for many years along with Winborg 7 too, and never seen anything like this before in any image type file I've looked at. It is quite simply unique to this one archive ISO.

I don't use any themes as such. That doesn't interest me. My computer 'theme' is just set to 'Windows Classic'. Even though it's Winborg 7, it's looks and feels like XP, so there are no themes being used here. The screenshot is just Total Commander in dark mode using the ISO plug-in to view the raw unwritten contents of the ISO.

I have no Chinese languages installed in Total Commander and alternative languages option doesn't exist within the ISO plug-in. I will check with the Total Commander forum though, how this could be happening.

Thank you very much

I am downloading the Last11 v4 x64 ISO now as that seems the best option for a lightweight Windows 11 version I could run without having to buy a whole new computer to install it on. The Winborg fork author never went past Windows 7 unfortunately. Apparently it was too difficult to rip out all the built-in Microsoft spyware without destroying the functionality of the OS entirely because it is so intricately embedded and weaved into how it works in later W10+ releases. As a result, Winborg died and it looks like this LastOS is the spiritual replacement for OSes post Windows 7.

That said, just because LastOS is the new Winborg post 7, it doesn't mean Winborg 7 is no longer worthwhile. It is still just as good as it always was, just not very easy to get anymore is all because all the links and threads about it have gone. I got it in here originally, in the thread captured below, but that thread has been purged. A chap called soporific appears to have been the original author.

https://tinyurl.com/2xjnn68b

Ghost likes this.
  21. pacav69

@Dibrom From what i read about winborg is that it has some integrated drivers that are not standard win7 so i believe that there is nothing too special as win10+ has some drivers that work on a majority of computers and the drivers that are unique need to be obtained from the computer manufacturer and installed manually. So a standard untouched win7 will work on most computers and if you want to add additional drivers they need to be integrated into a build of the OS which is what the LastOS builder software does or using some deployment tools from MS.

With the LastOS builder developed by Glenn and the LastOS team for win10/11 removes the need to have an internet connection to login and removes the bloatware such as telemetry and unwanted or useless apps. The LastOS ISOs released here are slimmed down versions of the original software from MS.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
  22. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Soporific is a member here, he did learn from me for Windows 8 and had a re look at windows 10, but hasn't been about for a couple of years except to browse. I used to have him on my MSN messenger, then facebook. But I think he moved on from modding after his work on Win 98SE, XP and 7 work as he never enjoyed using the newer OS's himself, so stuck to using older ones. Then I think he switched to using LastOS's for a bit before he went quiet. Hopefully one day he'll come back and tell the full story as he did put in quite a lot of time and feedback as well as listening to our feedback to improve his own mods.

Ghost likes this.
  23. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

LastOS ISO's are UDF or a variant of it, meaning many command line ISO readers wont display the correct content, whilst using ones that do support it will work as expected. The reason being as many ISO formats are capped at 4.7GB and Last OS's are bigger than that.

Ghost likes this.
  24. Dibrom

Dibrom New Member

Thank you, that's useful to know. The ISO reader plug-in is dated from 2013, so understandably is probably not capable of reading ISO's created 10 years later of a size that supercedes the capacity of conventional DVDs (or even HDDs) of the time of creation. I shall take this info over to the Total Commander forum and see if there's an updated later ISO reader solution.

Edit: Solved. A swap to this plug-in for handling ISO has solved the problem completely.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
    Glenn and Ghost like this.
  25. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

@pacav69, during its heyday, @soporific's Winborg 7 was considered a worthy "competitor" to Last7.

@Dibrom, as many will tell you, and I'm sure you know, Win 7 is getting a bit long in the tooth and it is very likely you will have various issues with it, mainly due to either MS's shenanigans as they try to discourage folks from using it, or app providers not being able, or wanting, to provide the necessary hooks to deal with modern hardware and standards, not to mention driver issues. But as you know, since you have it running on several PCs, with enough work it should continue to be useful for a few more years. So as long as it meets your needs...

To continue to use any Win 7 OS installation, you might consider using Simplix to keep it updated. I know for a fact this works for Last7 installations and don't know any reason why it wouldn't also work for Winborg 7 installations as well. It is updated every month and can easily be run to update your installed OS. There are also ways it can be used to update an installation ISO, but I haven't bothered to do that. The tool had some issues for some folks in July, due to MS: See this thread:
    I haven't kept up with the recent developments in SimPlix since I started using a version of Win 10 LTSC as my daily driver, so you'll have to do some reading if you want to use the release from July, August, or later, but I know the June 2023 release is "safe" and it worked fine to update my personal Last7 installation. You can still get that here, but be sure to use the Mirror link from Mega. The Official Host always gets the latest version, regardless what the link is labeled.

Once you have your Winborg 7 or Last 7 installed, there is also nothing to keep you from installing SetupS in either OS. That way you could take advantage of using the same ssApps or ppApps in Winborg 7, Last 7, Last20 LTSC, just be sure the app is compatible with the OS. If you want to use any OS settings apz, be careful that there isn't any interference between Last7 and Winborg 7 settings and methods.

Regarding Total Commander, that is a very capable and well respected file manager, in use since 1993 which continues to be regularly updated today. We wouldn't make a publicly available apz version of it, since it is a shareware app with a 30 day demo, then requiring a 39 Euro fee. But for the enlightenment of others, @Dibrom, it might be useful for you, as an experienced Total Commander user, to start a new thread and list all of the various addons, with links, for Total Commander that you have found useful. You could then, as you get more involved with us here, create your own apz version of the app for your convenience, and others could as well.

We're very glad to see you here and actively involved!

Ghost likes this.