Miscellaneous discussion (SetupS)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Trouba, Jul 6, 2011.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I had assumed that Release Date was the release date of the .apz made by the "Builder/Releaser". If it is actually supposed to be the release date of that version of the "original" app released by the original app creator, such as Piriform for CCleaner and Defraggler, or Implbits for Hash Tab, etc., then yes I also think that perhaps we should rename that label. "Release date by Original App Creator" is too long, isn't it?

2. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

Apz Packaged date
    Created By

3. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Now I'm confused.

I had always assumed we'd get the build date from the TD stamps on either the .app-file itself or the .apz-file.

Perhaps I'll put on hold my plans to have ssEditor sync the Version/Year data with the ReleaseVersion/ReleaseYear data until we get this sorted out and what those meta fields are really supposed to represent. :what:

Glenn likes this.
  4. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Now I'm so confused that I'm not sure how to even express it :D Freezer, maybe you could make a dropdown box that has, "Dinosaur," "Spritely Reptile," and "Hatchling" :ROFLMAO:

Glenn likes this.
  5. The Freezer

Published Date, maybe?

My thinking went something like this. The <Version/Year> field would still be used as one of the filenaming tags and as such only needs to be a general, simplified "text" field. Whereas <ReleaseVersion>/<ReleaseDate> would be the more detailed, standardized "data" fields. I.e., the "text" field could be used to identify and the "data" fields could be used to compare.

For example, with apps we'd do this:
    Title=Firefox​
    Version=v22​
    ReleaseVersion=22.0b6​
    ReleaseDate=2013-06-18​

And with games like so:
    Title=Quake 2​
    Year=c1997​
    ReleaseVersion=3.21​
    ReleaseDate=1997-12-09​

6. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

At least for apps, it seems that the full ReleaseVersion info is often necessary to be used in the Version field to be able to distinguish apps with frequent updates, Firefox comes to mind as an example. But I agreed that the Published Date of the Original App, or Game, can be vastly different than the ReleaseDate of the ssApp/ppApp/ppGame, so both fields could be useful to determine what you want to install. We just need to agreed on the names of the fields and what they mean, then start using them.

7. Trouba

Freezer, in Meta-data Editor it still says "Encoding (MiltiMedia)" in the dropdown.

Glenn likes this.
  8. Trouba

Well, I would manually have edited it if I could, but I couldn't. Do you know why? Because it's miltiple choice :D

9. The Freezer

Makes since because that tag was originally your typo ... :p

Glenn likes this.
  10. Trouba

I do think we need to add some tags to the tag list. For example, 'conversion' (Office), which can both be for converting documents and for units calculators. I'll keep track of what I'm missing and see if there's more (pretty sure there is).

EDIT: btw I've started adding release version and release date via Meta-data Editor, now that I know what they're for. Maybe you could make a little info balloon pop up to describe what it is, or does it not allow you to do that Freezer?

The Freezer likes this.
  11. The Freezer

Done -- added "Conversion (Office)". Feel free to forward me that list of additions whenever you're ready. :)

Done. Plus, the other Meta-data fields now have more descriptive balloon tips. ;)

Glenn, bphlpt, Trouba and 1 other person like this.
  12. Trouba

Very nice (y)
    Will do!

Glenn likes this.
  13. Trouba

I think we need a 'Compare'. However, this could apply to both (Office) and (Disk) categories (apps that can compare files/folders as well as txt files, etc.).

I noticed 'Compile' with new SetupS. Was this just added? The other day I was looking for it and couldn't find it, but forgot to mention it. If not, I just didn't look well enough :)

EDIT: I had thought about adding something like "Hardware Info" or "Hardware Diagnosis" in the (System) category. But there is already a "Diagnose" so perhaps that's enough. Wait... I think "Specification" (System) is meant for this, no?

14. -c0dez3ro-

i dont see why freeze dont set it up like that anyway , just create ur own tags and Categorys leave all of it blank and when anyone makes a ssapp,ppapp or ppgame then they can add there own .

15. -c0dez3ro-

so its more less havin a short list instend of a huge 2 or 3 page list , is what im guessin

16. The Freezer

I believe it is set up like that already -- for both categories and tags. Tho, I've not really tested it. But having drop-down boxes of (pre)selections is very convenient to the user, I think. Plus, it should help minimize some of the errors such as typos. I mean, "Miltimedia", anyone? LOL

:p

Glenn and -c0dez3ro- like this.
  17. Trouba

OK, let me see if I understand you, Glenn:
    but then:
    HUH? :D

But yeah I think we can add tags manually, but I wasn't sure what that will do or won't do.

18. The Freezer

It might help to notice that the tag behavior (of filtering) is just the opposite of category. As one selects more categories, items get added to the list; whereas, with tags they get eliminated from the list.

Trouba and bphlpt like this.
  19. Trouba

Not sure if this actually an issue on Win8.1, but when I install ppApps with several shortcuts (KeepInFolder) only the first shortcut listed gets used. I believe this is because 'Metro friendly' is set. At least, when I right-click the .app file and edit it with ssEditor, the selection box for 'Metro friendly' is marked. But how do I click it off/turn it off? When I unclick it and save the app nothing happens, nor does it seem to be an overall SetupS setting (or at least I couldn't find it in ssCPL or in the config files in the ssTek folder). So when, for example, I install AIMP3 only the AIMP Player shortcut gets installed. Even if I install Classic Shell menu, only the first shortcut shows up. So how do I get all the shortcuts to install, or how do I override the Metro friendly thing (if that is even the issue) because really that only comes in handy with ssApps, not ppApps where the shortcuts have been added purposely.

20. The Freezer

Good catch, Trouba. "Metro-friendly" looks to be largely undocumented; probably because it was the most recent feature added and had gotten overlooked. The default disable flag Glenn mentions -- simply, "NotMetroFriendly" -- is listed in the specification but ssEditor is probably not writing it to the file is all.

I've found another bug with ssEditor involving changes it makes to the external script/registry files but not showing those changes in the built-in edit-boxes.

Glenn, you also made mention of a possible bug or issue with SetupS... something to do with affecting the "cosmos", I think? ;)

21. Trouba

Glenn's a much more universal bug then :D

Thanks bunches, Freezer. BTW, my mention of Classic Shell was not about the actual CS shortcuts, but rather using the CS start menu instead of the Start/Apps screen in Win8.1.

EDIT: But actually, it does also apply to the CS shortcuts because only the Classic Shell help file is showing up as a shortcut I just noticed :)

EDIT2: You're correct, adding "NotMetroFriendly" to the flags makes create a shortcut folder with multiple shortcuts in it now.

22. Trouba

I just updated all my pp/ssApps (well, ones already converted to v13 .ini format) that have the KeepInFolder flag to also have the "NotMetroFriendly" flag and tested them and all went fine for Win8.x installs. So future updates of the apps will include that flag for such apps.

23. The Freezer

Yep. And as has been discussed before, Metro & the Startmenu are pretty much incompatible with each other. Unfortunately, it's apparent that Microsoft has no intention of returning the Startmenu even by popular demand -- the new Start-button for the 8.1 Desktop merely invokes Metro rather than the Startmenu -- and that means the Startmenu is no longer even an option. This forces keyboard/mouse users who would naturally lean towards a Desktop interface with a Startmenu to go searching for Startmenu addons/mods. Mobile device users are likely to stick with Metro. Therefore, we have to cater to the "lowest common denominator" with the Metro-friendly option. :cautious:

Anyway, here's the latest changes done with v13.11.5...
    Code:
    FIX: ssEditor was not saving changes to the "Metro-friendly" shortcut flag.
    FIX: A minor bug with ssEditor and certain changes it makes to the external script/registry
        files but not showing those changes in the built-in edit-boxes.
    CHANGE: ssEditor's View "Source in Notepad" now saves any edits done there.
    Also, added to the help-file for Shortcut Options:

Trouba likes this.
  24. Trouba

I'm not sure if this could be solved by SetupS or if it needs a 'manual' workaround. As you guys probably know, when trying to run certain apps on Windows 8.x (especially ppApps) you might get permission issues resulting in failure of an app to launch. An example is Photoshop: when you don't give explicit admin rights to the .exe the program won't run and produces an error message. I found a way to get the Photoshop ppApp to run on Win8.x by means of regging the .exe to always run in Admin mode. This is what I had to do for that:
    Code:
    ;Enables Photoshop to run as an Administrator (Photoshop won't run in Win8.x otherwise due to permission issues)

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "%ppApps%\\Adobe.Photoshop.CS6.Ext.Lite.x64\\Photoshop.exe"="~ RUNASADMIN"
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "%ppApps%\\Adobe.Photoshop.CS6.Ext.Lite.x64\\Photoshop.exe"="~ RUNASADMIN" 
    On Win7 and below this doesn't seem to be an issue so I was thinking of a way to only have this reg tweak apply when the ppApp gets installed on Win8.x. We have NT6 directives but those cover Vista to Win8.1 so I was hoping it would be possible to have a directive that would filter for Win8.x only.

The annoying thing is that if you do give the .exe admin privileges, you will see a security shield icon overlay over any shortcut you might make of the .exe. The other thing is that you really only have to run the .exe with admin privileges once; after that you can change it not to run as admin and it will work thereafter. That would take care of the shield icon overlay but I don't see a way to automate all that.

Anyway, I was thinking it might be useful to have such a Win8.x-only directive because the LastOS-Tweaks ssApp now uses a special .exe containing Win8.x reg tweaks that is only run if the OS is Win8.x. This is fine but because the reg tweaks aren't in the ssApp.reg we couldn't use any SetupS-specific variables (which might come in handy in certain apps if not that one). If we had a Win8.x directive we could filter out/in certain entries depending on the OS an app is being installed on. I don't know if it's even possible but I think it would be since Glenn added an OS version check to LastOS-Tweaks that goes like this:
    Code:
    @echo off
    SET OSVersion=Unknown

VER | FINDSTR /L "6.2" > NUL
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 SET OSVersion=Win8

VER | FINDSTR /L "6.3" > NUL
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 SET OSVersion=Win8

ECHO.
    IF %OSVersion%==Unknown (
    ECHO Not Windows 8+ Version.
    ) ELSE (
    ECHO You appear to be using Windows %OSVersion%
    "%~dp0Win8Tweaks.exe"
    )
    rem pause
    Anyway, if it doesn't make sense to add this to SetupS I may look into using that script with the apps that have this permission problem on Win8 or something. Glenn, did you ever find a better way to deal with this privilege issue?

25. Trouba

Thanks. Yeah I know we can't get around Win8's tighter security, but I was hoping there was some workaround for the fact you'd have to run a program in admin mode first to make it work normally afterwards (like a reg capture or whatever). Interesting solution you have there but it probably won't work too well if you're serially installing apps via SetupS, what do you think?

I like those directives that would let us apply/filter per OS. If those could be implemented I think it would probably be best for me to filter those reg tweaks with such a 'greater-than-6.1' directive and then just manually undo the admin mode after running the app once. The main thing is to prevent the app from not working, after all. I didn't really expect there would be a way to apply and unapply admin mode without actually running the app (I had a feeling that was a fantasy on my part) :D

EDIT: BTW, I revised and uploaded the Pinball ppGame (XP game ported to Win7; also works on Win8.x) and updated Shooting Blocks to v2.7 so those are in the Games repo now.