OS Building and Posting for download

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by 00Proteus00, Jan 15, 2020.

1. 00Proteus00

00Proteus00 Active Member

1st off, absolutely amazing install process with your OS's. Totally floored me. I've been building Windows OS's since Win7 and have never seen anything like it. Learning curve must be a "mutha".

2nd, I do have some skills, and have about 50 current versions/builds of Windows 10 ranging from 1607ltsb all the way thru 1909pro. I would have to redo a few things since they are all custom made for the forum Im currently in (TeamOS).

3rd, if I wanted to share some of these, if they were even considerable here, where and how would I go about it. I checked the FAQ's and couldnt really determine the answers. Or is everything required to be in your format ( PE install process) to be available here.

Im currently seeding 5 or your releases (2 winXP, 1 win10, 1 win7, 1 winV)

I look forward to working with you and possibly updating my skills and learning how to build with this format.
    My programming skills are defunct (RPG1,2,3,4, COBOL, GWBASIC, BASIC). Yeah, college 1983-84 for a 2yr associates in Computer Science and everything I learned is extinct!!

Once again, amazing work!

Al (Proteus)

bphlpt and Glenn like this.
  2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

We share as open torrents. I was banned from TeamOS because I refused to limit my release to only their tracker as they blocked DHT and all other trackers from being included in shares, on the false belief that it allows them to seed and shows you the actual seed count. ANYWAY, your welcomed to post a release with a magnet link in a code box or a zipped torrent attachment, then I can review where your at modding wise and tell you more about our methods... I feel this would be the quickest way to let me help out ;)

I used to share all my builder tools and scripts, now I only share methods and documentation as we switched from using NTLite to Syspreping from VirtualBox and only used NTLite for a slight clean up.. Troba is the professional at that tho (managing to keep almost everything at a 780mb+ space saving over my efforts and his updated seem to stick, unlike my own efforts... I may have to ask him to perform a screen capture of his while process one day (especially if he ever decided to get out of the updating game as it's an invaluable skill he has).

SetupS and ssWPI are the backbone of LastOS tools now, as well as the Settings App, these are available as source code, AutoIt for SetupS and Xojo 2014 for ssWPI (this was the last version that kept runtimes inside the .exe and only the used components/api's).

I hope this answers a few questions, I'll help you out more, I live in Tasmania, Australia so I am usually in bed when USA is online - except early morning.

3. 00Proteus00

If outside links ar NOT allowed, please let me know, otherwise, here is a link to view one of my VIP releases. Review it and let me know what you think.

I also use just sysprep for preparing and making the OS then use Winreducer to add in the custom Setup Screens. I havent used nTlite much at all. Rt7 was my goto for Win7, but finally figured out how to use the sysprep and avoid the MediaPlayer bug.
    I make all my OS's in VirtualBox, then use DISM to capture the sysprepped image, then I assemble the OS on the PC outside of Virtualbox.

Infinium Ten
    https://www.teamos-hkrg.com/index.php?threads/windows-10-pro-x64-1903-infinium-ten.81592/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Trouba likes this.
  4. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Outside links are fine, but it would be nice to have a way to view the info about your release without disabling my ad blocker, which I don't plan on doing. :)

5. Glenn

Infinium Ten

About

A TeamOS joint venture by: @00Proteus00 & @TheMacGyver
    Windows 10 Professional 19h1 1903 x64 18362.116
    Updated to 18362.239
    All MS Windows Updates thru July 20, 2019
    All MS Office Updates thru July 20, 2019

Size: 8.92gb

Removed
    Nothing

Disabled
    Nothing

Added
    Code:
    7Zip 1805 x64
    ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 11.2.1309
    Adobe Acrobat Reader v2018.011.20055
    Ashampoo Driver Updater 1.2.1.53382
    Ashampoo Winoptimizer 15.00.05
    Blade Custom Cursors
    Chrome Browser
    DirectX 9 Updates
    Firefox Browser
    Internet Download Manager 6.31.3
    IOBit Uninstaller 7.5.0.7
    Lightshot 5.4.0.1
    Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Plus (Pre-Activated)
    MPC-HC 1.7.17
    Nexus Ultimate 18.12.1133
    Notepad++ 7.7
    Process Hacker 2.39
    Pry Light Custom Icons
    Psiphon 3 VPN
    Rainmeter 4.3
    Ribbon Disabler 4.0
    Right Click Enhancer Pro 4.5.3.0
    Rufus 3.5
    Smart Defrag 6
    Start10 1.7
    Ultra ISO 9.7.1.3519
    UltraUXtheme Patcher 3.6.1
    Utorrent 2.2.1
    VBC Redist AIO
    VirtualBox 6.0.8
    VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.0.8
    Windowblinds 10.74
    WPD (Windows Privacy Dashboard)
    Xwidget 1.9.23.1121

Note: Included (on desktop) are your choice of activation scripts to use in case it doesnt activate for you.
    ng0IU.png ng2j9.png ng8Em.png ngAHt.png ngcMh.png ngdje.png ngGOn.png nggRD.png nghPA.png ngixW.png ngKO8.png ngMmq.png ngOLJ.png ngoxg.png ngTfR.png nguG5.png ngYSQ.png ngzfd.png nugRs.png

bphlpt likes this.
  6. Glenn

Sorry the images are out of order, I saved the teamos page and re-uploaded the images.

Thank you for sharing your work, I will play around with it in the next couple of days and let you have my feedback, it's been many years since I looked at other peoples work, so don't take it too personally, I expect certain things included with our LastOS's after having them since LastXP days all the way to now. I'll probably just let you know of bugs and what I would add personally (from our collection), I rarely leave praise and lists of the good feedback as I am always striving to make things better (so like i said, don't take it personally or think your work hasn't impressed me ;) but I see no point in listing the good stuff... Hope you understand)

00Proteus00 and bphlpt like this.
  7. 00Proteus00

Rule #1, there is ALWAYS room for improvement. Rule #2, If you think its perfect, see rule #1

I have thick skin so criticism wont offend me in the least. Im not a coder/programmer, and pretty much taught myself how to do the modding I did. Most of my modding is superficial and easy to get to stuff to appease those who just want "eye candy". I can make a decent OS with a decent install but cant compare to what Ive seen on your end (lastos). Hell, I dont even know how to make scripts lol. I was a A+ certified tech back in the Win95/98 days, and have been repairing PC's since 1993.

Also, to post the pics, do you use BB Codes? and if so are they the Full BB Codes like Im used to? I have a Gifyu account I use as well as a Lookimg account for posting on the other site.

8. Glenn

You use [ img ] URL Here [ / img ] (* without spaces)

Or press the button next to smilies at top of quick or advance reply on xenforo, you can also insert media with the video button (direct link to youtube for example will embed the video). you can also use bbcode editor (far right button) or scrub the formatting etc using the eraser. xenforo is good.

00Proteus00 likes this.
  9. Glenn

I have completed testing this release:

Bugs/Issues:
    1.ACDSee Photo Studio 2018, needs admin access (Run As Administrator) to use default set Database (The fix would be to remove the default Database). This app was also updated at the time of release so might be a non issue if you have since upgraded... I would recommend a much smaller photo organizer/viewer than this - Like Irfanview or XNView etc
    2.Window Titles in Explorer have a weird font and are too big to fit (unreadable) the Default theme needs to be updated/fixed.
    3.At First Logon a xWidget Gallery opens, this should be removed and instead be a link from the start menu (Or by right clicking in the system tray icon that is already there).
    4.The quality of Pictures\10.jpg is only 300x168 resolution.
    5.The Window Blinds theme keeps on crashing and redrawing the screen from time to time - especially browsing for a folder/file. but sometimes just switching between windows.

----------

Missing Features (My Own LastOS preferences):
    1.Automate the installation questions so it boots straight to desktop, make it defaults to Central US, US Keyboard and a default Local User. (Unattend.xml or AutoUnattend.xml)
    This takes the work out of installing a OS and we at LastOS use a tool "Settings.exe" which runs at the end of installation allowing you to change the keyboard, language, timezone etc.. having these options at the end of the installation makes so much more sense that having the installation wait until the user does these steps IMO.
    2.Add Default User "user" with "password" password.
    3.Pre Activated with KMSPico (If it fails then you can choose another method).
    Remove the "This Copy of windows is not Genuine", why would you want to let users know this every install, instead of once on the download, people who are going to rip off users will do so one way or another, having it say this is annoying at best.
    4.Make included apps optional via WPI/ssWPI (Keep your runtimes and recommended apps still).
    Many of your included apps I have alternative preferences for and if one of the apps get updated then it no longer registered anyway, it would make more sense to use a Apps Post Installer to offer users these choices.
    5.KLMCodeC or similar not included (this is a recommended app I myself include).
    6.Include a Dark theme as at least as option (if not the default) :p
    7.Sorting start menu items/folders, removing unwanted folders/links and uninstallers (these can be remove with uninstaller apps anyway).
    8.Many items in your context menu do not have icons, these can easily be set using the registry.
    -------------

Steps Recorder is a good piece of software, thanks for having it in your context menu so I could find it.
    psiphon3 is also a good bit of software (I did have to run it as Administrator for it to connect for me tho - may or may not have been a glitch).
    ------------

Well that was one impressive test, I am not used to polished OS's like this one, the only bug thats worth mentioning was Window Blinds - and I expect that runs nicer on real hardware over VirtualBox. I can see why people like this mod, although it's not a lite build, quite heavy with office and many docks, clocks and theme changes. What sucks the most about older releases having the Apps integrated is that they will become out dated too quickly, I mean if you never included VirtualBox in your actual OS and instead used a post installer that your users could even update the version on their USB so any fresh installs they do with it will have the latest ones already. None of this is required, it works fine as it is, hope it gives you something to think about tho.
    I would like to know how you got your icons integrated and if they are lost after a Microsoft update or if you guys have found a way to make them stick (finally), Win 10's Cumulative Update method wipes out any .dll and .exe mods we do, so if you have found a way to change all folder icons without modding imageres.dll then I'd like to know that please :)

Trouba likes this.
  10. 00Proteus00

I appreciate the feedback. Lots of GOOD info n there. Only the VIP releases are loaded to the max with pre-installed programs, my regular releases usually only have the basics (ie: DX9 updates, VisualBasic Runtimes, .NET runtimes, UXThemepatcher, Ribbon disabler, and a few more). Windowblinds is HORRIBLE in a VM!!!! I run into the same issue sometimes when building OS's that have it. It works 100% on about 99% of the regular hardware out there with no issues at all once installed on real hardware. As far as the icons are concerned, I use "ipacks", it alters the imageres and about 8 more when installing, and makes a backup so if you uninstall (via control panel/uninstall) it puts the default icons back in. I can do a cumulative update and STILL have my custom icons. Works on Win7/8/8.1/10. Here is a link to the ipacks I have, all work 100% with no issues.

https://mega.nz/#!39M1DCCI!nRKTTJN9PlctgOdJ2PVOeT9LTz-9OPLhqI6krG6ZIzo

Unzip, go to themes, and choose ipack. Doubleclick and profit :)

Trouba, bphlpt and Glenn like this.
  11. 00Proteus00

[​IMG]

Preview of Icons

bphlpt likes this.
  12. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

With our Repo, and/or the use of an Apps disc, we've been spoiled with not needing to have releases "loaded to the max with pre-installed programs", making them smaller and quicker to download, upload, install, etc.

Love the idea of the ipack. is there a description available of what all is included in the various packs, or at least what is included in one of the packs as an example?

00Proteus00 likes this.
  13. 00Proteus00

The only thing I got was the image (above) of the included ipacks with the basic view of what the ipack icons look like. However, it only takes about 10min to install each pack, and roughly 2 min to uninstall it, so what I did, was install each one individually and test, then uninstall and go to the next one. Pry Light is prolly my favorite.

Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  14. Glenn

Thanks, I'll take a good look at the ipack v2.2 builder, I would think between myself and Trouba, we'll have a nice Dark icon theme that will suit our dark preferences without looking cartoonish or neon... Many themes are over the top IMO and if you actually try and use them you can not identify what file type they are etc. It's very hard to replace default resources when they are already so recognizable.

I've not looked yet, but wouldn't they self uninstall other themes??? in which case I could easily list all Icon themes with previews within ssWPI and then you pick your preference or try them all out one at a time (My guess is a reboot would be required for some files to be replaced), anyway I have something to mess about with when I can get some time to concentrate on it. I like how this could be re applied without having to manually do stuff after a MS update too.

Trouba likes this.
  15. 00Proteus00

Here is what I "Normally" build. 1809 is still one of my favorite releases. This one has your dark theme throughout and only 7zip and winoptimizer added as programs.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS5 1809 Black Glass

About
    Made from Windows Pro x64 RS5 1809 updated to Version 17763.615
    All updates thru August 1, 2019
    Size 4.49gb

Removed
    Nothing

Disabled
    Nothing

Added
    UltraUX Theme Patcher
    Ribbon Disabler 4
    7-Zip 1805 x64
    Ashampoo WinOptimizer 15.00.05
    DirectX 9 updates (for older games and apps)
    Google Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100
    Pry Light Custom Icon Pack
    MS Visual C++ AIO
    Right Click Enhancer Pro 4.5.3.0
    StartisBack++ AIO
    System Transparency 1.3.2.2
    14 Custom Wallpapers
    WPD (Windows Privacy Dashboard)

Note: Activation Scripts Included (on desktop) to use in case it doesnt activate for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Download Link - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RK1UQbOXStzr_8Va8wvW-tYrLA8tjX0d

16. 00Proteus00

Should I make a new thread for OS's instead of adding them under the "Discussion" forum?

17. Glenn

If you want to move anything about ore remove stuff we can take care of it, but as it's more a discussion than a full showcase it is relevant here... once you master LastOS tools and use them in your build, then it will be a showcase.. one I'd love to see, no two people have the same ideas, so by you including the concepts in your own way, it may just boost the development adding new features you require or fixing the bugs you find. So in other words, it's up to you but I have hope you'll stick around long enough to engage with building up OS modding to be better for everyone (which is the only goal I set for advance/team members here). I am not saying our ways are better, they are different, but as they are all optional, it makes the end results vary enough to keep it interesting as we all focus on different areas of modding.

I'll grab your dark themed OS, it looks more my style, not sure if you want me to give feedback for your older release, you've probably found bugs and issues yourself, let me know if you do.

If you get a chance to look at LastOS's or it's tools, please leave your thoughts in the relevant threads. There is quite a lot to dissect out of them. Try the context menu items and some of the extras in ssWPI are unique to LastOS too.

18. 00Proteus00

I just built a custom OS using your wrapper(s) and just putting my install.esd in there, but obviously it failed miserably. If I built the OS from scratch and then just inserted the WIM/ESD into your SOURCES folder, Im thinking it would work for me once I incorporated all the (above mentioned) steps you suggested I use. I need to DUMP my unnatend.xml for one thing, and then make a USER/PASSWORD account and leave it in there instead of sysprepping to OOBE.

I realize I should grasp how things work first, but Im a tinkerer and love experimenting with the new ideas that pop into my noggin. It will take me a while to grasp how you actually do things in the builds, but once grasped, its there forever.

19. 00Proteus00

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  20. Glenn

The Install.wim/.esd should actually work fine if the
    X:\sources\ei.cfg
    X:\AutoUnattend.xml

have the correct Edition of Windows and the correct default Key included in it. Nothing else should need to be done. Most of the work is done in boot.wim (LivePE) and the rest is taken care of by $OEM$\ and X:\AutoUnattend.xml - This runs all the post install scripts/changes and I also made our scripts scan through the folders running any .exe's it find in order (that is why they are numbered) found in X:\sources\$FirstLogonApps and $PostLogonApps and reg tweaks can be added to the folder $RegTweaks... So you can easily modify things once you get your base working with the install.wim you prefer ;), share a screenshot of it failing if your still having troubles getting it to work, we'll figure it out.

21. 00Proteus00

It went all the way thru the install fine from the PE, when it got to the login screen "Home User" enter password, I entered "password" and it just kept looping back to the login screen. However, I used Win10 1809 Pro .ESD instead of Win10 1809 LTSC .ESD

I didnt change the 2 above mentioned files tho, will try that next.

22. Glenn

It is usually a conflict of version .exe .dll inside the $OEM$ folder OR trying to use the wrong patched UXTheme patcher or pre patched files, this is the main reason you get logon loops... check the files your copying over and what files I included in my own $OEM$ and $FirstLogon folders as I think my Last10's have UXThemePatcher or the .dll's included so my default theme worked. I know it causes boot loops, black screen of death and failed logons as it's the very thing that caused me so many problems when I first switched to Windows 10 modding.

You shouldn't have to adjust too much in the AutoUnattend.xml and if you got to the first logon screen then the ei.cfg is also correct (leave it alone). so it will be a replaced file (wrong version) problem.

23. Glenn

I prefer the dark glass OS, especially once I set Transparency to 230 instead of 180-ish it was MUCH more usable. I personally would use the Blue Theme instead of the current cyan (aqua) one as it doesn't match the default wallpapers blues.

Your default App setting in personalize was still set to Light, I changed it to Dark (as I prefer).

I really wish the theme was able to use a black background and light gray text for the Windows Titles as it looks out of place with the white and black text :(
    System Properties Quick Links section is also plagued by the White/Gray with White Text issue some dark themes leave.

I remember why I don't use system sound now :D would be fine if I worked in one or two windows like many users, but I currently have over 8 outside my VM and those max/min noises drive you mad.

Smart Renamer isn't as smart as it thinks, I prefer to use "Advanced Renamer" it allows you to undo (if you make a mistake) it also has so much more power... it's not free, but the only limitation is a nag box the first run after a system reboot, that's it.

The start menu (start is back) is fine, but the theme need to change "CORE SYSTEMS" to "All Programs", I can only imagine trying to talk a end user through navigating the start menu if they had that installed (much to the detriment of help desks everywhere).

Can't complain with the rest :p Good work.

00Proteus00 likes this.
  24. 00Proteus00

Lmao, ok, Ive been struggling with Win10PXE and building WinPE iso's for 12 hours, and no luck. What program do you use to make your WinPE with?

25. Glenn

Win10PE_SE
    http://theoven.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=75d4fd4b1370c58e8b5887c6edf7e10a&topic=2594.0
    Downloads:
    http://win10se.cwcodes.net/Compressed/

My Mod:
    https://team.lastos.org/glenns/Win10PESE_2019-02-05.7z

The above "older" LivePE has the included ssTek folder with support of SetupS and x:\ppAppsLive\ included apps within the LivePE.

I really need to build a Newer LivePE, but they dropped support for my xojo compiled apps from working, meaning you can't use ssWPI from the LivePE to pre-select your apps before installing the OS, I haven't built a LivePE for a while now, but pleanty of information about winbuilder about and the Win10PE_SE is the most complete PE (slightly large for some, but memory is cheap now days anyway).

00Proteus00 likes this.