Last7 Collection

Discussion in 'Last7' started by The Freezer, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

If it has to be on a 4.7gb disc (not a dual-layer one) then the only option is to open the .iso in a program like UltraISO and delete any pp/ssApps you don't need on there. Since you have access to the repos here, you can take all apps out of the ppAppsInstalls and ssAppsInstalls folders. That should get you down to desired size.

2. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Thank You Trouba! (I really thought I was losing my mind, having to ask such an obvious question)
    I am building a PC for myself, and have been all in, in that pursuit But I wish to chime in on an old thread...

http://forum.lastos.org/index.php?threads/some-of-my-thoughts.1083/#post-16170
    Let me tell you what LastXP meant to me. I had gone through years of M$ bullshit, like we all had, and I was very comfortable with diskcopy A: B: when I built a new computer. So when Windows 95 came out, I and my customers that would heed my advice, stayed away all the way up until Windows 98 came out. I always said, "Windows 95 in 98, and not a moment sooner." So I played around with Windows 98 for a few years before Windows XP came out. It never phoned home, and all you needed was a valid license code for that product, and you(me) were good to go. As time went on, M$ grew to become even more of a pain in the ass, with WGA, and Windows Update.

Enter Return of Nights.

This guy saved my sanity. Not only had he found a free version of Windows XP he could distribute, he also made a better OS install than M$, because his XP install had the SATA drivers. (To this day I have Intel driver disks on floppy disks in my floppy box.)

I still... have no idea why M$ never released a version of XP that had SATA drivers on it.
    And his install of XP had a working sound card, network (ethernet and wireless), graphics card drivers... it was all there.
    So... with his release, LastXP Combined (v13), I have stayed right up until I came here and found you guys. I think it is the end of 2019?
    That's a lot of computers. But not nearly as much as when I was in my heyDay. For I became The Diesel Doctor, in 2009.
    Windows had become hostile to my way of thinking, and you guys kept a lid on their expression.

You would think that with all the revenue M$ has collected, they could make something we liked. How can they continue to keep fucking up and stay in business?
    After Windows XP...

Vista->Bad
    Windows 7->Vista's Savior
    Windows 8->Bad, Bad, BAD tiles...
    Let's skip 9 and go to 10. But Windows 10, has now has "a forced" Windows Update, which broke my installation with a bad video driver... which rendered the machine un-bootable.

This is not a brand new laptop, it has a Windows 7 sticker on it. I bought it used for a couple hundred bucks.

I think you all should form a company, because that is all M$ recognizes, and get hired to do the "Enthusiast" version of Windows.
    You all, have no idea how much I TREASURE your work. I would never have tried Windows 10, were it not for you guys.

Trouba likes this.
  3. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

At first I had read that as "Euthanasiast" :what:

I'm thinking of doing a modded Last8 release myself, and I think I'll call it that. ... Er, "Enthusiast" that is. LOL

4. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I was trying to “sound like” the dopes at M$. I think that’s what they view us as.
    Don’t confuse me with them, please. I am burning CosmOS 7.3 as I write this...

5. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

A rant on OS upgrades and a thank you to Trouba

It really only takes a few weeks to belt windows (any version) in to shape, of cause it improves more over times, but once you have learned how Microsoft do things (Via the registry and which .dll's do what), then your able to just apply the tweaks you have always used and use regshot to capture any new tweaks you have to do manually. ssWPI and SetupS were always designed to make life easier for a "Professional Enthusiast" like all of the team at LastOS, to automatically access all aspects of your PC to make the software run without ALL the annoyances and in most cases with everything included, so you don't have to spend days installing software manually for days. All this works on windows XP through 10 and even runs under WINE on Linux to some degree (we used to support it, but it kept being broken by their developers so we just left it a few years back, it still works in Linux in 2019, but it's unsupported by us).

Now the work Trouba has done over the last few years has been wonderful, his ability to capture the smallest and entirely up to date OS using SysPrep in a VM is beyond my own ability, Not sure if he uses a variant of my batch scripts to capture the VHD mounted HDD or not, but that is nothing compared to how well his installs have worked for me, that is the number one reason I don't even attempt to mod my own OS bases, it's just too damn perfect. Same with his Software, especially runtimes etc, I can do them, but his are smaller, faster to install and more up to date - When I find some good software I still make SetupS Apps out of them, I also update a bunch when I make myself a new installer for my new hardware, but having all the mods and tweaks separate from the OS install means you can use any OS you want and still have it act the way we at LastOS want it to. You can always use MS update to update your OS to be level with Trouba's, but what you'll find it MS backup your OS before the update process and it may break along the way, so you'll have either a OS that has a 2-4GB backup/excess after a fresh install with an update , or you'll get stuck in boot loops from bad drivers or failed to apply updates. So Trouba's work is worth using over vanilla by leaps and bounds.

I understand why Microsoft are making their OS fool proof and usable by "Basic" users, many who may have never touched a PC before. What I never understood is why they dropped existing features and methods that have been in Windows, some since Win 95. If Modern Settings was a complete searchable replacement from the Control Panel way of doing it then I would have been fine adopting it, but what ends up happening is things are obscured from the user and unless you know the .cpl file or .dll to call, you can't even access many of the options you need to set. For example changing the network you connect to from Public to Private is no longer available in Modern Settings and you have to go to control panel settings to change it.

I also understand that many advanced users are set in how they use their PC so changing for no "benefits" - I can agree that there is no benefit from Windows 7 through windows 10 in use cases, but MS has changed how some things work and where some things are located, even some of the slowdowns for no reason are intolerable to many users, so I know why people are staying on older windows, as for the tracking and data collection, We remove as much as we can, but it's impossible to block some user data being collected as even browsers and websites are able to capture data to collect, only using TOR and VPN's can you make the data anonymous at least, but it does get under your skin when you have searched for a product only to have ads flood your inbox, feeds and search results later in the day/week.

So the conclusion is no single OS can suit every user - it's impossible. You can tell that MS understand this in the extreme case, which is why LTSC versions of Windows 10 exists at all - they make it for POS/Signage/Terminal etc. This OS does not randomly demand a reboot in the middle of the day (it does after a month still but unlike Pro it doesn't open a dialog box every time you wake your PC etc). It also lacks the store and inbuilt software, the ONLY reason MS released this version was to stop people jumping to a Linux variant to get the results they need, many people have jumped ship now anyway, but some didn't. I can say as a fact, I would not recommend Windows 10 if it weren't for the LTSC version.

A partial solution Microsoft needs to consider, is when the OS logs in a new user it asks them if they want tiles, want the store, allow tracking/telemetry , want forced updates to be persistent and many other choices users need, instead they decide what users get and make it hard to change them if possible at all. They also need to drop back to service packs instead of sending out a 2GB file every month, that's wasteful and prone to fail more. Maybe if they improved things for everyone, more people would tolerate some changes. They have ignored user feedback for years now, so I doubt it'll happen. They'll just push users away and hope the non professional users don't know any better and stick to it (pre installed on their new hardware).

The Freezer, Trouba and bphlpt like this.
  6. Trouba

Who can refuse an accolade from the master? :D

Truly though, the little I can do is in large part due to Glenn. I've also been around since LastXP and it is only due to his patience and helpfulness that I got anywhere with anything. Plus I like to make updated images (besides for own use) because I feel the LastOS system deserves being perpetuated, including of course the great pp/ssApp app system -- also originally developed by Glenn and further worked out and programmed by Freezer. The only merit I can claim in all this is just my perfectionist streak, not any great technical ability :D Glenn has great insight and memory. I usually forget stuff after not looking into it for a while, but when I ask Glenn he usually knows right away. And of course, he is a great innovator and synthesizer.

Just recently I was on a forum of photo software, and that company decided not to support Win7 (or 8.0) anymore going forward. My argument was that not supporting Win7 was not due to incompatibility, but rather that a system check was programmed into the software instead. So I had these mindless program adherents attack me with the same, usual, void arguments of obsolescence and "security." They will say stuff like that but don't even know what a hosts file is and merely bought a PC with Win10 on it and claim that as their "choice." My initial attitude had been to stick with Win7 until MS would make Win10 better -- it's just taking them a bit longer than I anticipated :D

But LTSC is usable (well after we tweak it into submission) so at least we have that option. Or Win8.1 if one feels inclined. Win8.1 for me seems to be more about a certain era of PC, or Win10 might work better in most cases. At least that's how it appears to me. I think that is mostly driver related but that could be due to the hardwares I tried it on. However, Win8.1 runs much lighter and is less resource hungry than Win10 and it is noticeable.

7. Glenn

Considering just built a budget PC now days have 512GB mSata and a 7TB HDD, 32GB 3200 RAM, nVidia 1050 4GB, 4 x 3800mhz core CPU with 4 x hyperthreading (8 Threads in total), the OS using 2GB ram, 12GB HDD space and GPU acceleration in many apps (including the desktop and moving windows)...

It doesn't sound very resource hungry compared to Win 7 days of lower specked PC's (say 2006 - 2007)
    HP - 500 GB drive · Hard Disk Drive · 4 GB RAM · 1.1 GHz CPU · Intel CPU - (Windows 7 used about 9GB HDD Space, 1-2GB ram (at logon - especially if you had software for your hardware - printer/mouse/graphics drivers etc)
    I mean to say that you were left with very little RAM, the CPU would be at 11% - 25% on the single CPU just moving the window across the screen, Applying effects in the old photoshop would take multiple seconds and filters could take minutes. We were slowed down browsing the internet with Flash and Javascript having to fully load before the webpage was displayed/usable. It used to take 40 seconds up to 2 minutes to boot the PC depending on if you had a 5400rpm or 7200rpm HDD, even resuming from hibernation would take 30 seconds loading from slower HDD's.

So when your saying Windows 10 is resource hungry, comparing what it has available compared to days gone by, it's actually not at all, it's only hungry when you compare it to older OS's which didn't have many of the new features (granted we don't personally use many of the new features, but that doesn't mean no one does - many Hololens owners will use the 3d stuff and people who require accessibility rely on Cortana etc to use their PC. There are many use cases we wont use ourselves, but others will.

It's not a problem to use older OS's still (for now), so it isn't an argument for switching to Win 10, but I did think it only fair to mention thing relative to the time we're in.

-EDIT-

I guess what I am trying to say is PC's and OS's are faster, they are just programmed to feel slower in their effects and reaction speeds. I mean I know you use 20 micro seconds to open sub menu's, I like 40ms and default was 200ms, so makes a big difference to how it reacts.

8. Trouba

I guess you're right about the relativity of it all, and maybe this i-2700k at 4.2ghz with SSD's or else the other hardware can't handle Win10 very well, but I doubt that is what I'm experiencing when I install Win10 on this hardware. Maybe Win10 will do better on M2 or NVMe drives. Our laptop has the latter but then laptops otherwise are often not as powerful as desktops but it is quite snappy on the laptop nonetheless. Honestly I have a hard doing anything worthwhile on laptops or tablets, I just can't be productive on anything but a well set up desktop machine with acceptable input devices. I don't have high-end mice but recently got a silent-click mouse for $12 on Amazon and it works surprisingly well. It's a EPro2 from looking at the back of it. Still has red sensor light and is otherwise kind of cheap and not refined like some Logitech or other mice. But I have kind of grown to like it and I appreciate the quiet clicking. I do wonder how many of the 50+ svchost.exe processes running in Win10 are actually necessary if you don't have a Hololens or like telemetry :D

Glenn likes this.
  9. Glenn

The funny thing about all those service host task is, they use 0% CPU unless something calls one, many use < 8MB RAM each, many only a few hundred kb's and by having them ready in RAM it reduces the HDD usage, Call Times and Memory Writes, meaning you'll save on power usage, heat generation and CPU usage. I prefer all those svchosts to take up a larger % of my RAM, what is the point in having 32GB of RAM and the OS only using <15% of it and using the HDD when I do anything, I may as well own less RAM if it's not going to be used anyway. Something else your not aware of is Windows 7 has the same services running, but they are not shown in task manager in Windows 7 as they are all part of the one call to services.exe and/or svchost - which is a bad design as only one call to them at a time can occur and if one crashes or stalls your whole OS will hang, the new way Windows 10 handles services makes more sense and you can trace the crashes better on a programmer point of view. If you want less svchosts then change some services to manual or if really don't want them - disabled.

bphlpt and Trouba like this.
  10. Trouba

That's good info to know, thanks.

11. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

FA8C92DC-C49D-42AD-AB40-74FDD3F35224.jpeg Well guys… A few days back I said I was burning cosmos 7.3. Well last night I typed up some of what happened to me and for some reason when I posted it it said “security problem”, I needed to refresh the page. I did, and I lost everything I typed. I was dead tired, I can remember the heated discussions about refreshing pages, and what to do with the form data over at Mozilla back in the day. Well I found out the hard way, what side of that argument google was on, LOL.

I can’t really segue into this, so I’m just going to dump it. After getting instructions to burn the ISO to a double layer, I did so. My burner is on a USB connection, it’s an HP drive that reads everything. It’s just one more thing that has bolstered my faith in Hewlett Packard over the years.

For the Last7, everything worked beautiful while in setup. Upon reboot, that’s where my nightmare began. When it Boudet up the windows it looked nothing like what I expected, a generic windows ultimate, with no LastOS App Selection launching. My keyboard, which has a PS2 connector was working. My wireless mouse, that uses Logitech wireless receiver on USB, was not working. I quickly took a look at device manager, and found nothing had been installed, not my chipset drivers which everything pretty much fails after that... no USB. Without USB, your resources to fix things are greatly diminished. The motherboard that I was installing this to, an ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, what is certainly manufactured after windows seven but it is an Intel chips so I kind of hoped that something would be there. I guess there were generic Microsoft drivers for it but they did nothing except allow Windows to start up. I was entering Driver Hell.

After dragging out an ethernet cable that could reach this PC I went to the Asus website, grabbed everything I could find for that motherboard, the first of which, was the network drivers. But this was on a different PC. How to get these files on this other machine was a problem. I removed the drive, put it in a Seiter dry dock and put the files on there there. But I had not found the USB drivers at ASUS. They were Intel. But I got everything except USB working on the next reboot. So I had networking then I plugged around Intel for a little while and grabbed the USB driver.

You know when I’m recapping it here, it all sounds pretty straightforward. At the time it wasn’t trust me I was in a world that I didn’t expect coming from Glenn and Freezer and Trouba, but I overcame it.

Then yesterday, two things happened. I noticed a file on my desktop named Automation_Failed.txt.
    “Unable to find X:\sources\$Scripts\FirstLogon.cmd
    Did you remove your USB or DVD before setup had completed?”

Then Windows popped up a balloon saying I needed to authenticate Windows.
    I only saw it once, and it very quickly went away, but now I’m worried.
    Let me tell you for the first few days, this thing had windows update interfering with everything shut downs boot up’s 15 minute delays every time. Really frustrating. So now I have an incomplete the Last7, one I fought like hell to get completed.

1. I need to rebuild the iso to include my drivers.
    2. How do I get hibernation back?
    3. The default explorer settings, are for children. I poked around a little bit and got the left pane to display the current folder I was in. I’m kind of shocked that it was left in the grandma settings.
    4. I have no idea what key to use, to activate windows. I have a copy of windows seven ultimate that was the first released to masses version, it is actually no longer in use. It’s at my shop I’ll get it later today. The license key to it, doesn’t work on service pack one.

Ok, enough for now.

Actually in 32 bit land, I always used VirtualCd. It was great. I could mount and unmount drives under scripting control. It doesn’t work on Windows 7 64-bit. So I grabbed powerISO, installed it with a right click to SetupS, and now on the next boot it says powerISO is not installed correctly.

12. Glenn

You can NOT install Last 7 from a USB DVD drive if the USB drive gets removed mid install - EXCEPT from a USB 2.0 port, this works perfect, USB 3.1 will not be available at first logon so none of the Last7 tweaks/themes/apps etc would be installed, I was even smart enough to make a file on the desktop saying AutomationFailed.txt for this very reason *if you didn't read over the various previous releases that mention this flaw. As stated you simply use a USB 2 port to install and it will work without a problem, USB 3 was the ONLY reason I moved away from Win 7 to Win 8 - windows 8 does allow you to FULLY install from USB 3 as the basic drivers are included to use at first logon, this doesn't help Windows 7, even if you install it from Win 8 PE as it isn't able to use the new driver stacks so will fail like with Win 7 PE's.

So install it from a USB 2.0 port or put in a Sata or IDE DVD drive. You haven't experienced LastOS 7 at all so far, so please try again. I mean it was impossible for setup to access the tweaks etc from a non mounted drive after all.

If you planned on installing a vanilla Windows 7 you would not have had the same problems because it doesn't need access to the DVD post install (as shown by your vanilla OS you ended up with ;) )

-EDIT-

Just to clarify, I could have easily copied the whole tweaks etc from x:\sources\$OEM$ to the HDD at install time, but this would add a LOT of time to the installer and it would also leave your HDD fragmented, I mean what is the point in copying all the Apps (even ones your not planning on installing), that is why the DVD/Disk is needed at first logon/post logon.

Windows 7 requires manual USB 3 integration, per motherboard to work and doing this can cause a BSOD if you try and install on a different motherboard/USB chipset, so I had no choices to integrate like we did with Windows XP with it's chipsets, XP cant use many USB 3 drivers either, so don't think it's better, pure luck if the ones I managed to integrate without BSOD work properly for you.

Trouba likes this.
  13. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Ooooohhhhh. (Slappppping Self in the face, back and forth!!!)

Well, not so fast...
    On this motherboard, USB did not work AT ALL, until I installed this:
    Intel(R)_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Driver_5.0.4.43_v2

There are also some USB 3.1 ports on the back,
    Asmedia_USB3-31_Win7-8-8-1_V116240

So I have re-installed, and I am still at the Plain Jane Windows 7.
    Google Chrome "Sync" saved me a lot of headaches regarding re-installing windows.
    Here in IMG_1922 is what device manager listed after installation. IMG_1922.jpg

Then in IMG_1923 not much has improved. I installed the chipset driver from Intel, and the AsMedia driver for the USB 3.1 ports. I am holding off the installation of Intel USB 3.0 drivers to convince myself I am not crazy.
    IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1923.JPG

So I took a video, watching my system come alive, with Intel USB 3.0 driver installation. That is IMG_1925.mov It is 71MB so I doubt I can post it here. I can post a link to it on my Google Drive... but that will be later. Google wants to suck this entire drive to it's servers. But hey, I got fiber optic... I'm game. The last image is IMG_1926 Where everything gets mounted into the system successfully.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    Trouba likes this.
  14. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Trouba likes this.
  15. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

So what do I do now Glenn? I still have Automation_Failed.txt on my Desktop. I guess I could buy a Real Sata DVD burner... but I hope I can include this danged driver into the .iso and get a real Last7 on this machine.

16. Sshadow

Sshadow New Member

If your able to use an external CD-ROM via USB why can't you just install from a USB thumb drive? That is how I have always installed the Last OS's with no issues.

Trouba likes this.
  17. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

The trick is that he MUST use a USB 2.0 port on his machine, regardless if he uses a CD-ROM, a DVD, or a thumb drive (my preference as well) with it while he is installing any version of Last7. I've never seen or heard of a machine or motherboard that didn't have at least one 2.0 port, no matter how many, or few , 3.0 or 3.1 ports it has. I think this has been true for the last 20 years?

In the meantime, he should also go ahead and copy over to a thumb drive the drivers he has discovered that his machine will need, because he will need those after he has successfully installed Last7. It should install successfully through the USB 2.0 port, but it will probably look crappy until the machine specific drivers (especially the display) are installed.

18. Glenn

LOL, the movie has in it USB 2.0 HUB listed twice, so the motherboard has USB 2.0 for sure.

You may need to go into BIOS and change your USB 2 to support Legacy devices so it doesn't require drivers.

http://www.nastrojkabios.ru/usb-port/legacy-usb-support.html

* Change it back to non Legacy once your OS is fully installed, this may save some power usage and/or increase the ports read/write speeds.

*** The very best port to use is the top USB 2 ports near the PS2 Keyboard/Mouse Socket (on most aging motherboards), these are usually on a separate HUB and work out of the box if the BIOS is set correctly.

-------------------------------------------------

I would prefer that you install it properly using a Legacy supported USB 2 port or if not that then a Sata or IDE DVD so you will have NO issues and wont have to do anything else but install your USB 3 drivers.

-------------------------------------------------
    But I could also write here how to apply the Tweaks and First Logon scripts manually:

* The $OEM$ folder would have copied before the setup reboot, so all you have to do is the following;

* Make sure you have USB 3 drives showing (or you wont be able to browse to it :p )
    browse to it X:\sources\$Scripts\
    Run each of the .cmd files one at a time in order until they're all complete.

W:\sources\$Settings\Settings.exe - run this and set your options, Owner, name of PC etc.

W:\sources\$ssWPI\ssWPI.exe
    Run the above and pick your preset and/or app selection and start the install, I recommend you pick Apply.LastOS.Tweaks.Host.File.&.Context.Menus_v2013.06.21_ssApp as this will make sure everything it working as it should.

Reboot your OS once apps are done.

------------------------------------------------

To fix Hibernate in windows 7 it's the same as I said for fixing it in Windows 10, but here's a link to help;
    https://appuals.com/enable-disable-hibernation-windows-7/

19. Glenn

Oh also before you EVER post anything on any forum, press CTRL + A, then CTRL + C, the a down arrow key once to un-highlight the text. that way if it fails to post, it'll be in your clipboard and easy to restore the text you spent time writing, I did it with the above post myself.

Oh and good luck sorting out how to make your PC do as it's told.

---- More useless information I am sharing :D ----

LastXP days had issue with Memory Card Readers having empty drives mounted stopping the Automation of the installation (error box, shown off screen/hidden), so you had to unplug them in most cases, I found a work around was to insert a SD card during install, this fixed it.

Windows Vista and 7 had issues with administration access during install time, Trouba and I found a fix within AutoUnattend.xml and still use it in Windows 10 modding today. Later in Life the USB 3 problems started to occur more and more.

Windows 8 had no hardware problems at all, it had Tiles, forced Store, No Start Button etc, so I pretty much skipped that until Windows 8.1, which was perfect, I Kept installing Windows 8.1 on peoples PC's until Late in the RS2 Version of Windows 10, but once the LTSB/LTSC versions with all the bloat removed were available, I switched to using that and install it on everyone's PC's now, in fact I haven't installed Windows 7 or 8 for years now (*Except in VM environments).

20. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

One of the reasons I dropped out lately... I needed Windows 7 to run the Falcon 4 combat flight sim. Having run into those "other" problems... I went into a different direction. I bought a Corsair 960GB NVME ssd drive, to run on this Z97-A/USB3.1 mboard.
    The motherboard manual says it has the M.2 socket 3 support for it. So I bought it, went to install it. The M.2 connector faces the Dram Memory slots, no more than 40mm away from them, so I could not insert the 22x80mm Corsair card into it!!!
    Got on the support chat for Asus, and he suggested this. https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M-2-X16-V2-Threadripper/dp/B07NQBQB6Z Ok, Amazon would get it to me in 2 days time, for $57 plus TAX(cough cough), but then I started dwelling on the fact that my wife loves Amazon Prime, and I pay the monthly rate, but I cannot seem to be able to get anything from them with overnight delivery as an option anymore. So then I explored the "other sellers" listed for the product. Bacially I became a mass emailer to them requesting they overnight it to me. It worked!

You have received a message from the Amazon Seller - Net To Zero

Order ID: 114-1156865-0069039

That guy is GREAT! I guess he could tell that it was important to me... and although he was in California, he was still close to the shipping cutoff time.
    He texted me the blow by blows on his progress, and finally I had a tracking number that said N Little Rock. I fought back against Amazon's "Not So Prime" Prime and I think I prevailed.

The Asus board is pretty cool. It allows up to 4 SSD memory cards to install that then are directly using the PCIe bus.
    I got it yesterday, but since I was in demand at my shop right through 6PM, I didn't get much of the time to put it into this new pc.
    This morning, I started reading about how complicated this was going to be using Windows 7... quoting Intel's document on the subject...

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...ives/Intel_6_Series_PCIeNVMe_InstallGuide.PDF

Windows Install Process
    The Windows 8.1* and Windows 10* operating systems offer native support for Intel® SSD 6 Series and
    have a standard installation process. To properly install, do the following:
    1. Ensure that your BIOS is configured to EFI (see section 2.2.2).
    2. Create a USB install key and copy over with ISO images into the “sources” directory.
    3. Boot the Windows operating system using the SSD.
    For the Windows 7* operating system, this support was added at a later time via a Windows Update. As a
    result, the Windows 7 installation will not detect the SSD unless this update is made.
    The two methods for installing the Windows operating system are:
    Method 1
    For this installation, you will create a Windows 7 installer to a USB Flash drive or rewriteable DVD media,
    update the Windows 7 install file with DISM commands, and replace the Windows 10 files with those in
    Windows 10 ISO.
    For more details, see Method 1: Windows 7 Installation using DISM with Windows Hotfix.
    Windows HOTFIX???
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-support-in-nvm-express-in-windows-7-and-wi
    and then you get a stop 07
    and have to apply this one...
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-you-install-hotfix-2990941-in-windows-7-sp
    both of which are now unavailable

So now unless I can find those patches... I'll have to install Windows 8.1.
    But I don't think Falcon 4.0 works on win 8.1.
    But here goes nothing.

Method 2: Windows 7 Installation with RST Driver
    This installation requires the Intel 6th Generation platform and newer with the PCIe* storage
    remapping option.
    NOTE: If your platform does not meet all requirements for this method, use Method 1.

Attached Files:

21. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

[​IMG]

OK, I was wrong. It looks like his ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1 motherboard does NOT have a native USB 2.0 port. That's a first for me.

Are you sure? The pictures on both the ASUS website and on Amazon look to me like the M2 connector faces AWAY from the memory slots so the Corsair card should fit. No?

Cheers and Regards

22. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

AB0A6555-B8D9-469B-B772-D384CEF7F1E2.jpeg I’ll have to take a 2nd look.
    I have some mixed results with windows 8.1. It’s saw the new SSD card and I was able to format it. Then when I clicked Install Windows I got a strange error.

23. Trouba

I've seen that particular error when there were issues with install drive or damaged/corrupted install.wim/esd. It is kind of a non-specific error, non-withstanding how specifically the error is worded, so the cause could very well be something else.

The following has probably nothing to do with your case, but I've been wanting to post this just in case I need to access the info somewhere else at some point (and it may help someone). These are notes I made at the time installing Last10 on an ASUS performance laptop:

24. Glenn

25. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

No, actually, you were and are correct. There are 3 usb port headers, that are USB 2.0. True, I was using one of those ports when I had the problems with everything USB disappearing on bootup. But I am past that now.
    You were so right...!!! The M.2 connector faced the other way, and I was so glad to find out I wasted a day/and a hundred bucks on getting the Hyper M.2 card. Once I plugged it(The Hyper M.2) card in, and got to setting it up, then I found out I was going to lose alot of USB 3.0 or 3.1 functionality, according to my Bios.
    So, in short, you are still perfect!!!
    I pulled the Hyper M.2 card out, put the Corsair NvMe card in where Asus intended it to go... and viola... I am off to the races with a blazingly fast windows 8.1.

Just a note to The Freezer, I got that wierd error because I left the Last7 DVD in the drive, and was installing Last8 from USB thumb drive. The shortcut generating process had me running Last7's setup, from Last8.