LastXP Discussion

Discussion in 'LastXP' started by The Freezer, Mar 4, 2018.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Hah! Now you'll have to hide from John Deereᵀᴹ.

Johnrw likes this.
  2. The Freezer

By any chance you wouldn't happen to have a copy of "LastXPv17DVD.iso", would you?

Or maybe even "LastXP v15"?

Johnrw likes this.
  3. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Funny thing is, I don't work on them, Mostly Caterpillar, Detroit and Cummins... an occasional Volvo/Mack Truck, and International. But on the first 3, I can't be beat!
    But if it don't have a fifth wheel, I just pass on it.

4. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Nope, All I have is v12, v13, 16 and 16.2 which I uploaded to the ftp yesterday.
    I saw that v15 was available for $30 somewhere.
    I'd fork it over, to help out.

But where do I get his latest Last10 iso?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  5. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

BeyondCompare... well I found that over at scootersoftware.com but it is trialware. Is it that good that I should put the time into evaluating it? $30/$60 licenses.

6. The Freezer

No problem; thought I'd ask.

Likely it's a scam. :coffee:

His latest is Apr. 11th, 2019: Last10 LTSC x64 RS5 2019.04. Also here.

The torrent/magnet would be your best bet for the faster download -- has about 6 seeders currently.

Johnrw likes this.
  7. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

We all started out as a bunch of reckless pirates, and we all still pretty much hate what MS has become, but we're now mosty legit. LOL

While you look around the site to get to know us better, here are a few threads that might help you see what we've been up to:

What was your first CPU purchase (A history)
    History of LastOS
    Sharing Is The Point?
    Some of my Thoughts
    Making A Really Useful Windows 8.1

Open Source Licensing

We want to provide folks the tools so that they can make their computing OS environment work for them the way they want it to, and run the software they need. Ideally, they can make the mods themselves to the OS they already have, rather than provide a ready-made release the way LastXP was set up. And you don't have to wait for someone else to do it. The apps in the Application Repository run on most Windows OS, and SetupS, ssWPI (ssWPI Download), Last7.Tweaks, Last10.Tweaks, ClassicStart, etc can make your OS look and feel the way you want, just like LastXP made you feel.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2019
    Glenn, Johnrw and The Freezer like this.
  8. The Freezer

Do we still have Glenn's posting somewhere of his story -- history, hah! -- behind how he got started in modding and his LastXP series?

Johnrw likes this.
  9. bphlpt

I think you mean the "History of LastOS" in the admin discussion area? I'm not sure why it's in that forum, I haven't read it completely lately, but I didn't think it was my place to move it to the regular discussion area. :)

Johnrw and The Freezer like this.
  10. The Freezer

Yes, I think that was it. I'll see about moving it to a public thread.

EDIT --
    Okay, moved: History of LastOS

Johnrw likes this.
  11. bphlpt

Cool. Added the link to my post above to keep everything together.

12. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

You guys are freakin awesome.
    Now I am really going to the other side of the house!!
    Good Night!

13. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

How come the site don't use https:// ???

Not Secure LastOS.png

14. bphlpt

We do, and can connect with it perfectly fine, but apparently we don't require its use. I had not noticed before. I guess we should consider that?

Johnrw likes this.
  15. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

Sorry @The Freezer I never realized I'd not re uploaded v17 DVD

Code:
    ArchiveS/OS/LastXP/v17/LastXPv17DVD_www.appzpoint.net.iso
    Currently uploading it to Vergitek Server

3.69GB

CRC32: 38F0FD1A
    MD5: 64E17B7EA946E74BBFECEC6AC13E97FE
    SHA-1: CBED784E6B027E1EE149FAA2ABF7D7E4040459D2

Fully uploaded now

16. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

I think you have the repo links now, there is a *enhanced* version of BC there ;)

Johnrw likes this.
  17. The Freezer

There were some issues with trying to implement it; but as BP said, we don't really require it. We're not Google or Amazon. ;)

That protocol really just encrypts the url traffic & cookies. Anyone eavesdropping on our sites' traffic would only get bored. The forums on the otherhand do a pretty decent job of guarding against things like spam-bots, etc. Even your email is shielded from other users (and bots of course). There are some "one-click" HTTPS solutions out there and someday we may get there but at the moment HTTPS has a low priority.

But do yourself a favor and install EFF's "HTTPS Everywhere" extension/add-on for your browser. It still won't give you HTTPS for sites like ours that don't have an HTTPS version; but it does force https if a site has it.

And if you're really worried, get yourself a VPN. :)

Also more stuff we've been busy chatting about:

Johnrw likes this.
  18. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Cool. Very Cool. I'll be sure to try it and use it.
    Thank You.

19. The Freezer

@Johnrw:
    You'll be happy to know that LastXP_v15, v16, & v16.2 all checked out okay. I've got screen-shots and will post links to everything here in a little bit. Again, it was greatly appreciated and thank you. (y)

I was wondering how you found that on the wayback machine? I tried Google but it led me to a different directory than yours but with the exact same content.

Johnrw likes this.
  20. The Freezer

Though quite a list of OS's to choose from for those Raspberry Pi's:
    • FreeBSD
    • Linux
    • NetBSD
    • OpenBSD
    • Plan 9
    • RISC OS
    • Windows 10 ARM64
    • Windows 10 IoT Core
    But it is interesting that they've included a couple flavors of Windows 10.

Johnrw likes this.
  21. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

@The Freezer ,
    I forget how I got there. It was a simple search for it. I am glad they checked out! I knew they would, as they came from a backup of a backup, of a backup... all the way back to 2006. On my wife's machine, that she and I don't seem to use very much. But I also found some original torrents. I will upload those too.

Now, where have I been for the last few days? I am pulling my hair out trying to get this vm to have network drivers and networking!
    I explained it here:
    https://communities.vmware.com/message/2888935#2888935

I am thinking that you guys must be aces in vm tech... but I wanted to do it without asking for any help. If nobody answers me there with an answer, I guess the vm is sunk.
    Dos 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Central Point Software's Desktop for Windows 3.1... It is all installed. I got the usb working in DOS, which hadn't been invented yet!!!
    CDRom Working too. Just can't get the network drivers to work. I am using vmWare Player 3.1, which has been in my win32 as long as I can remember. I think I am gonna ftp it to you guys, hopefully you know how to fix the networking. I think it is all of 100MB.

Don't get me wrong... I am still going to work on that vm... I just don't have the vmware skill to get the network working in that old player. 3.1 is ancient.
    But since I don't know what advantages I get for moving up, I don't. But what is the last version that runs in windows XP? I know Glenn had left this in LastXP v13...

LastXP v13

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

So I know you guys know what you're doing with this stuff!!!
    I ftp'ed it to the same place I put those LastXP's. Help!!!

22. bphlpt

I'm confused. Nothing against RyanVM or his site, since I've spent a lot of time there, but what does http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/ ("RyanVM's MSFN Files Page"), have to do with LastXP v13 or anything else? I'm assuming you meant to post a link to somewhere else?

Johnrw likes this.
  23. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

If you have LastXP v13 running, and you go to Computer->Properties->then click Support... That is what it says. (I copied it from there directly). I don’t know why it was there, could have been a joke for all I know. But I am sure rON tested a lot of the software in LastXP in vm’s. So rather than wait for VMWare community to answer my questions, I thought I’d bring it over to my new pals.

But, I noticed the USB driver wasn’t loading, which I fixed by copying config.002 to config.sys.
    [Edit] I fixed it and reUploaded the .vmdk file. USB flash drive support fixed.

But there are trade-offs, I went to Walmart at 3 o’clock in the morning… To try and find a small USB drive. The smallest they had was 16 GB. So I Booted up Linux, used gparted to make a small partition of 2GB. But even that was too much for the driver, which has a max of 128MB.

The reason this was so difficult… Is because there are no VMware tools for win 311. Or DOS. So initially… All I had was the 3 1/2 inch floppy disk to go back-and-forth inside and out of the VM.

A word of advice, don’t put two partitions on a USB thumb drive… If you’re going to be using it in windows. It freaks windows out. I actually had a drive somehow become locked in read only mode. Nothing could get rid of the read only. I wound up just throwing it in the garbage.

I put the .vmx file up on the post at vmWare. Along with a screenshot, of the boot up, of where Intel’s driver cannot detect the network card. Weird thing is… I can ping the Guest OS from the Host.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  24. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

It has long been my contention that, Symantec bought Central Point Software, and closed them down within six months, to acquire the programmers that wrote Desktop for Windows 3.1. They closed it down, and gave those programmers a job at Microsoft. When I saw what those geniuses did, I was like Holy Shit!!! Bill Gates is terrified of this!!!

My personal belief, is they designed the UI for windows 95, and then they probably taught a bunch of other MS programmers how to do object oriented programming correctly… I believe they went on to develop the windows scripting host, and then windows power shell. I mean I’m really going out on a limb there, but it’s just from my observation of the strengths and weakness of the later versions of windows. If you look at the scripting of CPS Desktop for Windows 3.1… It is very similar to windows scripting host. It is actually superior to it, because there were so many helpful tools to actually use it.

I guess I’ll make a little video about it.

Can I tag @Glenn & @The Freezer in this?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  25. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I think DuckDuckGo gave me a link to LastXP v14, and then I did a search of their site, and found the LastXP v22 RON Core there too. I have been seeding the 3 .iso's I downloaded on my
    Windows 8 machine. (It runs totally silently in my bedroom). I'd like to seed them all!!! But I don't know how to do that yet.