Last10 LTSC x64 RS5 2019.04

Discussion in 'Last10' started by Glenn, Apr 10, 2019.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

You make it sound like they have a choice. Silly man. LOL

2. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well I looked for anything related to secure boot... I only found something called TDT enable or disable. Is that it?

3. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

It is called "Secure Boot", it's under the "Boot Options" or "Security" / UEFI section. it wont be called anything else tho, maybe your Laptop doesn't have it at all if not there and it was the reboot before drivers issues after all.

4. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well, it seems I am only getting one day of this Last10, and then the next morning, I power it up to the same unhandled system exception error. Just happened again.
    Yesterday, I reinstalled the OS, right over what was there, well I formatted the partition first. Today I'd like to take your other advise.
    but I don't know how on Win 10, and Last10 PE.

5. Glenn

I have had "UltraUXThemePatcher_3.6.0_ssApp.apz" cause a boot loop, but apart from that no other tools/tweaks have stopped it from working on the 6 PC/Laptop/Surfaces I have here.

If you can get an original LTSC to install and make sure it doesn't have the same issue on that hardware, it would go a long way for making us know if it's incompatible or something post install happening. If you were to run Vanilla LTSC to do all the updates (Microsoft will install a batch of updates and then after a reboot it will grab another 3 or 4 MORE post "Cumulative" updates), I have had some hardware fail to boot (black screen of death) if I rebooted before the Microsoft version of nVidia drivers was fully installed or if I attempted to install my included nVidia Driver version from ssWPI at the same time.

I will upload a Vanilla RS5 to the Archive ~ if you do not have one. Once installed DO NOT install anything until you have ran a MS update and rebooted multiple times until it says "no new updates available" (this may fix your Last10 install if you do not apply any tweaks/mods or addons (from ssWPI etc) until it's proven it's stable.

Sorry it's giving you a hard time - another thing that might be a dodgy could be a new MS Update that has come out in the last update release or fails if a prerequisite isn't on the system already, so many variables it would be best to supply the laptop model and brand, included GFX card(s) (on board/chip), and if you are installing from ssWPI or manual drivers (or any other post install things I can test here on a VM.

So to recap:
    1.Install LTSC without changing anything or installing anything.
    2.Run MS update
    3.Reboot
    4.Run MS update
    5.Reboot
    6.Do a HDD Image of your working up to date OS
    7.Then apply all your apps/tweaks etc
    7b.If it doesn't fail again after a power down/reboot then do another HDD image / Else revert the disk image and post a list of what you tried to install that has broken the OS.

Possible AMD related error:

https://community.amd.com/thread/184617

Happy hunting.

-EDIT-

I just read you installed this, The drivers this install to the kernel level can cause a crash/BSOD if it's an old version and sometimes even do it on certain hardware anyway, shy away from installing this until very last (with all your testing).

Googled for:
    vmworkstation windows 10 bsod
    Got 78000+ results, so might be the issue all along.

6. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

After Googling LTSC, and finding out it is a relatively new term, I am now unafraid to say I didn't know what it was! lol
    I don't have any LTSC. I can make an image of the drive maybe? Right now I'm back on my XP laptop, so we can do anything to the win10 laptop. But I don't have a license for LTSC, so maybe windows update will be questionable?

7. Glenn

just active with KMSPico (from ssWPI), This occurs automatic when installing ANY Last 8 - 10 etc
    You should really try the vmware thing first (remove it or don't install it in the first place if fresh installing) as it is a common issue people are having with Windows 10. If your able to boot into a safe mode - will have to google how to trigger one as F8 is disable as you said.

Once you install Last10, you can then re boot from USB and back up the install using TeraByte Image (found in the quick launch section), just backup the drive letter (partition) that has Windows on it, that way you only have to restore one partition. Once you have an image you can restore in 4 to 15 minutes depending on HDD speed. Then you can test whats causing the problem, as you said Last10 boots in fine, but then fails after a while, so I think a waste of time downloading LTSC vanilla if you aren't installing anything before imaging.

8. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I only installed it the first day. After that I did not install anything, not even from the installer iso image.
    I was really surprised when it went belly up again.

9. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Some of these gaming laptops will have a recovery partition on it with original OS (and drivers) which if you kept it you might be able to use to restore to in case it continues to give you trouble. The least I always do is back up the drivers on any given install/system, in case of having to go back to that OS or even staying with the same OS but reinstalling because it can be time consuming if not hard sometimes to find all proper drivers. I hope it's just Win10 related, I once purchased an Alienware laptop that was on sale at BestBuy; it also ran Win10 from the box and I couldn't get it to stay stable just doing small tasks, let alone run anything demanding. Since it was an internet order that fit into a certain BestBuy product category, returns were harder than normal. It required store staff to do an inspection of the laptop in order to accept it as a return. When the guy inspected it, it crashed. Then he restarted, he again tried to look if the laptop was functional, it crashed again. Then I got told he couldn't accept the return, it being in this condition. I said, I'm returning it BECAUSE it is in this condition and you (BestBuy) sold it to me this way. Anyway, it was fruitless, but he told me that if I could get it not to do this, and they could run their inspection, they might accept it. So I went back next day when that guy wasn't there, and in the mean time utilized various OS tricks I had learned here through the years and got it to act stable (I think I even used NTLite on it, LOL) and sure enough it passed inspection and they accepted the return. Or I would have had to deal with Alienware directly, send it in for repair (not return), etc. No. :D

EDIT: Anyway, I ended up with an ASUS instead, which was much cheaper, has never given me issues (well, except it won't update a firmware update for some reason, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything). I did end up putting a Last10 image on it that I made and I did backup the original install just in case I'd ever need to go back to it. I'm thinking your issue could very well be driver related but I couldn't say with any certainty.

10. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well, this morning, after installing True Image, and then hunting high and low for it... I found it on a Ram Drive X: i think it was. I couldn't find it on the start menu.
    I made a backup of all 4 partitions. Then I let Windows try and fix it. It rebooted and rebooted some more. Finally it seems to have given up.
    What I want to do is this... using Last10's PE environment, examine the windows logs to find out which program is doing the offending. I suspect it is my video drivers. AMD Catalyst is there.
    Glenn, I never got a Safe boot option. So how do I examine the system logs from the PE environment. I'm just going to leave the laptop in the state that it is in. The choices are:

1. Exit and continue to Windows 10
    2. Use a USB device, network connection, or Windows Recovery DVD.
    3. Troubleshoot - Reset your pc or see advanced options.
    4. Turn off your pc.

I already picked 2, booted to Last10's PE and made the backup.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  11. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I don't know what is going on, but on a freshly Rufus'ed 16GB thumb drive... I am getting a blue screen with Machine Check Exception.
    How about Windows 8? I think I'm going to try that... because this laptop was made during Windows 7's reign... and so maybe Windows 10 is too much for it.
    What the heck is Machine Check Exception?

When I boot up, there is a UEFI thumb drive, and there is just a plain thumb drive option.
    I have been picking the UEFI thumb drive option. Maybe something is stored in the UEFI that is breaking my attempt to reinstall... but this is all so alien to me. Glenn, I think I am already obsolete!!!

12. Glenn

UEFI is what Safeboot uses, Check Machine State is usually caused by drivers, there is not point in keeping your broken install, you'll need to start fresh like I listed above, I can all but guarantee the wrong graphics drivers are installed.

Windows 10 is better than windows 8 if you can get it stable, the ONLY reason windows 8 would work when 10 doesn't would be the drivers it picks for you.

As you still haven't shared the laptop model etc I can not direct you to the manufactures website with the exact drivers you will need (some laptops require you use a modified (by them) version of graphics drivers - this usually happens when they have an integrated graphics as well as a dedicated one, but can also be for single ones too. If this is the case you will need to get the driver in advance and even before installing any updates you will need to turn off the internet (so it wont do it automatically) and then install the correct driver - windows only updates the default display drivers and/or you can roll them back to your installed one from that advanced boot menu.

Terabyte image and windows recovery is in the quick launch bar next to the start menu in the LivePE, just hover with a mouse to see them, I also include partition magic for deleteing all the partitions (as Trouba said they include recovery ones which once you have your own image on your USB disk you wont need to keep.

So to clarify
    - Last8 may work for you straight away because it will use different drivers and that may be the only reason why, once you install "Open Shell", Windows 8 start screen (tiles) will be gone and it will function much like windows 7 - 10.
    - Windows 10 will work on your hardware only if you use the companies versions/modified graphics and chipset drivers etc, some Laptops even require a firmware update to bios for them to work with windows 10 compared to 7 or 8 (ESPECIALLY when using UEFI/secure boot).

13. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I bought an Asus G73-IJ. The guy put 16 GB of RAM in it. But the power supply he brought was woefully inadequate.
    He gets them missing the hard drive, so there is no factory restore option, which is fine because the laptop was sold during Windows 7. He says they come from US government and so they just remove the hard drives before liquidation.
    I didn’t mention that I was trying to erase this partition with a brand new image of Last10 , which is when I started getting the machine check error. So now I really don’t know what to do.

14. The Freezer

Ugh. Our Win3.1 guy is struggling with Win10... Huh. Who saw that coming?

15. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

It has got to be Secure Boot messing with me now...
    I put in AwakenOS, and that froze up too shortly after generating shortcuts finished. There was an error about atomic clock not being able to access the sound hardware or something. But it was already frozen.
    I couldn't click OK.

Here are my bios screens.

Attached Files:

16. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Actually, I am most fond of XP.

The Freezer likes this.
  17. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I think I need a UEFI bootable Knoppix.
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=63

But seriously, is there a way to edit the UEFI boot options stored in the UEFI partition? If I can get this silly laptop to boot anything!

18. The Freezer

LOL

19. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Correction: I bought an Asus ROG G73-JH.
    I took a nap, now I am back at it. This time I reformatted the 100MB partition, and deleted the 16MB partition, and recreated it. (It would not let me just reformat it.)
    There is also a 500MB partition marked as System Recovery, which is stupid because I don't have a Recovery Image for this Asus. Windows 7, who cares.
    After doing that, I made it back to bootup after it said it was installing updates. Then I got back to the unhandled system exception error. At least I got past the Machine Check Exception! For now...

20. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Why did you reformat the 100mb partition? Why not just delete all partitions and re-partition the entire drive? During install the 100mb reserved partition gets created.

Are you saying you are still trying Win10, or Win7 now? Try with the OS it was made for, then see if it's stable. If it's not stable then, think hardware problem. If it is, think OS/software problem. Would be a better diagnostic method to start with what the system came with, i.e., Win7.

I have a desktop system that works beautifully on Win7 but I get graphics crashes when running Win8 on it. There are fewer drivers versions for Win8 than for Win7 in the case of my hardware, so if a driver doesn't work well in Win10 or Win8, it may never work right unless going back to Win7. It shouldn't happen but it does.

Glenn likes this.
  21. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

Have you tried to disable UEFI boot? See if that helps. Also I suggest trying Power ISO for making your USB drive. That is my preference anyway. I never have to mess with the settings. I just select my image and drive and let it do it's thing.

22. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Yes, still trying win10. I have gotten it installed again. I am making a backup currently. I have not setup the wifi to work with my router, so it is stuck with just the files from Last10. It complained about not having the correct video driver.
    I am going to see if I can find it, and install it manually. ATI video, on Intel chipset. I never have any problems with Intel video drivers, except Intel is withholding the older drivers like everybody else.

Glenn likes this.
  23. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I hope it doesn't come to that. I would NEVER try this, except I trust Glenn and all of you guys here at LastOS. (Actually, come to think of it... I never did try this until now... lol)

Ok, I found the drivers from AMD's website. I put them in, and now I am doing an incremental backup.

1. How do I prevent Windows Update from installing the wrong driver now?
    2. The Terabyte backup Images I made require windows to be running. I couldn't get that far. So I need something I can restore when windows won't start. I am creating a MS recovery drive, on a thumb drive. It says it can be used when windows won't start. But it is taking forever to make.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Trouba likes this.
  24. Glenn

TeraByte Image is built in to the Last10 LivePE, down in the quick launch bar (pinned items), it can backup and restore fine from there, even with a non bootable OS, just boot from the USB again and instead of installing windows, restore windows if needed.

I am glad it's holding firm, as I said by having the display drivers already installed it should (in theory) see they are the best drivers and just work, else it will BSOD 3 times in a row and then in the advanced boot options allow you to roll back drivers or do a system restore. So as you now have the HDD image and you have your GFX drivers done your right to enable WiFi-

Do the updates manually by right clicking the desktop and choose "System Tools", then pick "WU - Hide Updates", this will list all the available updates (including the dodgy graphics/chipset drivers) so you can un check the ones you want to keep/or block. then it will hopefully update the security and bug fixes without the update screwing up your hardware drivers again.

BTW great work, I am glad you're putting the time in, I hope that your gaining new skills and not just fighting a battle ;)

TrueImage:
    VirtualBox_Windows 10 x64_27_10_2019_18_29_10.png

System Recovery:
    Erererere.png

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Trouba likes this.
  25. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Houston, All systems are GO.
    I think we got all the bases covered.
    I found this... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

AND used it...
    I prevented the culmulative update that was scheduled.
    I want to enjoy this laptop for a while.
    Thanks Glenn, and Trouba, and even Freezer for a little humor when things were at their darkest.
    Man, it feels good to have this thing working again. I am posting from that laptop.