LastXP Discussion

Discussion in 'LastXP' started by The Freezer, Mar 4, 2018.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

LastXP v22 USB Edition (RON.Core):
    • Torrent: LastXPv22_USB.(RON.Core).iso
    • MD5: 14bc0948d13d21d826543ef372544ae6
    • Code:
      magnet:?xt=urn:btih:80EB26524ABC4B5634993AB8D0DEE36854E2734B&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce

2. The Freezer

LastXP v22 SOX (Secure, Open XP):
    • Torrent: LastXPv22_SOX.(Secure.Open.XP).iso
    • MD5: 1d16c6d32b116b9310819dac48b7dff2
    • Code:
      magnet:?xt=urn:btih:BA54B8AE9C7E982FA23DCB12FBC821550D3B70C3&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce

3. The Freezer

NFO:

LastXP v22
    by ReturnOfNights
    with help from Soporific
    and Team LXP.
    http://sharingisthepoint.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Hi there, welcome to the new LastXP. LastXP is aimed at home users who wish to mod an OS simply and to suit them. It has been specially programmed to allow easy modding as well as choosing what apps to include/remove and which options you wish at the very start of the installation.

It's probably a good idea to try this out in a Virtual Machine app first, to get an idea of what it can do.

If you need any support, please visit the website location above.

++-> THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW <-++

** CD/DVD ISO Builders **

- This is available from the Autorun Menu. This allows you to totally customize this DVD for your own needs. You get to choose nearly all the things you would normally have to change after installation is complete including: Username, Organization, Computer Name, Network Name, Regional Setting, Language, Time Zone, Windows components, and many other Windows settings.

- so, really, the first thing you should do is run the utility, it will make the new DVD image at the location of your choice.

- there are two main options: CD Shell Menu and Ez Boot Menu, and 2 other standard options which you shouldn't need. Even though it says that CD Shell is recommended, these days its the other way around. Ez Boot is the recommended option if you have relatively new hardware, use CD Shell for older machines. Ez Boot uses a graphical interface, while CD Shell uses DOS style text.
    ** Things you should know about during installation of the OS **

- you may want to print these notes out before you install the OS to have them handy. There is also a Screenshots folder with pictures that may be useful.

- the first part of the install which ends after the old style blue screen part of setup finishes copying all the files needed to install the OS and reboots the machine for the first time -- this is all standard there's nothing different about this stage of setup.
    ** Language selection and Windows components **

- the first screen you see after your machine reboots has Language selection options, and you can remove a range of usually unnecessary Windows components. It's recommended hanging around for this screen to appear and setting the options for your circumstances.
    ** Driverpacks and Screen Resolution**

- next comes the Driverpacks selection screen. Driverpacks are collections of drivers that remove the need to ever need to use your original driver disc (that's probably out-of-date) again to get your PC up and running. You may still need it for rarer devices but the driverpacks do most of the current drivers currently available. If you find you have devices that didn't install correctly, maybe try the install again without the driverpack that relates the the problem devices and use your original driver disc.

- there is also an option to 'Keep The Drivers' -- selecting this will place all the drivers from your selection of driverpacks in your Windows directory so any future devices are automatically installed. Please note this could take up lots disk of space but we all have lots these days so its not a bad thing to do at all, it can be quite useful.

- finally, you can select the type of screen resoluion you have which wil help determine the best resolution to set when the install finally finishes.

- OK, once you press 'Start Now' the driverpacks start extracting and the next screen loads. It says 'Auto Select in [Timer]' where [Timer] counts down from 240 seconds. This means that if you don't click the Window within the timer period, the default application will be installed.
    ** ssWPI - the applications menu system **

- OK, this is probably the place where you need these instructions. The next screen after the driverpacks is the ssWPI screen. This is where you get to choose which applications and OS extras you want installed. It is HIGHLY recommended you wait around for this unless you have already made a custom version with your choices already selected.

- OK, there's lots you can do in the apps menu screen but the main thing you need to know is the difference between "SetupS" apps and "ppApp" apps. The main difference is that SetupS apps are installed onto your machine in the standard way, ie the programs are installed into your Program Files folder (usually c:\program files) and you should be able to see the app in the list of apps that are possible to uninstall. This happens without you having to do anything, of course ;) ppApps are best thought of as portable apps that are part of a system that is designed to make life much easier with regard to your favourite apps.

- SetupS apps are coloured white in the list of apps, and they appear first in aplhabetical order. The ppApps are coloured yellow and are next. OK, there is a special type of ppApp that is designed to be used on Live OS discs and they live in a folder called 'ppAppsLive'. These can also be used on a machine with a standard OS and so they are also listed in the Apps menu. These are also coloured yellow, but you can tell the difference between the normal ppApps and the ones designed to be used on a Live CD because they are 2 separate lists that follow each other. The list of yellow coloured apps goes from A-Z twice -- the first lot are the ppApps and the second lot are the ppAppLive apps. You can also tell when you click on a title by the location at the bottom of the description.

Please note: when you have finished with the ssWPI screen, the driverpacks could still be extracting - don't be freaked out by this, it is intended.​

** Billboard Setup

After you have finished with ssWPI, there's nothing else you need to hang around for, the next time you are asked for input as after setup has finished installing the OS. To help pass the time there are some games you can play available a short time after the billboard setup screen appears. You may lose the use of your mouse and keyboard briefly (if they are USB) while their drivers are installed but you get the use back after a few minutes.​

** The list of Last XP features :-

LastXP's features are added to make installing XP as simple and complete as possible, many are included:
    • Install From DVD
    • Use DVD Autorun to Install Applications
    • Optional Boot Menus
    • Fully Automated (Optional)
    • Component Removal Selection
    • Language And TimeZone Selection
    • Select Only the Driver Packs You Need
    • ssWPI Selection Menu Options and Apps
    • RocketDock Available During Setup
    • Fader Screens for Visual Effects
    • Post Install Settings
    • Up To Date
    • Tweaked To Perfection
    • Visually Improved
    • Addon Tools
    • Customize Your ISO
    • Create Your Own Silent and Portable Apps
    Autorun Menu Features:
    • Install Apps (ssWPI)
    • Tweaks and Services
    • Settings (Re run settings even on non LastXP machines)
    • Browse DVD
    • Install Office 2007 (Hidden if not found on the DVD)
    • CD\DVD ISO Builder (Customize your ISO before U burn it)
    • Hiren's Win Tools (Runs Hiren's Menu)
    • Run ppApps From Disk - Lists all the exe files in the ppApps)
    ISO Builder Features:
    • Copy from a Virtual or Real DVD to a folder you Create on your PC (any drive)
    • Change the default settings for all included tools available during install
    • Apply a default theme to your ISO
    • Add new Apps/Updates/Mods and Themes by dragging and dropping them onto the Special Box
    • Make Presets for your Default or other optional Presets for the ssWPI
    • Set the Default Workgroup, Owners etc
    • Disable the Fader and other effect to suit Older machines
    • Test the Theme you just applied by using the Preset builder
    • Make ISO to a location you set and chose the boot option that best suits you
    • Set default Driverpack Selection and Language/Location/Timezone
    Things Available on Dos Boot Menu:
    • LastXP (Extra SATA/RAID support)
    • LastXP (Standard XP Drivers Only)
    • Soporific's LiveXP (SDI Boot)
    • Hiren's BootCD 9.8
    • True Image
    • Disk Director
    • And many other tools

4. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Hey Freezer,

I've found the two releases you mentioned above:

(1)
    File: LastXPv22.iso
    Size: 4.36 GB (4,689,557,504 bytes)
    MD5: 14BC0948D13D21D826543EF372544AE6

(2)
    File: LastXP_v22_SOX.(Secure.Open.XP).iso
    Size: 1.60 GB (1,728,641,024 bytes)
    MD5: 1D16C6D32B116B9310819DAC48B7DFF2

But I've also found:

(3)
    File: LastXPv22.iso
    Size: 4.36 GB (4,689,559,552 bytes)
    MD5: ABB6B6905DF1B4EDA0C0573B1506E3A9

Normally I would assume the larger file is more likely to be correct, but when I expand both (1) and (3), they both expand to 10,498 Files, 620 Folders, 4.39 GB (4,717,361,107 bytes). Any idea why the difference? Since I've not tried to install either of them, can you please confirm which is the real one and which I should ignore/trash? Or does it matter? TIA :)

For what it's worth, I also found:

(4)
    File: LastXP_v22_SOX.(Secure.Open.XP).iso
    Size: 916 MB (960,549,816 bytes)
    MD5: 85CA54D52A1705745E18FC997F44B89B

which is an obviously damaged file. Looking in it using 7-Zip, it has the same named files inside as the other ISO, but it won't expand correctly. I probably got that one from a download that got aborted and I just didn't catch it at the time. Just shows that anyone can have a bum download that then won't install. :)

The Freezer likes this.
  5. The Freezer

Where? I'm curious. (I'm assuming from your collection, right?)

Unfortunately without the original torrent-file(s) to verify them against, there's no way to tell for sure which was the real release. But I bet you'll find that if you run something like BeyondCompare on both those expanded iso's that they'll both be identical.

Back then, before I knew better, burning to DVD's (+R's specifically, if I remember correctly) did some sort of padding which, if you didn't turn off those settings, would of course give different/false checksums when you re-created the .iso file from that DVD. Though I took great care to verify my .iso checksums for eXPerience's DVD's matched what he'd released, that was well after I knew better and had already burned quite a few LastXP disks and deleted the .iso's because back then hard-drive space was at a premium. And even those were RW's and had been over-written when Glenn released a new version which he'd do frequently or someone at AppzPoint would release their modded variation (with some improvements or fixes) on the same version as Glenn's.

So this may be the case with my LastXP "collection". At this point we have to take what we can find.

Fortunately though, these .iso's have been tested -- the checksums merely a courtesy to ensure these copies are the same -- as I make my way through the rest of collection (and post my results) ;)

Johnrw likes this.
  6. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Yes.

That's what I figured. To try and keep things as uncluttered and organized as possible, I would probably just as soon only keep one version of the two, (1) and (3) above, unless you can think of a reason to do otherwise. So I'll trash (3) unless I hear from you to keep it.

Johnrw likes this.
  7. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

The original torrent release will not be re-seeded, so best delete that one ;) Keep freezers version, he has used XP way more than I have or will again.

Johnrw likes this.
  8. The Freezer

Not many know this, but the original torrent-file can actually be used a checksum hash checker with zero seeders or peers (all without downloading a single byte). Naturally, this trick doesn't work with magnet-links without at least one seeder or peer to obtain the torrent's manifest from; which has the torrent-content details such as file name, sizes, & checksums. A torrent-file already has this info as its payload whereas a magnet is only the dht-info-hash of the torrent so it can be located in the wild.

Very few sites host torrent-files anymore just the magnet-links. For example, I may find a torrent (magnet) on ThePirateBay, but it would be useless to me unless there is at least one peer out there with the torrent manifest keeping it "alive". I think Demoniod might be the only (reputable) one left still hosting torrent-files.

I should have been more diligent in holding onto those original torrent-files when I had the chance.

I've only been mentioning it because if you or anyone else still has these torrent-file(s) available, just send me copies... no re-seeding required :cool:

Johnrw likes this.
  9. The Freezer

Well, hey. I found LastXP v22 (torrent-file) on Demoniod... and the checksum for that matches the one I have. :)

Johnrw and Glenn like this.
  10. The Freezer

LastXP v22 USB Edition (RON Core):

Johnrw likes this.
  11. The Freezer

desktop2.png

Surprisingly, it seems I have two versions of "LastXP v22 USB Edition (RON core)". The first one, "LastXPv22.iso" (pictured above) looks to actually be the initial release of the USB edition -- instead of the unpatched v22 previously thought to be. But it appears to be incomplete as it's missing some files/folders that the other one has. And there are some patch files (released later) that seem to fix the first one to create the second one, "LastXPv22_USB.(RON.Core).iso". :what:

I'm not sure, and will have to test run those patch files and see.

--EDIT: Yes, this appears to be the case. After adding the patch/fix files, the two were identical.
    (I've removed the torrent info for the incomplete version)

m345 likes this.
  12. Josty

Josty Guest

Probably a stupid question, but how do I activate an installation? Mine asks for a product key. Did I do something wrong?

13. BinaryBob

BinaryBob Guest

to whom it may concern,
    I had recently DLed the LastXPv22_USB.(RON.Core).iso verion of Last XP,and have had erros trying to install the iso image to a usb drive with WinToFlash;I get the error that...the following files are missing from the i386 folder:NTDLL.DLL,KERNEL32.DLL,and TXSETUP.Sif files!!

I noticed a usb sub folder in the root of the LastXP iso image(no read me file however...: /),and would like to know how i may use that folder to install Last XP to a USB flash drive successfully?!?

14. MMcBride87

MMcBride87 Guest

Can someone share v17 and v17.2.2? Thank you

15. The Freezer

You're good to go on v17.2.2 but I don't currently have a copy of v17 yet.

16. MMcBride87

MMcBride87 Guest

Thank you Freezer.

17. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Surprisingly enough I found a old DVD with "lxp21kay_buildertools.part1.rar", all files copied from the DVD (by a small margin ) BUT if needed I can upload them - just show me the path :)

EDIT: Found LXP v.16.23 - any info on this release?

18. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I would love a copy of LastXP v16, I do NOT have that one, I am also missing v15, No real reason I need them, but I do miss having them all (stupid magnetic HDD failures). as for building tools, very few people apart from Kay, Justin, Kazz, Ghost, PITA and myself really used them. So I don't think we need any builders except the v21,22 one as it was an incremental change from all previous ones.

As for where to put them, you have admin powers here still so check this thread for where to put them (Under Team/Ghost would do) --- Actually I'll PM you the link as it's not something I want public :D

19. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Well to my amazement there is a copy of LXP 14.11 - This version is from AppzPoint.net time WOOOW ...this DVD reads fine, tho the 16.23 does not read, kinda in limbo land, I will find if I can clean it up.

20. The Freezer

I would be interested in a copy of that LXP v14 :)

21. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

@The Freezer - Sure - if this is what no one has then I can start upload any time ..

[​IMG]

EDIT: I also have v20, 21 and 22 , but depends on what is in the archive ?? - @The Freezer - look in the FTP for Ghost

22. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

So I found that all my black labeled RiDATA dvd I burned will not read - 5 of them - so the 16.2.3 is no way I can get it, imma do a search ...

23. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Well, I am done with the 16.2.3, as it will not read , soo as @The Freeze asked 14.11 is going into space and landing in a folder on FTP and "kay builder for xp 21", and windows 1.0, 2.03, and 3.11, I found stuff I did not know I had, Last 7 builder and other XP stuff .. But I will keep digging in my ole dvd's and see what I can find.

The Freezer likes this.
  24. The Freezer

You're doing the best you can. Anything you dig up is more than what we had before. :)

EDIT: Thanks, I'm grabbing LXP v14.11 now.

25. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I do have v20, 21, and 22 , but I do remember a issues with 1 of them. I think it was the password issue .. @Glenn can maybe set this correct