LastXP Discussion

Discussion in 'LastXP' started by The Freezer, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Now about my DOS vm, here are the sections that might have something to do with it.

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
    ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
    ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:c9:85:2d"
    ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
    ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"
    ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
    ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
    ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

and

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
    pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge4.functions = "8"
    pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
    pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
    pciBridge5.functions = "8"
    pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
    pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
    pciBridge6.functions = "8"
    pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
    pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
    pciBridge7.functions = "8"
    pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
    pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
    pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

All I know is I can ping the Guest from the Host, but DOS says there is no hardware to initialize.

2. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

That kind of thing is usually not necessary here. All of us are aware of any new post on the site. I do it by always entering the site via the "New Posts" link - available at the top left of most forum pages. And once they become interested in a thread they will be sure to check out any posts in it whenever they are here. They also have the option, as in most forums, for the forum to notify them via email of any new posts in a thread they are interested in. I NEVER choose this option in ANY forum I participate on, I feel that we all have stuff going on in RL and can use a break, after all, but to each their own. You can also mention the post to them in the Shoutbox, but that's usually not necessary, and can become annoying if you do it very often. If for some unexplained reason they don't respond and you are anxious for an answer, you can PM them. But that can also be annoying if done too often, and we usually prefer to keep as many of the conversations as possible as threads in the forum, for the benefit of all, unless the conversation is of more of a personal nature. Feel free to PM any of us whenever you like, it's not a problem and we try to be available. We'll suggest we move the conversation to the forum if we feel it's appropriate.

Johnrw likes this.
  3. bphlpt

@The Freezer can probably give you some suggestions on how best to do this, if you really want to. He is also currently using Win 8.1, and it seems to me it would be easy to set you up if you were both using the same torrent client, but I'm sure that's not necessary if you have a favorite one you prefer.

Johnrw likes this.
  4. bphlpt

Sounds like that would be interesting to see.

Johnrw likes this.
  5. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

It doesn't really matter which OS you're using. From whatever client you're using, either use "Force Seed/Resume" (available from right-clicking the torrent) or turn off the client's queueing -- alternatively, set the queueing limit for uploads or active torrents to infinite or a really high number.

Johnrw likes this.
  6. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I guess I didn't make my self very clear. Since I used BitTorrent to get 3 ISO's, once I downloaded them, I just left the files there. So I guess I just need a list of "Approved Torrents" by you guys. I don't want to brag, but last week, was a banner week for me. After all this time, I finally got Fiber Optic hooked to my house. 1000 MB service. (The max for residential service). I usually leave that machine running everyday.

On other fronts... I finally got networking working in my DosBox, which has Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Central Point Software's Desktop for Windows 3.1, And Long Filenames for Windows 3.1, I even have USB flash drive support(Finally!!!) in Dos and Windows, and now it is running SVGA at 1024x768x256 colors... so if any of you tried to play with my earlier dosbox, forget it, I will be uploading a fixed version soon. The funny thing about the flash drive support, I don't think it can read any disk larger than 127MB, and must be formatted FAT16. But that sure as hell beats using floppy disks, which I can't even buy anymore in a brick and mortar store. Just Online. And pickings there are scarce.
    New Egg had a box of Manufacturer Discontinued Verbatim disks, so I grabbed those but wow!

7. The Freezer

I am curious why'd you so desperately needed networking with that setup? The only thing I can think of at the moment is so that you could access files from a drive share on your network. Back then (the Win3.1-era), there weren't that many networked PC's and the Internet was scarce - via university or government -- if not expensive to access. We had dialup to BBS's, Compuserve, maybe AOL but those "networks" didn't require a local one, just a modem.

Oh, okay. Like BP, I had misunderstood what you meant. Those torrents you're looking for are actually posted in various places around the forum. Look for threads by me usually called "Something Collection". Such as "LastXP Collection" where you found this discussion (and LastXP v13, I think?). Anyway they are past -- and a few present -- public releases mostly by Glenn (aka, NightWolf81, ReturnOfNights, etc.).

The torrent-files I have in the archive I'm not sure how accurate or reliable they are; they still need updated. So I'd use the magnet-links in the postings and I'd start digging here: "Greatest Hits".

Enjoy!

Johnrw likes this.
  8. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

It's kinda funny you should ask that! Back in another life, in that era, I did networks, primarily for Windows 3.1 machines. I lived near Atlanta and as far as I could tell, I was the only guy in that city that could make Windows 3.1 actually network. There was one businessman, who sold a shitload of PC's to CNN, and he could not get them to network to the other CNN computers. He called me. I got them to work. So for a while there, I was the goto guy in Atlanta for Windows networking. I laughed at him, for selling PC's that he could not Close The Sale on. But I have forgotten much since those days. This little timetravel trip has shown me how much I have forgotten. As things turned out on the vmWare Dosbox, when I added networking to the SVGA 1024x768x256, it broke it badly. vmWare says to use the AMDPCNET dos/windows driver, but that driver renders the display unusable. I am this morning going to try an Intel driver, and if that does the same thing, then I will just have to keep 2 system.ini files... 1 for networking(on standard VGA), the other for 1024x768x256, which is a lot more usable than 640x480x16. But this I do in the order of being complete, which has nothing to do with the main reason I did this. I did this to prove how Microsoft, betrayed us geeks, in preference of getting Grandma on the PC. The Scripting of Desktop for Windows, was totally AWESOME. You could write a script, and do a Test Run of it with a click of a button. So if there are any automation freaks out there, they may find what I am saying to be true. And having a machine that can do automation like this, should of course be able to use the internet!!!

I was so drained yesterday, I could not make a video even though the opportunity was there. Maybe today I will.

bphlpt likes this.
  9. The Freezer

Okaaay. Awesome. But you really needed the networking for DOSBox with Win3.11 to work because ... ?

10. The Freezer

FYI, those magnet-links also include the trackers being used to seed them. ;)

Johnrw likes this.
  11. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Sounds easy enough, Thanks Freezer!

Well... I did use Windows for Workgroups 3.11. It's just supposed to work. I think I've decided to... just use the config.sys menuitem to pass on 2 different system.ini's to windows.

One at VGA resolution with a working network... not the default for sure... and one for more everyday use at SVGA.

I actually installed an Intel E1000 driver, which vmWare was expecting to provide... thinking it was a crappy AMD implentation, but the same thing happened. So by this point, I can safely say that vmWare has a bug. But I am using an old player version, so bugs are to be expected, I guess....

12. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I don't know if I uploaded it already, but I found LastXP v16.2.3 on a drive I didn't expect to find it on. Uploading it now. I think it involved 2 mini updates. Those folders were empty. Sent them too. Now if I could find the one I didn't upload already, that would be great.

The Freezer likes this.
  13. The Freezer

Apologies that I haven't posted any of the magnet-links and screenshots for the recent finds yet. It's been a busy couple weeks for me. :confused:

Johnrw likes this.
  14. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Does anyone know of a good program that can capture the pc screen and also mic input so I can make this video? I made a test with the iPhone, but it won't let the viewer READ the text on the monitor.

15. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Camtasia Studio is the one I use, it makes a .exe and uses a flash like system, so you can have a 30 minute video for about 4 to 10mb if the screen doesn't change too much. Or you can change it to video only and standard compression then apply.

Trouba and Johnrw like this.
  16. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I went to the website, I think, https://www.techsmith.com/products.html
    There was no Studio... so maybe I got the wrong Camtasia. But that clocks in at $250 a license.
    I just bought Action! for $20. I hope it is able to do what I need.

I'm gonna tell ya, using XP nowadays, got me banned over at Mozilla's IRC #firefox channel.
    And trying to get an Antivirus for it... well that was a real screaming match with me and Avast's tech support. They are brain dead. Parrot the corporate line about XP being dangerous to use.(Same thing the guy in Mozilla's irc claimed, and I laughed at him, and so he banned me from that channel) Actually, I accused the Mozilla people of being password nazis. To log in to bugzilla, I had to change my password... get this... they recommended I use a pass phrase. Complete with spaces in it. So I made up something I could remember... Sylvia is the love of my life
    And so I posted my password on IRC, when I was arguing with the guy, nickname was "glob", and so he got me banned. It has been a rough week. Me and XP, I'd rather fight than switch!!!!!! I did wind up buying ten licenses for Avast antivirus. It works on XP still. When you install it, use the Custom install option, of the offline installer, and uncheck everything. Otherwise it will break your internet connection.

Here is what I bought.
    Your purchased products
    1 x Action! - screen and game recorder
    Home Use
    Extended services

Total price: $21.71

Wouldn't you know it... Action! requires Windows Vista or later.
    It has been a rough week. :(
    But i MEAN IT, I would rather Fight than Switch!

17. Glenn

Johnrw likes this.
  18. Glenn

Johnrw likes this.
  19. bphlpt

John, I was going to suggest checking out MSFN for some pretty good advice regarding XP, but I noticed that you found them yourself. :) But really, only 2 posts in 8 years? LOL RyanVM was another decent place, but not very active these days.

Johnrw likes this.
  20. The Freezer

I remember Action! required an 8-bit Atari.... :p

Anyway, I never had any security issues whatsoever -- dangerous or otherwise -- on any of my XP machines. Still don't. The only problem now -- as you are discovering -- is upgrading software. They require minimum Win7 or higher. By itself that normally isn't the problem -- just stick with the old version. If it ain't broke, right?

Except they'll make the newer version(s) incompatible by changing the protocol or file-format and/or not backwards-compatible, etc. Whatever it takes to render the old version unusable now so you have to upgrade to the new version -- cha-ching. If you still want to use that app, that is.

Or your favorite sites are (artificially) incompatible with XP or older browser (usually the browser) and won't even let you on the site(s). Artificial because you can get on to the site(s) perfectly well if you have a user-agent switcher extension that fakes your OS/browser to something else -- mine is set to Windows 10 OS and the Edge browser. ;)

So, essentially -- directly or indirectly -- XP may not be broken but it has been rendered unusable.

The situation is very much similar with older Android devices now. Only it's worse with the apps. They make their service -- the one the app ties into -- totally unavailable to the older version but the new version won't install on your older Android OS which the OEM's made sure you can't upgrade to a newer OS unless you buy a new device with the newer OS. If you want that app, that is.

Or the battery is about to croak and the OEM's sabotaged that too by making the battery non-accessible or incompatible with other batteries and therefore too expensive to attempt to replace -- at nearly the cost of new device, perhaps? So you might as well buy a newer device then.

Essentially forcing you to abandon your perfectly good -- it ain't broke; just unusable -- phone or tablet to buy a brand new one. And they made sure you do it every couple years.

Bet the Automotive Industry is now wishing they'd thought of such an evil -- er, ingenious plan.

Johnrw likes this.
  21. bphlpt

They have, and they're doing something about it. They're even getting little things changed, like the cans of Freon that you can buy if your AC has a slow leak, requiring extra cables and connectors to be able to use them. My auto parts guy says he's seen many different examples of that practice. He says it's part of an overall scheme to force you to take your vehicle to a "factory-authorized"service center. I believe it. I've even seen that in some states the manufacturers are trying to get laws passed to make it illegal to work on your own vehicles. I saw where John Deere was doing that for farm equipment. The manufacturers say they are doing it for safety reasons and for the environment, but it's all about the money. It's forcing folks to join the "Right to Repair" movement. See John Deere Just Swindled Farmers out of Their Right to Repair and You Bought that Gadget, and Dammit, You Should Be Able to Fix It.

Johnrw and The Freezer like this.
  22. The Freezer

I'm sure the Diesel Doctor knows all about that! ;)

Johnrw likes this.
  23. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Fraps says the free version is limited... but doesn't say to what. I can get the Registered version for $37 via paypal. So what is the limited versions limitts?

24. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Actually, yes I do! In 2014, the diesel engines in low priced Kenworth and Peterbilt trucks went to a very devious strategy. My truck software hacker, the best in the world, said "The problem is not that I can't hack their software, but once I do... the software knows nothing about the truck you are trying to work on. It must be downloaded, It only knows how to retrieve the vin. Then it uses "Dealer" credentials, to log into Paccar's internet servers and download everything about that truck." Without dealer credentials, I can't do anything to the truck. But I still know how to remove the emission systems on the Paccar engines. So I tell all my customers about Evil Paccar engines. I say, "If you must drive a Kenworth or a Peterbilt, get one with a Cummins engine!"

I think I am going to try and put a class action lawsuit against MS. Microsoft Telling Old OS users to get fucked-000.png Microsoft Telling Old OS users to get fucked-001.png Microsoft Telling Old OS users to get fucked-002.png

They just must not be allowed to throw us users to the curb like this!!! It feels like they just want me to go ahead and just die. It is what I used every day for 19 years now. I am too old to be relearning how to redo things I already know how to do. (At least that is what I am going to claim.)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  25. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

It was brought on by this, from my new Antivirus from Avast. Avast Showing my pc vulnerability to WannaCry worm.png