LastXP Discussion

Discussion in 'LastXP' started by The Freezer, Mar 4, 2018.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

They'll all be available again here shortly. That server's actually been up for a couple days; but I've been slowly transitioning all the torrents to qBittorrent instead. I like that much better than uTorrent -- which had previously been seeding all the LastOS stuff. qBittorrent is much more stable and way easier to use than uTorrent ever is/was. That and it's open-source and ad-free. ;)

Glenn likes this.
  2. The Freezer

Sorry about that. They'll all be available again here shortly. I had been slowly transitioning all the torrents to qBittorrent instead.

3. 6100m

6100m Member

Hey guys LastXP v17 torrent is dead, can someone reseed?

4. The Freezer

• "LastXPv17DVD.iso" is dead for me as well -- it does show one seeder though (but it isn't me).

• "LastXPv17.2.2.iso" is still active (and healthy). But it is very much different than the above (v17.1.1, I think)

5. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I just downloaded and installed https://ia800703.us.archive.org/15/items/LastXPv22USB.RON.Core/LastXPv22_USB.(RON.Core).iso
    into a VM. It was Very Slick!!! The Freezer, man I was so glad I started out on this Wild Goose Chase I think I called it earlier today. I was expecting to play solitaire, but played the chess game. (I was pissed when the installer wiped my game out in the middle!!!) The file I got matched the MD5 you gave for it.

But since I am tired, at the end of this day, I'll just say On a scale of 1 to 10 it was 20. Totally freakin awesome.

Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  6. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Hello,
    I have LastXP v16 & 16.2 on disc, though I never used them. (I wasn't sure who was putting it together, I was a fan of rON's work)
    If anyone still needs them just say so.

On a side note, I know nothing about how this stuff was put together by you folks. But I have been using LXP Combined v13 all these years since... but after a SP3 update, all the customizations to the start bar, and My Computer Properties are gone. Probably more than that. I would love some help getting that look back on my machines. I am an old man now, and I refuse to "adopt" all the versions of Windows since XP. They are XP with a labotomy.

Here is what SP3 Start Bar Looks like

LastXP Combined SP3 Start Bar.png

Here is LXP v13 beauty!!!
    LastXP Combined Start Bar.png

7. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

@Johnrw
    Please, either do not upgrade to SP3 (Stay on its default SP2) or use a pre modified Windows XP SP3 such as LastXP 20, 21 or 22, the theme should be included in the themes drop down tab as LastXP Dark or LastXP Black, so you'll look the same but be using a SP3 source by default.

As for you sharing LastXP v16.2, I will ask politely if @The Freezer can send you a PM with FTP access for you to upload it (with resume support) :) - let me know if you aren't used to using a FTP client and I'll come up with another method.. I would really like to get LastXP v16 for the archives here.

If the theme isn't included by default - look at the theme packs options within ssWPI on the disk.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Johnrw likes this.
  8. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Trust me, I would not have applied SP3 to those machines if I didn't absolutely need to. They are work machines, that have expensive software programs installed that mandated SP3 be installed or they would not run at all! So my only hope for those machines is to learn how to make the mods myself, or find returnOfNights and get the How To Restore the mods after the fact. I was forced into this... once MS stopped selling keys for the OS. I have purchased keys from online sellers, that will work for a few months, but then for no reason other than the seller has resold my key to someone else, the OS claims I have pirated version of Windows XP. I never figured out how to use LastXP's disc, to do Windows repairs on the OS itself, so I have gone to great lengths to make sure that just never happens.

I tried that out, but there is no ssWPI folder on v13. There is a folder named AppsWPIw on the root folder... but i saw nothing for Themes there. Here is a pic of the root folder on the Dvd disc.
    LastXP Dvd Disc Folder structure.png

I am still on probation here (my posts require a moderator approval before being displayed to the forum), but sure thing, if I can upload LastXP v16 using ftp, I will do that!
    It is on a DVD -R disc, so it should make an identical md5 to the original, I hope.

9. The Freezer

Here's our FTP info for uploading contributions. Anything uploaded there will be checked for malware, of course. And then verified to make sure contents match what's on the tin. :)
    Host: ftp.vergitek.com
    Port: 21
    Username: contribute
    Password: lastosupload

This is the FTP info for our general public releases. You won't be able to use it for uploads as it is strictly read-only; but versus using the Greatest Hits web-directories, it is certainly much easier to access the files if you're FTP-savvy. ;) .
    Host: ftp.vergitek.com
    Port: 21
    Username: anony
    Password: lastospublic

Johnrw and Glenn like this.
  10. Glenn

@Johnrw

Here.png

Copy the content off LastXP v13 from - to:
    X:/WPI/GUIOEM/Windows/Resources/Themes to C:/Windows/Resources/Themes

Or grab it off LastXP 20 or above - I would recommend using a SP3 theme file tho as there may be some issues using the SP2 ones, this was more of a problem between Windows 7 tho, so may be ok still.

X:/MyOEM/$RootGUI/Windows/Resources/Themes to C:/Windows/Resources/Themes

Download a uxtheme.dll patcher for XP sp3 such as below:
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ultrauxthemepatcher.html

If the above doesn't really support XP you may have to try this untested by me one or find another one from a trusted source (https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sp3_uxtheme_patcher.html)

Run it patching the file (DO THE BACKUP, you may need to restore it using safe mode or even from the Bootable PE if anything fails)

Once you have the themes and have the dll's patched then you will be able to apply it... you should already have the wallpaper installed as you upgraded to sp3 from sp2.

Enjoy

Glenn aka ReturnOfNights

Johnrw likes this.
  11. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Glenn, are you saying you are him, ReturnOfNights?
    I don't want to come across as deft... but that looks to be what you did say!!!
    (So I am going to respond as though that is what you just said.)
    How the fuck are you? Man, what you did was so totally fucking awesome!!! You changed my LIFE!!! You gave me a Windows XP I could truly count on!
    I shared it, but only to cool people. People I thought had value. I guess I failed the Sharing Is The Point test there, but I didn't want the whole world to get around M$'s pay to play scheme.
    I had signed up to that website (sharingisthepoint.org), hell, they used to send me Happy Birthday emails on my birthday.

Here I dug up the last one they sent me.
    On Sun, Jan 1, 2017, 4:40 AM Sharing is the Point <webmaster@sharingisthepoint.org> via box713.bluehost.com
    ----------------
    Hello johnrw,

We at Sharing is the Point would like to wish you a happy birthday today!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Since my real birthday is January 4, I figured using 1/1 was close enough.
    Where was I? Oh yeah, I had signed up to sharingisthepoint.org, to try to get to know you. But you got banned there too!!! You don't know how bummed out that made me... the GREATEST MAN ALIVE was now missing in action!!!!!!! MIA. I never thought I would find you again! It was just another layer to add to my jaded look on life.

Good guy takes on M$, single handedly, and gets driven underground. How far underground, I didn't know.

So you lived, Microsoft didn't have a Navy Seal team kill you dead... which I wouldn't put past them. Really.
    Just knowing you are alive... all these years later... REALLY MAKES MY DAY!!!

Well... RON, I would love to know what it was like, for you, what legal actions M$ threatened you with if any... did they carry any threats out...
    But, the most important thing for me to say, is... Thank You! For your work, your love, your hopes and dreams, and what you combined those into.
    LastXP!!! I know there were other people involved, and I also want to say Thank You to them as well.

...AND...
    Now that I have made a total ass out of myself... I think I am going to just hit Post Reply. It's Friday evening here.
    Glenn, you are a GREAT MAN. Don't ever doubt that fact. And if you ever do, come find me. I will blow Sunshine Up Your Ass till you feel right as rain!

Now I have to try and use what you just layed on to me, and try and restore my machines. I will be a while doing that, but LastXP v16, & 16.2 are both on their way to you.

bphlpt likes this.
  12. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Yeah, we've been keeping him hidden here on a very short leash to keep him out of trouble. LOL j/k :)

He's been our fearless leader for quite a few years, while we've tried to learn from him as best we could. Look around here at LastOS to get to know us a little bit, then please contribute in whatever way you can. These days, most of our efforts are regarding apps that can then be used with any of the various versions of LastOS, or most of the versions of MS OS, for that matter.

Welcome, and glad to have you on board!

The Freezer and Johnrw like this.
  13. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Glenn,

:\MyOEM doesn't exist on v13.
    $RootGUI is a variable, for what? In a Script?
    I guess you have been spending a lot of time on Linux? I say that because of the forward slashes.
    Windows is the land of backslashes. :)

14. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

The honor is mine!
    Thank You!
    Of course I will try and look over what you people have done around here. See if I can help.

15. bphlpt

If I interpret Glenn's post correctly, that was referring to :
    FYI, if you're hoping to interact more quickly with Glenn, he lives in Tasmania, with a fairly large family, so you'll have to deal with time zones and other RL realities. :)

Johnrw likes this.
  16. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

@Glenn,

Thank You!
    Success in minutes with your help!
    capture_20092019_200112.jpg

17. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

@bphlpt

Thank You.

Damn, He's 15 hours ahead of me! (In More Ways Than One) lol

18. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

@Glenn

LastXP v16
    MD5: B05E35997A4B2FAC937DA1B04C65FE3A

LastXP v16.2
    MD5: D277840AF55A6B6C03A4C9214EA2C570

The Freezer and Glenn like this.
  19. Glenn

Sounds like you have some catching up to go through, for your contributions of LastXP v16, I'll send you a PM with a few other toys I have made through the years, it'l be after a sleep though - been out working all day and don't have mental energy left to sort it now - It's always good to get complements and I am glad you mention Team LastOS as the funny thing was we were once of the First modded OS's but really the last one you'll need to download (per choice). Without the Team LastXP v12 would have been my last OS mode, but I met Soporific and many other great modders, I then integrated all their ideas into my own and released it as LastXP v13 Combined - which was at the time, the most feature complete and well tested (for home users) with a focus on silent install apps (even before that was a major thing to do), was a LOT of fun building OS on OS until we have archives now and a Fragmented Market due to Microsoft being next to useless at hearing community feedback, they only listen to business and their shareholders etc - which is why more than 3/4 of their new features are not wanted or needed :D

Anyway with regard to threats from Microsoft, they never sent me one, I have never made myself hard to find, I actually partly owned SITP for a few years there, but I had a Major HDD crash in 2013 and I pretty much gave up on public releases after that, LastOS is where I have retired to maintain the thing I personally need and apart from that I answer the requests of my friends here. I have never charged for my time or releases, that isn't really a bad thing for MS to chase after me for - If I can make a OS better than theirs without a large team or a heap of money, whats that say for their efforts? that said I can see they have made progress in many of the business side of things and Office + cloud has gone very well. I am sure after the next XBox and Windows 10 purchase once per game, play on any will make a bunch of gamers move to Win 10, it's not a terrible OS once you apply the Last10 Tweaks and install the ppApps.

No I haven't spent long in Linux, Less than 40 hours in total, I just happened to have UltraISO opened with LastXP v13 and copied the path from it's header (which for some reason used forward slashes), that said I brought my first ever Raspberry Pi (4b+) and I have spend countless hours sorting every ROM/Game and emulator into a AIO collection for myself, will be over 250GB once completed in a month or two. So that is Linux in a way.

Well I'l share some things, if the team doesn't beat me too it while I sleep ;) Have a great day.

Johnrw likes this.
  20. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

LOL, Really? Then why the name Glenn? Why not returnOfNights? No big deal. But if you want your fans to find you, put ReturnOfNights in your sig or something. I did not set out to find you per se, I just wanted to restore LastXP combined to the look and feel it had before SP3 was applied. That brought me here, and when I read some of the posts here, to be honest, I thought @The Freezer was you. Good job Freezer! And when you said ReturnOfNights was dead almost... well that was like pouring salt on my very old wound! The day you disappeared from SITP, I became sick of Windows in general. And all the years since XP SP2 had been released, Microsoft has proved one thing... that that company does not deserve the revenue it has collected, supposedly to make Windows better. I remember that the same week that M$ stopped creating license keys for XP, Bill Gates checked out! He could not see the internet coming, but he knew that XP was the greatest work MS would ever put out, and left at the very end of MS peak! Nobody knows better than you, how MS has put out TRASH, and called them Upgrades. And I put the brakes on, I refused to go past XP. Without a 100% reliable way to make backups of my own personal machines I have purchased with Windows 7, and 8.0 on them, I saw no way to test anything new... so I never looked. You and your team were the only people who had the skills to make HoHum windows XP, a thing of REAL beauty. Including MS Office was a HOOT! You got BALLS kiddo. I figured for doing that Steve Ballmer would resort to the US Navy Seals to take you out! Glad to know I was wrong. That's what becoming JADED got me. How can a multi-billion dollar company fail so many times in a row? Why don't they have a UI preference for all the people who Mastered Windows XP, to just keep that UI in their later releases? Windows 8, TILES??!!?? The very first thing I do on Windows 8, is install Classic Shell, an open source piece of Sanity in an insane world. Not perfect, but I can keep those tiles in the background at least. I have 1 computer, that came with windows 10 on it, that is virtually unused. Cost me a few grand to get for my wife. (An HP, I am that old that HP is all I buy.) But with the driver support for downgrading an OS virtually nonexistent, there is another reason to just use them as appliances. Don't immerse yourself into how, and what is going on inside, just turn it on, play a game, surf the internet, pay some bills and then walk away. It won't use much power, although Windows 10... has this peculiar "feature" of waking itself up in the middle of the night, and "doing things", that totally bugged me out! For a while... I decided to just pull the power plug out of the wall to keep that thing OFF. It wanted to go to Windows Update, and get them, but it never asked me for permission. But HP did the setup on it, so maybe it would have asked me during setup, I dunno.

I could go on and on... but the Bottom Line is this... You have no idea how much you have contributed to OUR lives... and to let a HDD crash end it all... was folly. I am sure that was traumatic, if it was the only storage for things irreplaceable, I really can't imagine just how tragic that must have been for you... but you aint got a monopoly on tragedy, rest assured.
    But let us all know, you are here!!! You have no idea how much you are loved!!!! Not by the Masses for sure, but by Special People around the globe. I am one of them. I had a mystic friend who once said, that when you go through life in a low key manner, like Master Po on Kung Fu, then the only people who do notice you, are Special!!!
    ----------------------------
    Ok, so my first thing to ask, how about the LastXP v13 startup screens before Windows is up, the stock is sky blue and boring, any way to repair that? And My Computer ->Properties still are bad.

capture_21092019_072423.jpg

I decided to put my Windows 10 appliance to use to test your stuff on. I ordered System Recovery (USB?) from HP this morning. And... I am using MS Backup to create a TRUE backup of the appliance. That way I can test your Last10 stuff out. Give feedback... Help make you greater than you already are LOL. I'm in buddy. There is only 1 person in the whole wide world that can make Windows 10 usable to this old dog, and that is @Glenn and his merry band of cohorts.

So let me see if I can download your latest.

Glenn likes this.
  21. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Hey @The Freezer ! Don't miss that great compliment I just gave you, I actually thought you were rON.

22. bphlpt

He's also been known as LiveFreeDead, and I'm sure other names that cannot be used in polite company. :)

Johnrw likes this.
  23. The Freezer

Yes, I saw that. But I wasn't sure for what though. Fooling you into thinking I was actually RON or what? LOL

But no, I sometimes refer to our favorite taz-maniac as RON on occasion; I just don't remember ever saying he was nearly dead ... :what:

On the other hand, he'd gone by the moniker "LiveFreeDead" (LFD) briefly. So there's that.

EDIT --
    oops BP beat me to it. LOL

Johnrw likes this.
  24. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

@The Freezer It was actually @Glenn that said rON was nearly dead. Here http://forum.lastos.org/index.php?posts/19949
    That's why... I guess I am trying to make sure he knows just who he is. How important his and all of your work is. Windows has sucked since Vista. M$ should hire you guys, to be honest.
    But now I am here... let's see what I can do. I am 62 years young. I have, since I got married, put my computer skills to use on the big diesels. Class A Tractors more precisely. I am called The Diesel Doctor. I am the best Diesel Doctor that ever lived. Trusted by anyone that knows anything in the Trucking Industry, in the 48 state USA.

Glenn likes this.
  25. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Well that's swell, so he has a fascination with death. I am of the Live Free or Die type myself... but that just means live free with no compromises. But hey, I did mention I got married, right? No kids, but she is more than enough to bring me back to earth, when I start to sail away. LOL

Glenn likes this.