Making A Really Useful Modern Windows

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by The Freezer, May 6, 2018.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I've got both versions, but since it was a Pentium Dual-Core -- Conroe, one of Intel's earliest, I believe -- I thought I'd give x64 a whirl. I've never really heard of any issues involving x64 Win8.1. I'd heard only a few with Win7. Any x64 drivers I could find were for Vista-only which I wasn't sure if they'd work for Win7 or especially Win8. So I tried Glenn's AwakenOS first which has the Live Win8.1 ... and guess I needn't have worried. Win8.1 runs smoothly on that older system. :)

2. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Cool. Whenever I update images again I may update the Win8.1's too then.

bphlpt and The Freezer like this.
  3. The Freezer

Bizarrely, after 3 hours (180 minutes), the PC would shut-down (Hibernate, I think). Had to change the power-option for it to "never".

Also, Idle was disabled which means the CPU was running 100% full time. Problem was the option was hidden. Caused me some head-scratching at first. Found a tweak that exposes the CPU idle power-option which allowed me to enable CPU idle.

So far, those seem to be the only tweaks I needed to do to Last8

4. Trouba

Could you capture those or put them in a reg tweak? This way I could incorporate them into the Last8.

5. The Freezer

Just the "expose the CPU idle option". The others I had to set manually. I couldn't find any reliable way to make power options a reg tweak. :(

6. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Would this help? - https://nmilosev.svbtle.com/hidden-power-settings-on-your-windows-81-tablet

I would think that by setting things manually, as you know how to do or by referencing something like this - https://www.techrepublic.com/article/pro-tip-tweaking-power-options-in-windows-8-1/ - and then seeing what changed in the registry, a registry tweak could be developed. But that's just a concept since I haven't used Win 8.1, yet. :)

7. The Freezer

I used "Registry Workshop" but the changes won't import. This seems to be an issue with Power Options (only?). It appears to need some sort of admin access. For example, in Advanced Settings (Power Options) there's a "link" with an admin-shield you have to click just to "change settings that are currently unavailable". They're grayed-out otherwise so you can't even change them manually until you click that. I think this is related to the reg tweak(s) not importing but I haven't looked into it any further.

Here's the "Expose CPU Idle option" reg tweak:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\5d76a2ca-e8c0-402f-a133-2158492d58ad]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000000

But as I said, you have to manually set it to "Enable Idle" (Under "Processor power management").

8. Trouba

We do have a ssApp that can set certain Power Options via script. For example here is one I used which contains the following in the ssApp.cmd:
    Code:
    @echo on

POWERCFG -Change -monitor-timeout-ac 20
    POWERCFG -Change -monitor-timeout-dc 10
    POWERCFG -Change -disk-timeout-ac 120
    POWERCFG -Change -disk-timeout-dc 30
    POWERCFG -Change -standby-timeout-ac 0
    POWERCFG -Change -standby-timeout-dc 20
    POWERCFG -Change -hibernate-timeout-ac 360
    POWERCFG -Change -hibernate-timeout-dc 360
    POWERCFG -H OFF
    powercfg -SETACVALUEINDEX SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0
    powercfg -SETDCVALUEINDEX SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_NONE CONSOLELOCK 0
    So maybe we can find the setting for that script and set it from there -- and since it's a script it can also be run during install so could be included with the L8 image.

The reg key you have there does import successfully in Win7 (mine was set to "1" and it changed to "0" afterwards). I thought for a second it was a protected key but it's not. So it should be able to be applied. Also in the L8 image we use .exe's with the reg tweaks, so we run both .reg files and reg files made into .exe's which helps with some settings taking effect. So I think it should work to have that as a reg tweak.

The hibernate function is disabled via reg tweaks in the L8 image, so it should not hibernate at all, unless a chosen power config overrides the original tweak. There are 2 locations the disable hibernate tweak is applied via the L8 reg tweaks -- this is one:
    Code:
    ;Disable Hibernate
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power]
    "HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000000

The Freezer likes this.
  9. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Also, @Freezer, if Trouba is going to update the L8 image, now would be a great time to include whatever settings or improvements of NoelC's that you think are appropriate, along with any others you have come up with as you have used Win 8.1 over the last year or so.. If not implemented automatically in the image for all, at least available as an option for whomever might want them. At this point, I think you have more experience working with Win 8.1 than any of the rest of us. AFAIK, we all would be most comfortable using Win 8.1 in a desktop mode that mimics that of Win 7 as closely as possible.

10. The Freezer

Yes, I had found that that one imports okay. All it does is "unhide" the CPU idle option. But after that I couldn't set any power options via reg-tweaks.

Cool, I'll have to play around with that. Thanks! :)

Then that was probably my fault. I re-enabled it -- I find it useful, especially with a laptop -- which in turn probably activated the count-down timer to "Hibernate after 180 minutes" which I then had to set to "Never" instead.

Trouba likes this.
  11. The Freezer

For the most part, those Last8 tweaks work just fine out-of-the-box as they are. Most of my personal customization came with tweaking Open-Shell's configuration of both Explorer and the Start-menu; in addition to some of my work on "Aero Glass for Windows 8.1". I've uploaded apz for both of those (with my customizations) to "repo" and "files". :)

The only other tweaks I remember using was one to change the Update Interval for Internet Time Synchronization from the default once-a-week to every 10 minutes and another to add some more time servers for Internet Time Sync and set the default server to "time.nist.gov" instead of Microsoft's "time.windows.com".
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient]
    "SpecialPollInterval"=dword:00000258

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DateTime\Servers]
    @="18"
    "1"="time.windows.com"
    "2"="time.nist.gov"
    "3"="time-a.nist.gov"
    "4"="time-b.nist.gov"
    "5"="time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov"
    "6"="time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov"
    "7"="time-c.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov"
    "8"="utcnist.colorado.edu"
    "9"="time-nw.nist.gov"
    "10"="nist1.symmetricom.com"
    "11"="nist1-dc.WiTime.net"
    "12"="nist1-ny.WiTime.net"
    "13"="nist1-sj.WiTime.net"
    "14"="nist1.aol-ca.symmetricom.com"
    "15"="nist1.aol-va.symmetricom.com"
    "16"="nist1.columbiacountyga.gov"
    "17"="nist.expertsmi.com"
    "18"="pool.ntp.org"

Trouba likes this.
  12. The Freezer

Finally got rid of those (annoying) pointy shadow corners -- they weren't smoothly rounded as they are in Windows 7. The glass geometry radius needed to be 12 (or higher). Windows 8.1 has it set at zero (actually it's missing) which gives those ghost square corners. Just needed to add it back in and set to Window 7's radius of 12 (hex c).
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
    "RoundRectRadius"=dword:0000000c

Also turning on the performance option "Show shadows under windows" significantly increases the perception of depth.

Trouba, Glenn and bphlpt like this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

I am going to build a Last8 Tweaks (Based on Last10) for the repository but It needs the latest ssApp.reg for Windows 8's tweaks (preferably with the above edits in place, I'll upload what I have but keep in mind it's only got the Windows 10 ssApp.reg in place. Please update it so I can have the latest optimized tweaks, I'll install AwakenOS to see how much better it is to look at :) I miss Aero.

http://repo.lastos.org/Last8.Tweaks_2019.10.6.BETA_Win10_ssApp.apz

I left it saying Win10 so we can tell it's the unedited one

The Freezer and Trouba like this.
  14. The Freezer

I'm still trying to figure out how to apply changes to the performance option "Show shadows under windows" (or any performance option for that matter) without restarting/rebooting. :what:

15. Glenn

Trouba's Refresh Desktop Icons AKA SystemIconRefresh.exe, manages to restart explorer with the caching cleared, maybe that will work (try running it manually) - it is within the Last8 Tweaks above if you can't find it. if that doesn't work then I don't think you could make it work without logging off/rebooting IMO.

16. The Freezer

Nope, SystemIconRefresh didn't work. But it could be useful so I'll hold on to it.

I even tried to force it using AutoIt. Still no joy there either. :(

I wonder how Windows itself does it without restarting?

17. Glenn

There is a heap of dll calls using rundll that can do all sorts of system tricks, but not all of them are known.

Maybe try this:

To restart DWM via command line, open the command prompt (cmd.exe) and type:

Code:
    net stop uxsms
    Followed by:

Code:
    net start uxsms
    This will have the same effect as restarting the DWM service through the Windows Service Manager application.

Here is some code that does it, maybe you could get AutoIt to do what your after:
    Code:
    class Program
    {
       [DllImport("user32.dll", SetLastError = true)]
       private static extern IntPtr SendMessageTimeout(IntPtr hWnd, int Msg, IntPtr wParam, string lParam, uint fuFlags, uint uTimeout, IntPtr lpdwResult);

private static readonly IntPtr HWND_BROADCAST = new IntPtr(0xffff);
       private const int WM_SETTINGCHANGE = 0x1a;
       private const int SMTO_ABORTIFHUNG = 0x0002;

static void Main(string[] args)
       {
           SendMessageTimeout(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_SETTINGCHANGE, IntPtr.Zero, null, SMTO_ABORTIFHUNG, 100, IntPtr.Zero);
       }}

Plenty more trails to follow on a google search, but they look the most promising to me.

The Freezer likes this.
  18. The Freezer

This is the .reg from Trouba's Last8. It is a rather large file (70KB). I've tried going through it myself but ... it is a rather large file. :what:

The only comparable .reg-file that I see (from Win10 tweaks, above) is "ssApp.reg". And it is slightly larger at 73KB. So it's not easy to see what side-by-side differences there are between the two -- one opti-tweaking for Win8.1 and the other for Win10. There seems to be some overlap with the two; probably some copy & pastes going on.

That's just the reg-files. There's a lot of other "stuff" going on with that package.

Attached Files:

Glenn likes this.
  19. Glenn

http://repo.lastos.org/Last8.Tweaks_2019.10.15_Win8_ssApp.apz

Ok I went through the tweaks and added all the missing ones to the start and the end of the ssApp.reg.

I'll backup and try a Win 8.1 Vanilla install to see how well it works with the tweaks only applied and build on it (VM only for now) - Will keep you all informed.

-EDIT-

I need to repair the Computer Context Menu for System Tools, it currently doesn't open, I also need to redirect to Calc.exe for Win 8.

I am using Gen2's September 2019 8.1 x64 as my OS source.

-EDIT 2-

OMG, gen2's Win 8 is not up to date, 84 updates available, that's ridiculous
    Code:
    2017-12 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB4054519)

Download size: 296.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/help/4054519

Help and Support: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/help/4054519

2019-10 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, 4.8 for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB4524104)

Download size: 68.5 MB

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4524104

Help and Support: 
    http://support.microsoft.com

2019-10 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB4520005)

Download size: 477.6 MB

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information: 
    https://support.microsoft.com/help/4520005

Help and Support: 
    https://support.microsoft.com/help/4520005

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3172729)

Download size: 10.3 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3172729

Help and Support: 

Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB4462930)

Download size: 20.7 MB

Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/4462930

Help and Support: 

Update for Microsoft Camera Codec Pack for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2899189)

Download size: 13.9 MB

Installing the Microsoft Camera Codec Pack enables the viewing of a variety of device-specific file formats and will allow supported RAW camera files to be viewable in applications in Windows. For a complete listing of supported cameras, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base Article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2899189

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2976978)

Download size: 6.1 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976978

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2989930)

Download size: 164 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2989930

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB2990967)

Download size: 56 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2990967

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3012235)

Download size: 792 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3012235

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3012702)

Download size: 14.8 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3012702

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013172)

Download size: 90 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3013172

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013410)

Download size: 1.1 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3013410

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013531)

Download size: 1.3 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3013531

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013538)

Download size: 3.6 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3013538

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3013791)

Download size: 199 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3013791

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3015696)

Download size: 763 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3015696

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3018133)

Download size: 44 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3018133

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3020370)

Download size: 162 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3020370

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3024751)

Download size: 650 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024751

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3024755)

Download size: 557 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024755

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3027209)

Download size: 2.1 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3027209

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3029606)

Download size: 702 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3029606

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3030947)

Download size: 3.9 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3030947

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3033446)

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3033446

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3036612)

Download size: 717 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3036612

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3038002)

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3038002

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3043812)

Download size: 1.5 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3043812

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3044673)

Download size: 256 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3044673

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3045634)

Download size: 254 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3045634

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3045717)

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3045717

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3045719)

Download size: 130 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3045719

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3046480)

Download size: 61 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3046480

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3046737)

Download size: 136 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3046737

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3047254)

Download size: 192 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3047254

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3048043)

Download size: 1.2 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3048043

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3053863)

Download size: 82 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3053863

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3054169)

Download size: 3.0 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3054169

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3054256)

Download size: 1.4 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3054256

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3054464)

Download size: 796 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3054464

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3055323)

Download size: 162 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3055323

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3055343)

Download size: 868 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3055343

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3056347)

Download size: 341 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3056347

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3060793)

Download size: 72 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3060793

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3061493)

Download size: 56 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3061493

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3063843)

Download size: 258 KB - 283 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3063843

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3064059)

Download size: 160 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3064059

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3078405)

Download size: 102 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3078405

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3078676)

Download size: 132 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3078676

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3080149)

Download size: 1.0 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3080149

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3080800)

Download size: 62 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3080800

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3087137)

Download size: 2.2 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3087137

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3091297)

Download size: 192 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3091297

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3095701)

Download size: 102 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3095701

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3099834)

Download size: 78 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3099834

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3100473)

Download size: 1.8 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3100473

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3103616)

Download size: 189 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3103616

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3103696)

Download size: 624 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3103696

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3103709)

Download size: 1.5 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3103709

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3109976)

Download size: 2.4 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3109976

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3115224)

Download size: 13.1 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3115224

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3121261)

Download size: 6.8 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3121261

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3126030)

Download size: 217 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3126030

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3132080)

Download size: 4.3 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3132080

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3133690)

Download size: 91 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3133690

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3134815)

Download size: 193 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3134815

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3137728)

Download size: 1.1 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3137728

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3138378)

Download size: 1.6 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3138378

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3138602)

Download size: 30.1 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3138602

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3140185)

Download size: 276 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3140185

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3140219)

Download size: 70 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3140219

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3140222)

Download size: 1.2 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3140222

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3140234)

Download size: 83 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3140234

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3145384)

Download size: 169 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3145384

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3146604)

Download size: 788 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3146604

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3146751)

Download size: 159 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3146751

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3147071)

Download size: 13.1 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3147071

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3149157)

Download size: 2.5 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3149157

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3150513)

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3150513

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3161102)

Download size: 139 KB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3161102

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3172614)

Download size: 102.4 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3172614

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3179574)

Download size: 28.5 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3179574

Help and Support: 

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3184143)

Download size: 23.6 MB - 23.7 MB

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3184143

Help and Support: 

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - October 2019 (KB890830)

Download size: 36.6 MB

After the download, this tool runs one time to check your computer for infection by specific, prevalent malicious software (including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom) and helps remove any infection that is found. If an infection is found, the tool will display a status report the next time that you start your computer. A new version of the tool will be offered every month. If you want to manually run the tool on your computer, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Download Center, or you can run an online version from microsoft.com. This tool is not a replacement for an antivirus product. To help protect your computer, you should use an antivirus product.

More information: 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

Help and Support: 

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    The Freezer likes this.
  20. The Freezer

So what is their release date for ... ?? :what:

21. Trouba

Gen2 sucks, it is Trouba you need :D

Sorry, haven't had time to update the WIn8's. Will do whenever I can.

Glenn likes this.
  22. Glenn

http://repo.lastos.org/Last8.Tweaks_2019.10.16_Win8_ssApp.apz

I appended Troubas tweaks to the end of my ssApp.reg and it fixed the icons and calculator link as well as My Computer Context Menu works, so I left it as it. You should be right to use Last8 Tweaks now.

Trouba if you modify Windows 8 OS before me and update the integrated tweaks, please check over the above and change/update or include it with the OS release. I will be trying a Sysprep myself sooner or later, but we all know who the expert is for that job now :)

The Freezer and Trouba like this.
  23. Trouba

Yeah, remember Win8 sysprep requires use of PowerShell UI to run scripts for updating, so it's real fun :)

Maybe with the Win8 tweaks it isn't much different, the post-install tweaks vs the internal OS tweaks that get run upon install, but in Win7 there were some differences in paths and such so that I needed 2 tweak sets, one for post-install ssApp and the other for the OS.

The Freezer likes this.
  24. The Freezer

I've up'd my latest effort to improve the Aero Glass ssApp with some refinements. It seems to behave better now with other themes -- both the built-ins and unsigned third-party ones.

:cool:

25. The Freezer