Last7 Collection

Discussion in 'Last7' started by The Freezer, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

What is the telemetry update?

2. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well, after losing much time and energy to a simple problem... the Intel USB 3.0 ports were without the Intel driver, because of a setting in bios! All the driver setup program said was that the machine did not meet the minimum specifications to install. It might have said something about not finding the hardware to drive. The thing is, it was turned off by default by Asus. So I just had USB 2.0 ports. Ok, I let Windows Update have the machine for a day... I kid you not... 9am to around 5pm. Then the reboot.
    This an apple .mov file of the reboot. 580,000 operations!?!?! I put it up on my Google Drive, because that I know works.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AMgTgxw3qRg_41XRIIkF_-qHOkBn7gCL

After Windows Update had applied the updates... it moved Users back to drive C:
    So much for Windows Update on Windows 7.

3. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Here is the results of the rabbit hole I went down. 5GB Falcon.rar
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NpCNgqlroxXprh7OO7RmAmLJvfDfvzFF

It figures you would trace down the leaked source code. I only came across that fact, as a mere mention in a story, about the various groups that have kept Falcon alive since Hasbro canned it. No mention of where the source code got used etc.
    I think I am finally going to put a Falcon, no idea which one, but a Falcon in... and try to fly some this weekend. Such a long build up to actually doing this... I hope it is worth all the aggravation I went through.

I'll grab a copy of free falcon.

4. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

So... here is a list of the boot drivers he added to allow windows 7 to install to a nvme drive. There are more in "install".
    I 7 zipped the drivers directory up... and put it on my Google Drive. 128MB or so.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qkuinh4FjDQCWCm-aO7VvcCVp7FuqoCU
    Glenn, if you have been thinking about releasing a farewell edition to CosmOS... that might give you some more incentive.

I will say, that i did take a performance hit on the nvme when on windows 7. About 1/2 the speed compared to 8.1 which was around 3200 MB/s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2019 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

[Read]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 1608.378 MB/s [ 1533.9 IOPS] < 5210.91 us>

[Write]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 1680.807 MB/s [ 1602.9 IOPS] < 4979.49 us>
    Date: 2019/12/20 5:00:05

VIA USB
    Alpine Ridge USB
    AMD MISC
    Asmedia USB
    Etron Technology USB
    Fresco Logic USB
    Intel AHCI
    Intel NVMe
    Intel USB
    Micron NVMe
    OCZ Toshiba NVMe
    Plextor NVMe
    Renesas Electronics USB
    Samsung NVMe

Trouba likes this.
  5. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Not so fast... now I am running AwakenOS 8.1, and the benchmark is about the same as CosmOS 7.
    Now I am consistently getting less speed than I'm supposed to be getting. I thought Windows 8.1 had better driver support for nvme.
    I dunno, but I yield for now...
    CrystalDiskMark 7.0.0 x64 (C) 2007-2019 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
    * KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

[Read]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 1614.233 MB/s [ 1539.5 IOPS] < 5192.09 us>

[Write]
    Sequential 1MiB (Q= 8, T= 1): 1682.853 MB/s [ 1604.9 IOPS] < 4973.73 us>

Date: 2019/12/21 0:54:15

Attached Files:

6. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I think there is a small misunderstanding... since I first downloaded LastXP Combined... in 2006 or 2007, that is what I have been using. I never knew what happened to Return of Nights. He was being kicked off of sharing sites the last I saw.
    Since things were on the internet, I had no way to actually find him and pat him on the back! Tell him how cool he was etc...

After taking a look at a buddy's computer running Vista, I made up my mind, I was staying on Windows XP. And there I stayed for 12+ years, until I came here a few months ago.

I never knew what you guys have done, with all the flavors of Windows since XP.
    I am sooooooo glad you did. But I never knew where you were, and what you were doing.
    The only reason I am moving out of LastXP, is the hard drives have gotten too big for XP. And... that I found LastOS. Without LastOS, I would be forever on 2 TB hard disks on XP.

bphlpt and Glenn like this.
  7. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Well Johnrw, they say only 7% of communication is verbal, 55% is body language, and 38% is tone/intonation. So it's a miracle anything gets done on the Internet :D

Johnrw likes this.
  8. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

There you go Truba! Well you’re the one that gave me Windows 7 on NVME. So without much ado… Let me say thank you! It was pretty much fire and forget. Albeit, vanilla Windows 7. I fussed with it for a day or so, then made a back up, and proceeded to install windows 8.1. I have the same shitty performance on Drive C, as Windows 7... so now I’m thinking heat sink. Actually, the Asus board has a switch for the fan. I just don’t know if the fan is on or not. I guess I can crawl on the ground and do a visual inspection, it’s just a little harder when you’re 62 years old.

But Thank You Truba!

Trouba and Glenn like this.
  9. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well, I don’t know about anyone else but have you guys noticed how much Intel is charging for their NVME boards? They are charging a lot of money. Now why would they do that? Well, here is my take on it, The performance increase one gets with NVME on Drive C... easily surpasses the performance of a brand new processor increase. Have all you guys been running on a three second windows? Because that’s what Windows 8.1 is doing… No more than three seconds and it’s up! I bought a Corsair 960 GB for $125. See what Intel wants for a 1 TB NVME board...

10. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

My PC is a 2014 i5 Sandy Bridge, on ASUS MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN3 board, 24GB DDR3 2033mhz ram, I run a Corsair 60GB 6GB/s SSD for my OS and a 2TB Seagate External HDD (AKA 5900rpm) that it's enclosure broke so I made it a internal one, HDD still ticks from time to time. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti and Intel 3000 HD on chip....

Takes a few seconds under a minute to load my Windows, which is why I run S3 Sleep and have my PC ready for me within 4 seconds of moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard, I have a passcode set as I have kids running about and don't want them messing with my PC.

Would be nice to afford an upgrade one day :) Until then I can only imagine what benefits new specs/options give.

11. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

How much money do you need to upgrade Glenn? Would $1000 USD do it?
    Just pm me your bank info and I’ll wire you the money. But be careful about gen 8 & 9 Intel stuff. People have problems with getting drivers for earlier stuff to work on those platforms. Iirc. Truba knows what I’m talking about. It’s 1:30 Am here.

In other words… I’m pretty tired and I can’t remember the particulars. But, Glenn, if anybody on the planet earth deserves money from me, it is you! You gave me 12 years of peace. If my business was doing better, I would say $2000. But the truth is… Like me, my business is aging. I used to have 6 or $7000 months. Now I’m lucky to get $4000. But for you, I can afford $1000 in a second.

Since I didn’t really care, I wanted to put together a PC for as little money as possible... I decided to use Newegg.com used equipment. Since I hadn’t kept up with processors and motherboards I didn’t know how far I had to go to give me a system that could run falcon 4.0 reasonably well. So I bought an Asus Z97-A/USB3.1 motherboard and a Haswell 4790 Intel processor used for around $400. I had some old nVidia GTO-7900 cards, I paid a fortune for, back when I was downloading LastXP Combined in 06 or 07. I have since picked up a much later nVidia card for $30 on eBay. The used motherboard comes with no CD from the manufacture, so I would definitely get an Asus. Also, no manual. Again, ASUS has you covered. But, with Asus, you will need the motherboard serial number to get on their website and talk to an engineer. Since my motherboard M2 connector is only running at Gen 2 speed, you have to get a motherboard produce much later than mine. Or you can put $60 towards a Hyper M2 card by Asus. That takes a PCI express slot. Then you have all the speed the card can deliver. I used the slot normally used for video card number two.

Just give me the word and you’ll be ordering newer parts.
    For me, this is just settling an old debt. I owe you more than $1000

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  12. Glenn

I know many others who have less of a PC than I already have, so I wont be asking anyone (especially here at LastOS) for money, it would not be fair on the many others who have shared their ideas and time for free, only for the betterment of OS's for everyone everywhere. I may complain about my hardware, but until it stops working it's not causing me any problems either.

John please just continue to support us by participating here at LastOS as time is the most valuable thing there is, thank you.

The main point I was making is even though I run old hardware I am able to achieve 3 second boots by way of the Sleep features built in to most PC's, the only time I do a full reboot is for hardware changes or OS updates (which I have set to manually). The real world benefits of fast HDD's is not really the boot speeds, but the app start up speeds and copying/moving huge chunks of data rapidly between things ;)

13. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well Glenn, my wife thanks you!
    I wish you would let me pay this debt off.
    But she is glad you won’t let me.
    What can I say. I don’t know what an i5 is.
    A reduced version of i7 for sure, but what is different?
    I have no idea, I’ve never owned one.
    Now it is 3AM and I’m fading fast.
    G’night.

14. Glenn

Back at Sandy Bridge - The last CPU that had "normal" performance for it's CPU mhz and core counts, all versions after it they improved the power efficiency and optimized some functions opening more potential performance gains. The fact the hardware I have was produced around the same time, my performance is already maxed out (minus the HDD speeds, which I'll upgrade early next year).

The following explains the differences between all modern CPU terminology:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/intel-core-i3-vs-i5-vs-i7-one-really-need/

At the time of my last build, I could afford a standard i7, but I wanted a k model so I could play with over clocking, so I go the i5 k for a similar-ish price instead.

4 Cores 32nm
    Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz - 3.8GHz Turbo
    Socket 1155 LGA

More info:
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-2500k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz.html

So except for the power savings, less heat produced due to smaller nm chips, I have been very happy using my PC all these years. I got the best mid range GFX card I could afford at the time and it's still able to play Shadow of Tomb Raider at 1080p on Low Settings... No need for anything better... until next generation games at least, Xbox Series X (due Nov/Dec 2020) and the Playstation 5 with their RTX shading features and AI processing abilities will make PC technologies improve very quickly prior to them even. I am not a fan of investing my time into modern games too much tho, so I might not care for more still, we'll see how game streaming plays out, I know my Internet lag will make it near impossible, but worth trying.

15. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Glenn,

A few things.
    Your ssd drive goes through SATA, so it has a 600MB/second limit on speed. SATA’s speed limit.
    NVME gen 3 maybe gen 4 for sure goes about 6 times that to around 3600MB/second.
    It is a real game changer. If you know all about Gen 4 nvme, then I’m sorry.

Remember that first ROG laptop I put LastOS-10 on?
    Well windows update killed it beyond repair. After messing with it for a day, trying various things people suggested,
    I decided to put LastOS-7 on it. Big mistake. I spent 2 days trying and every time the install would not finish.
    Machine would lock up. One time it made it to menu.exe, but locked up once that loaded. So after all that failure... I tried that vanilla Windows 7 Ultimate I threw together for my nvme computer. It worked first time. So now that’s what I have. Vanilla Ass Windows 7. The laptop was made for Windows 7, it still has the sticker for it.
    The exact model of the ROG laptop is Asus G73JH, I wish you would make a Windows 7 update. It should have been able to install on old hardware. I lost a little faith in this one.

I remember my first computer I built, parts I ordered through Computer Shopper! The IBM clone world was built by people looking to save money and not buy an Apple Computer. It seems the later might have been the best choice all along.

16. SSJ9KDylan

SSJ9KDylan Guest

And now, we have CosmOS 2.0 and 1.0

17. 6100m

6100m Member

Cool how we have v1.1 now. *where has LastOS been all my life*

One of the very first tho! Amazing thing to have, wish I could put it in my google drive archive but I ran out of space. I do however have a friend who could. Xprism himself. Heck, even he has seen my archive + he's a moderator of it.

Can I send him the stuff to backup to his google drive so we have cloud backups of it?

18. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Yes, by all means, of course. Those are public releases after all; and have been all along since they were first released -- over a decade ago ;)

19. 6100m

6100m Member

And me and xprism had a bit of drama with each other lol. no matter! I have a server now, so maybe I'll get it backed up when I get the chance :D

20. mircea

mircea Member

People DEMAND a new LAST Last7 64bit .There is nobody here to pay a tributar to old venerabile Windows 7 ?

Trouba likes this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Xp, Vista, Win 7, 8/8.1, 9, Win 10 ?

22. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I did make an updated Last7 image (minus LivePE) last month and installed it on this/my PC. It uses the ESU updates so it is current. I will look into updating the image with latest update KB4592471 and see about uploading. No promises though, it's just my intention at this point. My upload is very slow but it's not impossible when all the stars align :D

bphlpt likes this.
  23. mircea

mircea Member

Thanks very much Trouba.PLEASE be careful whit activation tool to be tested before.Thanks very much for help in the past[but win that u give me have no activation...and no new activation works], I appreciate your effort but please verify activation before upload here.Please put as many app that u can[like in win 10 64bit Lts...even moore],so users to pick what they whant from ISO.COSMOS WINDOWS 7 was very good but its old and not having many app.And please only free app.We dont have money for paid app.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  24. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Windows 7 loader has been tried and true for years as others have used it, KMSPico is a different variant, Windows Defender will flag it ( my tests did ) , so if you want a activation that will not be a issue get the Windows loader.

TIP: Do not install a Anti virus program and expect certain activation methods to work.

Sounds like you need to use the windows loader as it is simple to use on any windows 7 OS

25. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

mircea likes this.