Making A Really Useful Modern Windows

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by The Freezer, May 6, 2018.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Looks good!

PS: Ashampoo Office is actually SoftMaker Office, the latter being both better and less Chinese than WPS Office and much smaller than either Open or Libre Office, although LibreOffice is a mainstay for a lot of people. Plus if you're doing only x64 then you could make SoftMaker and Libre both smaller if needed.

The Freezer likes this.
  2. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

I just thought I'd make it clear that not all those apps in that auto-install list are going to be on the Plus pack. It would be undesirable to do so. It's only if you do include an app from that auto-install list into the folders "ssAppsInstalls" or "ppAppsInstalls" then they will automatically get installed.

I should've included a list of the actual contents of the Plus pack earlier to illustrate. Here's a list of apps I've included in the "Freezer.Pack":
    • 7+.Taskbar.Tweaker_v5.8_NT6_ssApp-FM.apz
    • 7-Zip_v19.00_ssApp.apz
    • Active@.Disk.Image_v7.0.4.Pro_ssApp.apz
    • AIMP_v3.60_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Beyond.Compare_v3.3.13.Pro_ssApp.apz
    • Bulk.Rename.Utility_v3.3.1.0_ssApp.apz
    • CCleaner_v5.25.5902.Professional_ssApp.apz
    • Defraggler_v2.21.993.Professional_ssApp.apz
    • DeskSave_v8.2.1_ssApp-FM.apz *
    • GIMP_v2.8.14_ssApp-FM.apz
    • HashCheck.Shell.Extension_v2.1.11.1_ssApp.apz
    • K-Lite.Mega.CodeC_v15.3.5_ssApp.apz
    • Malwarebytes.Anti-Malware_v1.75.0.1300.Pro_ssApp.apz
    • Microsoft.Broadband.Networking.Utility_v2.2.0.731_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Microsoft.Office_v2003.SP3_ssApp.apz
    • Mouse.Cursor.Themes_v1.0_ssApp.apz
    • MS.Office.Compatibility.Pack_v2003_ssApp.apz
    • Nero.Burning.ROM_v18.0.15.0_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Notepad2-mod_v4.2.25.856_ssApp.apz
    • OldNewExplorer_v1.1.9_ssApp.apz
    • Opera.GX_v66.0.3515.111_x64_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Partition.Wizard_v9.1.Server.Edition_ssApp.apz
    • PDF-XChange.Viewer_v2.5.322.10.Pro.Lite_ssApp-FM.apz
    • PDFCreator_v1.7.1_ssApp.apz
    • Recuva_v1.53.1087.Professional_ssApp.apz
    • Speccy_v1.29.714.Professional_ssApp.apz
    • TeraCopy_v3.2.6.Pro_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Virtual.CloneDrive_v5.4.9.0_ssApp.apz
    • Winaero.Tweaker_v0.16.1.0_ssApp.apz
    • Windows.8.Manager_v2.2.8_Win8_ssApp-FM.apz
    • WinRAR_v5.80_ssApp.apz
    And these are on the Install iso:
    • Always.Mouse.Wheel_v4.41_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Classic.Task.Manager_ssApp.apz *
    • FileSearchEX_v1.1.0.6_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Folder.Options.X_v1.6.0.0_ssApp.apz
    • LastOS.Settings.Tool_v2017_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Microsoft.Games.for.Windows.8+_v2.0_ssApp
    • Unlocker_v1.9.2_ssApp-FM.apz
    FYI, the above apps get auto-installed during the PostLogon phase by ssWPI. Note, the two ssApps above with asterisks (*) are not auto-installed. They are included as a convenience perhaps to be optionally installed by ssWPI after the FinalRestart phase.

And for the curious, the following apps get auto-installed during the FirstLogon phase:
    • Aero.Glass_v1.4.6_Win8.1_ssApp-FM.apz
    • Apply.Minimal.Win.System.Protection.Settings_v2015.09.04_ssApp.apz
    • KMSPico
    • Open-Shell_v4.4.143_Win8_ssApp-FM.apz
    • SetupS.SendTo.Suite_v20.03.17.0_ssApp.apz
    • ssWPI_v20.2.4_x64_ssApp-FM.apz
    This one is installed during the first moments of the PostLogon phase (but not by ssWPI):
    • Windows.9.Rebrand_ssApp.apz

bphlpt likes this.
  3. The Freezer

Here's a screen of the PostLogon auto-install in progress. It demonstrates using a two USB-port install with the separate iso's (the Main Install and the Plus-pack) each having their own individual USB-drive.

Last9-WinBlue_PostLogon.png
    I forgot to mention the main reason I chose to do it this way. There has been discussion in the past of the merits and downsides of including a lot of apps on the install "disk". By splitting it up this way I'd hoped to facilitate the updating or adding/removing of apps at later dates without having to touch the original "vanilla" install iso -- which at nearly 3 GB would be the bulk of the download and an updated Plus-pack at 700 MB would be a much, much smaller download.

bphlpt and Glenn like this.
  4. The Freezer

Here's some more screens:
    Last9-WinBlue_Installing.Windows.png Last9-WinBlue_FinalingYourSettings.png Last9-WinBlue_FirstLogon.jpg Last9-WinBlue_Logon.Scren.png Last9-WinBlue_Games.Pack-in.png

5. Glenn

Glenn Administrator Staff Member

The source code for ssWPI is available if you wanted to compile a build that says Win 9 instead of Win 8 (do it at the part it generates the Title and it wont interfere (use a temp Variable instead). Xojo 2014 is the version I compile with. (press magnifier glass at bottom middle of the IDE, Search for HeaderTitle.Text), Alternatively go to SetDefaultText function and add a line to set;
    Code:
    change
    HeaderTitle.Text = OriginalTitleText+" (Win "+Str(OSString)+")" 'Set Title for app window
    to
    SelectedTags = Str(OSString)
    If SelectedTags = "8" Then SelectedTags = "9"
    HeaderTitle.Text = OriginalTitleText+" (Win "+ SelectedTags +")" 'Set Title for app window
    SelectedTags = ""
    SelectedTags is cleared before it is used, so you should be right to use it (not have to make a new String to use).

You really should make the default blue better matching: Resource Hacker can edit x64 .dll's
    sources\background_cli.bmp
    sources\spwizimg.dll ; Bitmap 517 (last one)

You just need to make sure the bmp is 1024x768x24bit and it'll replace the horrible blue in the windows setup (your first screenshot).

Looking forward to playing with this, did you sysprep in the updates or ntlite or dism? just curious as once trouba taught me how to use sysprep properly I couldn't see myself going back to the "during install" updates again.

-EDIT-

As you continue to use the blue after a reboot (it matches already), you could leave it, there is info on how to replace it on the logon screen for windows 8.1 too, I've just not got it on hand.

Trouba and The Freezer like this.
  6. The Freezer

It does have several alternative backgrounds -- and at least one in "brown" just to show off the AeroGlass capability a little:

Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_40_31.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_40_45.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_41_19.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_41_51.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_43_30.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_43_57.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_44_18.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_45_09.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_45_27.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_45_49.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_46_09.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_46_28.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_46_46.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_47_05.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_47_27.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_48_00.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_48_34.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_48_57.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_49_51.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_50_20.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_50_45.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_52_05.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_52_21.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_52_44.png Last9-WinBlue_20_04_2020_17_53_07.png
    So I wasn't sure what an appropriate "Blue" default color might match best.

7. The Freezer

No, I completely and blatantly hijacked Trouba's latest Last8.1-Ent (2019.12.17 update) as a base for all this (with his permission, of course). The only thing I actually updated from that was the Hosts file. I'm a total Padawan when it comes to things like dism and sysprep, etc. I'm in need of Trouba to teach me his Jedi ways.

(And yes, I've been doing Star Wars marathons during my Lock-down time.)

Trouba likes this.
  8. Glenn

I know you can read/follow batch files, The Last20 Video and Scripts will show/tell you everything about Syspreping, but if you want the details we can go through them one step at a time, when you tell us where your stuck in the process.

9. The Freezer

Ah, yes, I'll do that, thanks. I'd nearly forgotten about that and must've missed the part where you'd sysprep'ed Last20.

10. The Freezer

Thanks, I might do that. Could a hexeditor or Resource Hacker change the string instead?

I did notice a minor problem with ssWPI. It wasn't hiding some of the already previously installed apps -- even those installed by ssWPI itself. Most installed apps would be hidden; just a few did not. For example, AIMP always shows up in the "yet to install" list no matter what.

11. Glenn

ssWPI does a simple AppPath check, if you have the path set right in the .app file and a copy of the .app already exists there it will hide except it also checks the version number, it must be the same style vx.xx.x or xx.xx for example, else it will sometimes still show it as installable and not be hidden.

If you were able to include an extra file during install in the $OEM$\$$\ssTek\WinVer.ini "9" content, then I could easily make ssWPI use such a string if found, this would future proof such a feature, Xojo has tamper protection so you can't hex edit .exe files, let me know what you want to do, Fact is it is Win 8, so doesn't hurt to leave it, but would help with the Windows 9 illusion, I could compile it up for you, just need to know you'll include that file (you can copy it to any Active OS's C:\Windows\ssTek\WinVer.ini to test it too.

-EDIT-

Code:
    ssWPI v20.04.21.0:
    ADD: C:\Windows\ssTek\WinVer.ini "9" Ability
    http://www.lastos.org/tools/ssWPI/ssWPI_v20.04.21.0_Xojo2014.7z

12. The Freezer

Thanks. I'll see what I can do with that. As you said, it's apparent I'm merely using the old (proposed) name for Win8.1. After all, the Build is still showing "9600" and a version check anywhere else shows "6.3.9600". ;)

I'm thinking of making KMSPico into an ssApp. If nothing else than to clean up the post-sorted Startmenu.

13. The Freezer

Cool, that WinVer.ini file works.
    Last9.png

FYI, for the hell of it, I tried using "Last20" and that worked too. ;)
    Last20.png

14. Glenn

The Freezer likes this.
  15. The Freezer

Sounds good. Then it'll look like ssWPI is customized for named editions such as you used to do -- NightOS, Prophecy, CosmOS, AwakenOS, etc. ;)

I only mentioned KMSPico in that regard because I've only ever seen it as a rar-sfx during FirstLogon rather than as an ssApp-sfx instead. And which is why it doesn't get sorted in the Startmenu, of course.

16. 6100m

6100m Member

Erm Freezer I do wanna warn you. You might want to use a autocrack.

Basically I have a hidden start crack (which I will make a ppapp of soon?) and using that, make a unattended activation script that auto-activates it in the background. You might however want to use persistence with that (have it run over and over although not sure if you have to?) and I have a cool set of REG patches and a Icon set that adds waifu pokemon to the icon set -- but basically if this isn't there, it can unactivate itself and undermine the whole thing, you know what I mean?

17. The Freezer

That's okay. KMSPico works just fine for my purposes. In fact, to get the activation to "stick" after the rebrand to Win9, I have to disable the KMS service. I'm using an ssApp version of it to make the Startmenu clean-looking. :cool:

18. The Freezer

19. The Freezer

Later I'll make a separate thread for the above info expanded and with more details.

Version 2 will see fine-tuning and smoothing out some of the rough edges. Possibly it'll see a LivePE-type install. I'll also be trying my hand at sysprep for updates and to straighten out that runtimes mess such as those Visual C++ Redistributables.

20. Glenn

Maxing my speed out up to 3.7MB/s so it is nice and fast.

The Freezer likes this.
  21. The Freezer

Nearly there.... ;)

LastX_06_09_2020_22_33_51.png

zdevilinside, bphlpt and 57331 like this.
  22. The Freezer

And using Glenn's ssApp, "Add Windows Store to LTSC" ...

Last10_07_09_2020_12_07_45.png

bphlpt and 57331 like this.
  23. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Hmm interesting... What about 2004? :D

24. The Freezer

For Enterprise LTSC, we'll have to settle for 1809 for now. ;)

And LTSC (at least for me) is the only sane way to go to Windows 10 if you're shoehorned into it -- as with any hardware of the ‘Kabylake’ generation; which fortunately 1809 supports. It had even automatically downloaded/installed all the necessary drivers. Which was really convenient because it appears there's no need to scour AMD/Intel sites for them.

57331 likes this.
  25. The Freezer

Here's a few more of LastX:

LastX_07_09_2020_14_24_15.png

LastX_07_09_2020_14_24_56.png

Here's some different Atlas Themes:

LastX_07_09_2020_14_55_18.png
    "RoundCorners" (for thinner borders)

LastX_07_09_2020_14_55_46.png
    "Win10" (for razor-thin borders)

LastX_07_09_2020_15_08_33.png