Last10 LTSC x64 RS5 2019.04

Discussion in 'Last10' started by Glenn, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Here you go guys. This little thing works. It allows you to hide an update, so it won't be installed. You can unhide it also, which I just did. Did I mention I used to own a Dodge Challenger Hellcat? I drove that bad boy 194 mph on the interstate. Many times actually. My wife was always riding shotgun when I did too. That's probably why I couldn't get the last 5 mph. (Dodge said it would do 199 mph) I've got a picture of it on the dash. But I got too many tickets... so I sold it. It was fun while it lasted. I will only send it by pm, cause I'm not gonna post that on the internet anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

John, aren't you doing a bit of "reinventing the wheel?" AFAIK, I thought that "Show/Hide" was already included with and built-in to Last10. Didn't Glenn point it out to you a few posts back? At least that's what I understood, but since I don't, and hope I never have to, use Win 10, I could be wrong.

Trouba likes this.
  3. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Oh if I had paid ATTENTION, the aggravation that would have saved me.
    I went back to page 1, and am going to read all 4 pages of this.

Trouba likes this.
  4. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Same results now tho mate, no need to worry, but learn and share your experiences when able - if you know the why then it's MUCH easier to remember the how (or google the right information again and again :D). I knew you had to hide updates and even that we had built it in to Last10 Tweaks/releases, but your better for knowing why it's there now.

Trouba, Johnrw and The Freezer like this.
  5. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I dunno, I had no choice for anything but Windows theme. No LastOS theme in there.

6. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

For the benefit to those who didn't click the link...

"These changes have silently been introduced (and mostly undocumented) in 1803 as part of the effort of forcing people to use OneDrive, even for sharing stuff between home computers."

Imagine that, M$ disabling machines on it's own networks, to get One Drive acceptance. See why I am so jaded?

7. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well that answers some of my questions about Defender Removal. Another question is, How do I remove defender? I hope you understand, after all I went through to get this machine working, I feel less inclined to experiment. Until I get to know her a little more. I tried the Icon on the Desktop, of Last10 PE, before I clicked Install Windows. I see something in the appz folder with defender in the name... but... I'd like to know how to do that. I have a real Anti Virus program I'd like to use here.

8. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I think you mentioned it but if not, please make a complete system backup as the system is now, before making any more changes or running any updates. Then you can use that image state as a basis to work from.

9. Glenn

Yes the "!Disable.Defender" which you can run the "Menu.exe" on the root of the USB/ISO and pick "Install Apps (ssWPI)", "!Disable.Defender v2017.07.13 R2" is 3rd option down. You can also install SetupS and manually run it from the USB/ISO:
    X:\ssAppsInstalls\!Disable.Defender_v2017.07.13.R2_ssApp.apz

Either of these will fully disable and mostly remove Defender off your PC after completing and you reboot, I never force reboots as I queue up multiple apps to install and I never made ssWPI resume after reboots so I avoid do it.

10. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

You and the LastOS team are freaking awesome. Have I said that lately? Glenn, I was reading somewhere, you said you were 33 y.o. at the time. You have got to be shitting me? You have such wisdom... wisdom I can't find anywhere in my generation, except maybe BP.
    He is on my backburner at the moment, but don't kid yourself BP, we will get to know another. And The Freezer too!
    Glenn, you said earlier...
    It was something you said about me not keeping up, and that... that decision is one that I must make. It seems that for now, I'm with you on the choice of win10.
    But I just bought a gaming chair, and I am going to get my Falcon 3.0 and 4.0 up and running. I have 3 weeks to prepare!

11. Glenn

I am 38 now, I've settled a lot over recent years, before I was passionate and spent up to 16 hours a day for weeks/months at a time, I perfected the refining of modding XP, Vista and Windows 7, but Windows 8 and above have dropped graphical modifications (beyond wallpaper and accent colors) because Microsoft switched to rolling and cumulative updates, this meant any .dll and .exe modifications would be partially replaced - causing ugly non themed graphics and replaced patched files that allowed 3rd party themes etc. So the main benefit of Last10 is it's LivePE, The included optional tweaks and applications, integrated settings and activation and the explorer addons and pre-configured optimizations, this is all built on all previous LastOS work, the included OS side of things is nice to use as it is more up to date and has all the dot.net 3.5, C#, C++ etc runtimes pre integrated and up to date. Trouba does a great job building sysprep-ed OS's that actually detect the integrated updates - unlike many others releases who's updates either don't work (they re-download) or are installed (slowly) post install, making the HDD fragmented and thrashed on first logon. It is worth installing LastOS's versions for that alone.

I spend a lot of time now keeping up to date with all technology and playing with any interests, but I still make sure to help anybody who asks here at lastos.org - as you have found. I feel there is no point in having knowledge and then not sharing it with others.

It really depends what your doing on your computer if it's worth learning a new version Windows/tools which lately are dumbed down, so unless you work on other peoples PC's (who will run the latest windows usually), then there is no point in leaning a new OS unless you find it fun/interesting. I take a day or two to figure out something in Windows 10, then I include it inside Last10 Tweaks or as an optional tweak/app in ssWPI, at the end of the day if you can use the tools you have without the frustrations or need then you have a OS you can use daily, doesn't matter what version it is really. I have seen how well/fast the Last team can do things in Windows XP and 7, but once they tried Windows 10, everything was moved and slowed them down, many things were even removed, making it near impossible to do what they need in a timely fashion or sometimes at all.

My wisdom isn't from knowing more, it is from training myself how to find the simplest methods to get a desired result. I don't fuss over making things more complex/obscure, I make them as simple and easy to find as I can. I mean if you had a tool in your furthest shed, behind 2 locks and inside a box you have to unlatch, then put the tools together before you can modify it to do the job you want, you'll end up not using the tool at all. Make it more readily available and/or more customizable and you will use it all the time ;) That is why it sucked so much when Windows 10 came out with massive changes and things removed that were in windows since Windows 3.11 or in the same position in Windows 7 and 8 but not at all in 10. The stupid part is they tried to make a new/easier settings menu in 10 but they removed the legacy control panel option and had their new one incomplete or linking to the old option screens. even worse is the fact you can copy the files off windows 8 and they still work in windows 10. They tried to make things simple by removing choice and dropping features not everyone needed. it was a bad design and they'll pay for it for years to come.

12. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

X-Wing. There is no substitute.

Johnrw likes this.
  13. mortmaru

mortmaru New Member

Another annoying thing i have noticed with Windows 10 it closes your programs which is dangerous if you are say seeding or downloading torrents (it just did this to me closed my vpn) also noticed it uses more resources when running nothing Desktop Windows Manager keeps jumping up cpu wise.

So glad to go back to Windows 7

Johnrw, bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  14. Trouba

Johnrw, remember (or hear for first time :) ) that you can also disable Defender via a little utility called Defender Control. The repo version was just updated to Defender.Control_v1.5_ppApp. This way you don't have to actually uninstall/delete Defender if you're not comfortable with that.

The Freezer likes this.
  15. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

So I decided to try and get some work done on another pc... this laptop has been sleeping for a day. Now I get a message that says it will restart out of my scheduled/acceptable hours!!!! How do I cancel that update? Shit.

To make matters worse, I am doing a Full Image Backup when that message popped up.

16. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

On my Windows 8, straight up HP installed Windows from the recovery partition 1 time, I noticed that when I am not using it, the cpu temperatures go up! I hunted it down, and it was Defragging my drives. After I put a stop to the defrag nonsense, I caught it again heating my cpu's up!!! I never really use the windows 8 machine, except for banking. Yup, I am a Windows XP guy through and through.

17. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

You know it is this "make it simple" that has always drove me crazy about Microsoft. I am building a Windows 98 SE machine, and I forgot how crazy they made me back then. In Explorer, to get the left pane to show your folders, you have to go to the menus. Everything else had a hotkey... but not the most desirable functionality in explorer. One would think that a multi-billion dollar company could get things right? Microsoft is showing the same contempt for it's users as IBM did back in the day. It must come with success. That feeling that you can't do no wrong.

18. The Freezer

I've found that with Windows 8.1, there's a Power Options/Scheme where CPU Idle can be disabled (or that's the default) which means the CPU is running 100% full time. The problem is the option is probably hidden. This caused me some head-scratching at first. But I found a tweak that exposes the CPU idle power-option which in turn allows me to enable CPU idle. This may work for Windows 10 too. I don't know.
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-2158492d58ad]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000000

As I said, after applying the tweak you have to manually set it to "Enable Idle" (Under "Processor power management").

19. The Freezer

It's funny you say that. The current Chairman of Microsoft, John Thompson -- he succeeded Bill Gates -- is a former IBMer. VP, actually. A 28-year IBM career.

So yeah. Maybe.

20. Glenn

True Image uses Volume Shadowing, meaning even if something pops up mid backup it will use a snapshot of the system at the start of the backup.

The only way to stop it rebooting with updates installing is to disable updates again (Microsoft re-enable automatic updates from time to time, it's very annoying) I try to do manual updates once a month or so, but once it's started you will need to reboot sooner or later to make it complete the update.

21. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Did they remove the ability to hibernate my laptop? I have googled it a few times, I keep getting directions that are for an earlier Windows 10 I guess... because the steps are wrong. If they removed hibernation, that is a deal BREAKER. Besides the many other things about Win 10 that just plain piss me off... that is inexcusable. I even made a custom power plan. No joy...

22. Trouba

Looked for you but in VM it is not supported (firmware not supported) so I can't really comment. Did you try something like powercfg -h -size 75% to increase hiberfil.sys size? Not sure, never tried that myself.

Normally you could access extra power options by going to Power Options -> "Choose what the power buttons do" on the right and seeing if there are hibernate options listed under that.

23. Glenn

It is mandatory that your OS do a MS Update of your hardware for it's power management, it isn't included for MANY laptop models. if after this you still don't have hibernate then try the following fix:

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-add-hibernation-option-windows-10.htm

If that fails try:

https://www.tenforums.com/general-s...ettings-unavailable-blocked-guarded-host.html

If it's still missing then I am out of easy ideas, perhaps visit the manufacturers Drivers and Support page and see if a 3rd party tool is available to handle hibernation or anything in the BIOS allows setting it to S1 to S3 sleep level options etc, one keeps power to memory and the other doesn't (requiring at to boot up and restore from HDD the ram content, as it always had to in the past).

24. Trouba

Paste this in Notepad and save as a .reg file and apply it and reboot:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Enable Hibernate
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power]
    "HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000001
    Last10 reg tweaks have this set to "0". Maybe it'll help, maybe not.

Glenn likes this.
  25. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

That was it!!!
    Many Thank You's Trouba!!!
    You saved all the hours I have put into this Win10 project, because I was really going to throw it all away.

Glenn, You should include this into your next tweaks release.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Trouba likes this.