LastXP Discussion

Discussion in 'LastXP' started by The Freezer, Mar 4, 2018.

1. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

So maybe the solution when working with XP is to use an older version of Rufus, one that used an older version of syslinux that would be compatible? Just a thought, and I might not of completely understood the problem. There are older versions available on the rufus website all the way back to 2011, and no, I don't know which versions would be compatible.

EDIT:
    I did some further checking and from the rufus website I found:

[​IMG] rufus-2.18p.exe 2017-11-07 13:39 945K Rufus 2.18 (Portable Version, Last version compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista)

I guess this is an example that using the latest and greatest isn't always the best solution, but rather you should use what is compatible with what you are trying to do. [It's also sometimes handy to hold onto old releases of software. Being a pack rat isn't all bad.]

So that answers that question. :) At least now we know WHY the 2.8 version is the last version compatible with XP and Vista, which I didn't know before now, so Thanks, Johnrw!

The Freezer likes this.
  2. NangHung

NangHung Guest

So I have a question, when I try LastXP v22 it says something about menu.c32 is not a com32r rom then when I try v20 it just says default or ui config not found

3. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

^^ Read my post directly above ^^

4. NangHung

NangHung Guest

But I'm a bit confused and I don't know hơ to do anything above

5. bphlpt

When you are creating your install media for LastXP, use a tool that is compatible with it. Rufus v2.18 is the last version compatible with Windows XP. You can find it on the rufus website, or you can use the direct link rufus-2.18p.exe.

6. NangHung

NangHung Guest

Will it work on LastXP v20

7. bphlpt

Rufus v2.18 is the last version compatible with Windows XP. It should work with any version of XP, AFAIK.

8. 6100m

6100m Member

Glenn, Sshadow and Trouba like this.
  9. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

I am trying to move all my professional tools into VMs, that were always running on LastXP. So I found a 2 TB hard disk that I thought why not? Give each VM 200 GB which should be more than enough and problem solved. So trying out Image for Windows… I get this crazyy error. Does terabyteunlimited’s Image for Windows work in XP?

Or maybe I should just ask will an Intel Core 2 Duo processor boot Last10?

In fact… it will and does. Working with a USB powered blueray burner didn’t give me alot of confidence, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  10. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Any thoughts on this? I’ll start off with this… IBM’s OS/2 could mange 4GB of RAM. In 1992!!!
    I realize how expensive ram was back then, but 4GB?

Attached Files:

11. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

OS/2 was just a fragmented market. It kept Microsoft working hard to improve things on their side to "beat" OS/2, so it had it's place, there has always been people who drive the market and demand "early adopters" and they pay the big bucks. I doubt any actually ever owned 4GB of ram as it had no easy way to fill it all. HDD's were tiny still and internets were not much bigger than 4GB worth itself ;)

12. 00Proteus00

00Proteus00 Active Member

I remember paying in excess of $350 in 1996 for an 8mb ram stick for my 486 dx2-80

13. Glenn

I remember my voodoo2 PCI card, well I also remember my 2MB memory ISA expansion card from my first 286 too though. had 8mhz to 12mhz boot button. I used Autodesk Animator to tinker, qbasic (before I found quick basic on the internets) and I avoided installing windows until windows 95 came out 4 years later. No 3.11 for WG on my home PC

Before this I used Amiga and C64 and learned how to code them from the time I was 11 until I was 13 and got my first 286 IBM.

Before I was 11 I used c64 and atari (console only) to play games. I used to enjoy going through sorting and testing each game (much like i still do).

14. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

It’s funny to me what you divulge here.
    But first, either I’ve got a fucked up installation or something is wrong with my networks stack.
    I don’t know how to diagnose this, but every program that I could install fails to connect to the Internet.
    I installed firefox 2.0 from LastXP combined, then I installed version 3.07 from LastXP Ron core V.22
    What the heck is going on?

Service pack 3 already applied

Attached Files:

15. 00Proteus00

00Proteus00 Active Member

Id start basic. Reinstall NIC drivers with manufacturer supplied drivers. Other than that, I just hope its not a wipe and reload

16. Glenn

Network and USB or HDD issues are the worst. Hard to diagnose... I brought some USB wifi adaptors for this purpose. They worked meaning the LAN was dodgy. I just reinstalled as I didn't want to waste my time and have to install again anyway.

That said, I had integrated LAN drivers into LastXPs, so their could be a version conflict occasionally with hardware

00Proteus00 likes this.
  17. Johnrw

Johnrw Active Member

Hi all, this is his wife Sylvia
    I have to inform yall that John Woods has passed away

18. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Oh no...

I offer my sincerest condolences, Sylvia. Please know that John was always most welcome here. May he rest in peace.

Johnrw likes this.
  19. bphlpt

We're so sorry for your loss, Sylvia. Once John rediscovered us here, he seems to have enjoyed learning new things and reliving things from his past. Maybe it helped brighten his day. I hope his passing was peaceful and you have good memories of your time together.

Johnrw likes this.
  20. Glenn

Thank you Sylvia, very sorry to hear this, I helped John do many projects (compared to other LastOS members) and I was grateful for all his support and praise he had for me and the team. LastXP and our OS's filled his days as much as my own, installations were tedious, but with the feedback and support from users like him made it grow to be much bigger than I ever imagined it to get. Falcon was another one of his past times and I appreciated his recommendation of it so much I made 2 version of it for my collection and purchased 2 Joysticks to enjoy it with. I am grateful to have known him, even if it was only a very small part of his life.

Johnrw, 6100m and mircea like this.
  21. spiraleddd

spiraleddd New Member

OKAY WE ARE GETTING THIS OLD THREAD ACTIVE AGAIN!!!

I am going to *try* to release the UNOFFICIAL LastXP v23 with drivers to install on modern PCs, and updated apps!

22. user469

user469 New Member

Will install and boot on external usb ssd also ?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024