OS Building and Posting for download

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by 00Proteus00, Jan 15, 2020.

1. 00Proteus00

00Proteus00 Active Member

I "just" found the Win10PE-SE and just finished a build with it. It bombed. Im gonna keep plugging away at it. Work monday morning 4am so I still got time :)

Grabbing yours tho, and thanks :)

2. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Also make sure your using an original released Windows 10 OS, you CAN NOT use a modded or updated Windows 10 as a Source disk for building your LivePE's. This will cause it to fail every time. So not even an DISM updated OS can be used, just an original OS release... Winbuilder says which to use as a source for best results, I used a RS3 last build I did (for a RS4 install.wim image) as it was what the creators of Win10PE_SE used themselves.

3. 00Proteus00

sigh...... started at 6am this morning, it is now 11:24pm...... I have been using the Black Glass ISO for the build ALL day long. We learn from our mistakes. Calling it a day, 18hrs is enough, but shows dedication to learning something lol

4. Glenn

Glad I found the problem without being there tho - takes me mulling over it in my mind in the background to be able to preemptively figure out the problem your having without seeing what your doing :D

5. 00Proteus00

I figured out a way around it, and yes, you CAN use a custom ISO to build, or at least by doing it this way.

1 - Take any ISO and open it up to a folder
    2 - Convert .ESD to .WIM (.WIM because WinPE-SE whines about using the .ESD) (move the .ESD to a safe place for later use)
    3 - Package it back up as a bootable ISO (I use UltraISO and an extracted WIN10.BIF)
    4 - Use that ISO to build the PE
    5 - When finished building the PE, Open it up and extract the BOOT.WIM
    6 - Open ISO folder (step #1 in this list) and replace INSTALL.WIM with your saved INSTALL.ESD
    7 - Delete BOOT.WIM and replace it with the extracted BOOT.WIM from the PE
    8 - Re-package it as a bootable ISO and you now have a fully loaded bootable PE with a Windows (of choice) install.

I can re-use the BOOT.WIM in any future builds as well. The only thing I havent figured out how to do yet is make a SETUP.EXE shortcut on the desktop. My way requires 3 mouse moves. Double click My computer, Double click CD Drive (where it puts the windows install in the PE), then Double click SETUP.exe.

The ONLY thing that fails is UXThemepatcher when building the PE (if its in your custom ISO you used to make the PE), it says it cant load the .DLL file and any themes requiring it wont function properly in the PE if using custom themes.

I used Win10XPE instead of Win10PE-SE.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Trouba likes this.
  6. 00Proteus00

Heres my result images, and this installs Win10 Pro 1809 Black Glass (my custom build)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

I am not an expert at building a PE, I think I've only done it 2 or 3 times a long time ago with Glenn talking me through it and never with Win10, so I was very interested in reading the steps you used above. But unless I'm reading things wrong, the only thing you had to change from the Black Glass ISO in order to use it in your WinPE ( BG-PE? ) was BOOT.WIM? That's probably not right, but here's my interpretation of your steps that led to that conclusion:
    1. Expand BG.ISO to a BG folder
    2. Convert BG.ESD to BG.WIM and save BG.ESD for later use
    3. Using UltraISO and an extracted WIN10.BIF [ from where? ], package BG folder, with BG.WIM, back up as a bootable NewBG.ISO
    4. Using NewBG.ISO and Win10XPE, build the PE
    5. Extract BOOT.WIM from the PE
    6. Using BG folder, replace the BG.WIM with the BG.ESD you saved in step (2), essentially putting things back to the way they were when you first expanded the BG.ISO
    7. Delete BOOT.WIM from the BG folder, replacing it with the BOOT.WIM you removed from the PE. This is the only difference compared to the BG folder in step (1).
    8. And... now my lack of experience building a PE and my poor memory shows itself.
    You now have a PE built from your BG.ISO with BG.WIM replacing BG.ESD, and a BG folder with a new BOOT.WIM from that PE. When you "Re-package it as a bootable ISO" what goes where exactly? And, as a related question, what were you doing differently yesterday so that it didn't work? Is it all down to requiring the replacement of the BOOT.WIM? Sorry for being a total noob. :)

8. 00Proteus00

1st off, Im probably doing this totally wrong for LastOS standards, but its a learning curve for me and this is where I've gotten to.

Yessir, I only replaced the BOOT.WIM in the black glass \sources folder with the BOOT.WIM from the PE build.

As far as the Win10.BIF (boot image file), I use UltraISO and extract it from a loaded CDROM or USB. I save the file as Win10.BIF (as well as my Win7.BIF for win7 builds) then when I have to create a bootable ISO I just use the correct BIF for the OS

As far as yesterday, I tried copying the entire \sources folder to the PE ISO, and I kept failing miserably. I happened across a post on the net about just replacing the BOOT.WIM in the OS install and I succeeded in 10 minutes this morning.

9. unitop4

unitop4 GUINEA PIG TESTER

10. bphlpt

I got the same result you did "Not Acceptable" a minute ago, but it's working right now, so try again and let us know if you are still having problems.

11. unitop4

STILL HAVING PROBLEMS...

12. 00Proteus00

Just use the 2nd link... I had the same problem

Or, just use this link: http://theoven.org/index.php

unitop4 likes this.
  13. bphlpt

I don't know what to say, I'm on that site right now. Did you you do the standard - try another browser, reboot, clear your cache, start your browser with no extensions, any chance your HOSTS, AV, or firewall is blocking you?

14. 00Proteus00

I got on fine once I removed this "?PHPSESSID=75d4fd4b1370c58e8b5887c6edf7e10a&topic=2594.0" from the link

15. unitop4

I changed to chromium and that worked fine. Must be my ad blocker ublock origin or something of that sort

16. Glenn

Sorry I just copied and pasted from the browser bar... I should have copied from the "Copy Link" and got: http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=2594.0 It is strange that they generate a secure link every time you click it tho, I guess it's one way to track where people are going on your site tho.

-EDIT-

I am planning to run a build of Win10XPE and seeing how I go adding LastOS's ssTek and Desktop shortcuts... I'll need to see what's different between them tho, doesn't seem to be much, other than Size (it being much smaller)

Trouba and unitop4 like this.
  17. Glenn

Well that went very well, the WinRE based PE allows ssWPI to run again (although my ssWPI will need updating to detect it as it installs apps within the PE instead currently).

It also has a heap of new great apps in it that I'll have to make into ppApps for our repository.

I'll start a fresh project off over the next few weeks and update our tools to support WinRE better.

GotIT.png

unitop4, bphlpt and 00Proteus00 like this.
  18. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

How large is the PE? The 1909 x64 boot.wim is over 500mb, making me think about a LivePE again.

19. Glenn

It's hard to say as I haven't optimized my build of it yet but the one I tested with is 1048mb uncompressed, I'll quickly do a max compressed one like usual and see, be back in 30 mins or so.

-EDIT-

I have 3 Partition tools in it and other stuff not needed but compressed only got it down to 940mb

Looking like Win10PE_SE is a smaller result anyway.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. 00Proteus00

Quick question. Is the ssWPI program open source, and would there be a problem with me including it in one of my builds and having it for download on other sites? Lmao, Im worried about offending an author of a program and yet I paste copies of (cough cough) less than legitimate copies of Win all over the world.

21. Glenn

Info:
    http://forum.lastos.org/index.php?threads/releases.1852/#post-19643

Download:
    http://tools.lastos.org/ssWPI/list.php?dir=&sort=date&order=desc

Sorry I haven't built a clean Games Launcher or ssWPI, to do this yourself, grab the X:\sources\$ssWPI folder off a Last10 OS and update the ssWPI.exe and "ssWPI Libs" folder with the new ones inside the 7z I linked to.

Your welcomed to do whatever you wish with ssWPI or any of the tools here, they will always remain open sourced and free for everyone to use however they can/want. No credits due, just keep sharing your work/improvements etc, so everyone's OS mods will improve too :)

I'll spend a little time later making the new clean packs, but if you already have a Last10 then it'll be easy for you to clone it to your mod folder for a test ;)

00Proteus00 likes this.
  22. 00Proteus00

I have the LastOS 1908ltsc and was going to use that version in an upcoming PE release, but like I said, going back to the days of using ANSI for my BBS (Mythology 1994-2019) , I never used an ANSI without permission from the author. Kinda a respect thing.

23. 00Proteus00

Played with the ssWPI program and learned how to import new items (from repository). I commend you on the time spent on intricate detail on each item and its description (whoever is responsible). I will definitely include this in my next build and probably all future builds. The amount of time it will save me installing programs in sysprep will be immense and cut down on my build times by at LEAST an hour or two. Basically all I have to do now is build, add some themes and eye candy (rainmeter etc...) and then finish up. You guys are top notch with this approach. Thanks in advance from my wife who will get the xtra hours saved, as well as the users who will choose WHAT they want instead of accept WHAT I give :)

Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  24. Glenn

BTW @Trouba

XPE - 684MB
    PE_SE - 872MB

So the XPE is smaller and faster than older PE's, although you may have to run PENetwork and press apply for the internet to work with it as it seems to stay disconnected (in my VM testing), unlike the PE_SE which works every time. I think it's a timing issue on startup.

Trouba likes this.
  25. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

YUM :) If you get a chance to upload the boot structure (boot, efi, sources folder) in mean time, feel free :) I'd like to test it with other OSs