Win 7 High Compression

Discussion in 'Other Tools' started by -c0dez3ro-, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Are you trying to gently tell c0de to open another thread? :)

2. -c0dez3ro-

-c0dez3ro- Moderator Staff Member

Well trouba the info u gave me didnt fix my problem, how ever i did take the already updated install.wim and added it to the win7.iso and im going to just do a new VM Build. atleast this time i will already have it updated and i can add that little trick you gave me ... just to be clear i need to add the .bat file inside the VM install correct?

3. -c0dez3ro-

haha i think so , i believe he was yelling at me but in a nice way .:ROFLMAO::lol::eek:

4. Trouba

Yes, you add the delwpa.bat on the root of the VM's C:\ drive. Then you run that .bat file outside the OS by loading into the install-iso's (or any Win7 iso that you mount in that VM) Repair function, where you chose command prompt to run it as: D:\delwpa.bat. It will let you know if it completed successfully. Then you reboot into the VM's installed OS again, manually install the respective Win7 key via command prompt.

By the way, when you run a VM and want to access certain files or drives, you would normally have to install Guest Additions. If you don't want to do this, you can put all the files you need to use in an .iso file, which you can then mount from withing the VM, which will allow you to access the files you need without having to install Guest Additions.

:D

5. -c0dez3ro-

thats how ive been doing my updates such as java, flash and so on.. ill add the install files to Glenns clean.iso file and mount it into the vm

6. Trouba

OK. Check out this vid (it's 7z'd). I did the re-arm process for you as a video and rebooted and installed the Win7 key.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  7. -c0dez3ro-

does this mean it doesnt need to be re-armed yet or its really broken?
    AwakenOS10VM.png

8. -c0dez3ro-

Will you point me in the right direction to where u find all the system updates such as
    ms.net.framework
    directx
    ms.visual runtimes....and so on

9. Trouba

So did you save the .bat file I put in code tags as "delwpa.bat" and save it to C:\ inside the VM?

Yes, they are in the App Repo :p

Also, most of the web links to the source installers are in the URL sections of the .app files.

10. -c0dez3ro-

yes i saved it as delwpa.bat and placed it in c drive of the vm ...

and i meant where u get the .msi and .exe files to update each one , not the ssapp lol ...

edit: OMG i just tried to run sysprep and i got the same error again. this VM build hasnt even had sysprep ran on it ... i dunno what im doing wrong . im doing everything step by step ...tried running the .bat file and that didnt work

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  11. Trouba

It is hard to say what is wrong when I don't know all your steps... I don't even know how you updated it, what you did, etc... Screenshot errors are non-descriptive, they don't help. I don't know if it could somehow show up on a different drive than D:\ (that has never happened to me). But you do need to attach the bootable iso to the VM you're working on, of course (which I'm sure you did). But if the delwpa.bat is there (and you saved it right) you cannot get that command prompt error (unless somehow the drive letter is different).

You can always delete the wpa data, it never fails.

12. -c0dez3ro-

ok ...heres what i did i used i updated win7x64 with vm updated fully. added some system updates,such as flash java..... applied some tweaks but not alot .. ran sysprep and that time it worked fine no problem at all so i then tested the wim file with the builder and no errors ..

then i found out java and flash and some other things have been updated from what i already had ..so i had planned todo another sysprep from the VM i had already updated ..so i booted that VM up ..pressed CTRL + Shift + F3 to get into System Preparation Tool mode....i then added the few updates .. rebooted with start menu to make sure updates were fully installed.. i then set up System Preparation Tool as Glenn said .. it ran for a few mins and then it errors .

i reboot then i get this error
    AwakenOS10VM (2).png

at this point i didnt have delwpa.bat file because i didnt know about it then...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  13. -c0dez3ro-

well i gave up on tryin to fix it , i went as far as uninstalling vm and removing everything todo with vm . reinstalled and it would still error .. im gonna try to create a new one , one last time ..

14. Trouba

Try this: don't use the same VM, but install your updated/sysprep'd image (you captured it, right?) to install in a fresh VM. Then, do CTRL-SHIFT-F3 and try it that way. I would not use the actual VM install you already performed sysprep on. But you can install fresh from a sysprep captured image, and then sysprep that install again.

So in other words:

- you sysprep'd a VM install -- that one worked -- you captured that into an install.wim and verified it works to install with (correct?)
    - take that captured install.wim you made into an iso for testing and install that iso in a new VM, then CTRL-SHIFT-F3 that and apply your updates/apps, then sysprep that

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  15. -c0dez3ro-

correct i used an already updated install.wim that works with the builder and installs fine through vm... i then took that wim file added it to a untouched win7 iso ..

im actually installing that into a vm now as i type ....

ill come back once its done and i have tested it , im going to make a back up of it so i dont have to reinstall it again

edit : well now im gettin this ughh..i will never know why the crazy stuff happens to me lol
    12.png

16. Trouba

Looks like, at this point, it would be easier to start over. I would not add runtimes, etc., to your master updated image, just to avoid complications. Just update the OS only and sysprep that. Later, you can use that updated image as a base for adding things, rather than having to update apps on your master, etc.

What could be helpful, while you are doing everything step by step, to keep notes in a txt file of what you're doing, what happens, etc. So later you can refer to it and see what perhaps went wrong. But when you install a Win7 SP1, apply updates, reboot several times in the process (install updates in batches rather than all at once), sysprep, it should work fine. But you need to do the basics first, don't install Java and all that; apps change constantly, you don't want those as part of your master updated image. You could add .NET4.5 and even VC Runtimes, but those install easy later via ssApps, so.

Also, what you need to do BEFORE applying sysprep, is make a copy/clone of your VM. So boot down the updated VM before doing sysprep; backup that folder in which the VM is located somewhere (or use the Clone feature in VirtualBox and save a copy). That way, if your sysprep fails, or something else goes wrong, you don't have to start all over again but instead just use the cloned VM to start over... This will save you tons of time when something goes wrong. (Of course, if you have to use the cloned copy, make another copy of that before you use it, or you won't have a backup when that one fails too.)

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  17. -c0dez3ro-

i wanted to test something out ...so i did a install booted up to the sysprep added nothing .ran sysprep and it also error'd so at this point im clueless as to whats going on.. the wim file does fine in either build or standard install but when i go to run sysprep it errors
    wfwfwfwf.png

18. -c0dez3ro-

did some goggling and found this ...

Code:
     1. Go to Sysprerp folder i.e.  c:\windows\system32\sysprep\Panther
    2. Then move or delete all contents of the Panther folder to another folder for backup purpose.
    3. Now run the sysprep.exe
    For few user’s sysprerp starts by stopping  mediaplayer process running and by uninstalling & installing mstdc. For me everything without success but above steps works 100%.

UPDATE -
    1. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep folder & edit Unattend.xml file & delete skiprearm=1.
    2. Open Registrey Editor & Set GeneralizationState to 7 under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus\
    3. Open Command Prompt as Adminitrator & run below commands,
    msdtc -uninstall
    msdtc -install
    4. Open Registrey Editor & Set SkipRearm to 1 Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\
    5. Try to run Sysprep
    the first part worked for me

19. Trouba

What does the sysprep error log show?

Also, run:

slmgr /dlv

and see what the number for the rearm count is (second line from bottom). (Wait a sec after applying the command, it will load in 5 seconds or so.)

EDIT: OK, just read your post. If it works, fine.

20. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Sorry been away for a few days... Even if I was here, I have no experience with imaging Win 7 and really only intended the design for 8+, if it works for win 7 but needs to be modified, then try to make some .cmd files inside the cleanvm iso and re-share it in this thread, if I grab Murphy's Jan 2015 Win 7 I might see if I can compress his work down a bit more (for the hell of it) one day when I have time. It would be good to have any work you put in already done C0de/Trouba.. but if not, I got that new Win 10 JTP to mess with (but feeling a bit to wiped out today to bother even with that).

21. Trouba

I have not tried any automated methods yet, but was just commenting on general sysprep stuff. But I also saw mention of some 'tricks' when I googled such errors. The usual suspect for such errors is exceeding rearm counts. I also saw mention of disabling some Media Player service, etc.

22. -c0dez3ro-

since http://thepiratebay.se/ is still down i found
    https://kickass.so/user/murphy-78/uploads/

23. -c0dez3ro-

hey guys im running a test with a build using the new 2015 win7 iso , and im having a boot loop , it gets to the livepe background and reboots over and over.i am using the new 2015 win7x86 iso for the livePE also.

edit i did find out its something todo with livePE , i made a build without livepe and it does work

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  24. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Post #9 of this very thread said that any form of updated install.wim is very unsuitable for building LivePE's.. but I'll explain why a little more now.

LivePE's are generated using WinBuilder which assumes your using a standard MS version of each OS, if you update certain files you need to re-register them to the registry and winsxs and as it's a LivePE tool, most people don't bother programming it to do so, they just use a hard captured reg entry as it's hard work to make a rundll occur on LivePE boot etc, they do state on their website that you will get unexpected results if your not using an original OS, even Murphy's releases are not suitable to build a LivePE from, you really need a MSDN, WZor or Original physical MS DVD captured release to make the best quality/stable LivePE in the future.

-c0dez3ro- likes this.
  25. -c0dez3ro-

i still have the MSDN ISO so i can use that , i totally forgot about you saying that . i will add that iso back and rebuild LivePE.

Glenn likes this.