Making A Really Useful Modern Windows

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by The Freezer, May 6, 2018.

1. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Yeah they came out with ESU v10 now, they say a little better .NET bypass. I just updated it myself last night is how I know :)

I also run i7 on my main PC, others have i5s. So this is Z77/Z68 era of computing :D

But yeah it works, I have been installing images with ESU updates over the last few months already (on one now). I also made a newly updated image of Win7 Pro x64 with LivePE last night, I was thinking of uploading it, in part for mircea. However, it doesn't include the CPU patch and integrated drivers from that tool you mentioned, I want to leave the install.wim and boot.wim without added drivers so people can just integrate their own. I may make a similar image but with CPU patch and integrated drivers (USB/Chipset mostly) in the future, for the people who have Win8-10 era hardware.

mircea and Ghost like this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

What is mircea having problems with actually?

That would help, as I remember it was activation, or ?

I remember someone saying a 32 bit version maybe?

3. Trouba

I think mircea just wants updated apps, mostly :) But also Win7 updates, given that Cosmos is from years ago. The main issue he was having with the image I gave him is activation, so when he tried my Enterprise based image he must have either used Defender or an AV and it ate KMSpico so he lost activation. Either that or he cleaned out tasks and so KMS didn't renew, it could be anything. He then tried Windows Loader on it, not knowing Windows Loader doesn't support Win7 Enterprise, so he thought the install was botched when all he had to do was either uninstall/reinstall KMSpico or use another KMS activator.

Cosmos is a 4-in-1 and has both x86 and x64, so for some people that is attractive. That is why I asked him about lang packs because only Ultimate and Enterprise offer those. Pro doesn't but it allows you to use either Windows Loader or KMS activation, so best of both worlds if you don't need lang packs. So I think the Pro image I made will work for him because it would allow him to use Windows Loader easily. Plus it has a LivePE which most of my older images didn't have anymore, but I kind of like having the LivePE (Win7 x86) in there with all the recover/disk tools, AIO. I would make it a dual-arch image but I want to keep it small because I know several people who still install from DVD so I'm just doing single-arch images.

I did think about making a x86 version as well, it'd be good to have updated again. Last one like this I made in 2020.02 but it was Enterprise-based.

4. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Ahh yes, he did mention something about anti virus in chat a good while back, most people do not understand like we do about the in's and out's of what can happen after a fresh install as we all have done and learned from, at some point you understand to do things in steps.

Remember RAID 0 LOL, was a good learning experience for sure.

5. Trouba

Yeah, that's why for Win7 Windows Loader is good because it is less affected (not detected) by AVs. Most people don't know they need to make exceptions for other activators in their AVs and stuff, but sometimes even if they do, the activator gets snagged after a definitions update or something. But then if people need MS Office, they may install a KMS activator anyway, even if they use Windows Loader, and in those cases you may as well just use a KMS activator only and learn to protect it from getting flagged. I never have these problems because I don't use AVs as they're a waste of resources and in my experience don't prevent much. Better to have good habits, good hosts file, and get the hashes for any patches, cracks, etc., and run them again the VirusTotal database when not sure.

The other day I thought my SSD was being slow, but then I remembered it was still 4 times faster than my WD Black RAID0 main OS drive(s) of yore and felt better :D

6. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

Apparently, I'm not alone. Post #15 (on My Digital Life):

The way I have experienced it is that yes, Windows 8.1 will install on KabyLake/Ryzen systems without issue. And this may be because Window 8.1 comes with native USB 3.0 drivers out of the box. I can't speak for Windows 7 because I haven't tested it on those particular platforms. So perhaps via USB 2 only if the system has one.

So it's not necessarily the CPU's themselves that are the problem; no, the real evil is those platform's corresponding motherboard/chipset components such as HD Graphics, Audio, Touchpad, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SD-card readers, USB 3.0, HDMI, etc.

Intel & AMD do not provide those drivers for Windows 8.1; but AMD does provide them only for Windows 7 (if you can find them). And forget the OEM's/Vendors like Dell, ASUS, etc. They only provide drivers for Windows 10. :(

It's also been my experience that Windows 10's Update does automatically download and installs the drivers for all those mobo-components but you have to be connected to the Internet for that to happen as they are not provided natively or out of the box. For Windows 8.1 (on a Ryzen 3 platform), I ended up having to use a separate and external NIC -- that came with its own pre-Windows 10 drivers -- otherwise I wouldn't even be able to access the Internet much less Windows Update (with wufuc installed, of course). Unfortunately after all that, for some reason I still couldn't get WU to download and install any of those drivers. It's likely those drivers are not available for download since they don't actually exist; or that wufuc works for security updates only.

Without any other way of obtaining or getting those drivers installed, I'm sort of shot out of the saddle almost before I could begin. :what:

Wikipedia seems to confirm my experience. (Be sure to checkout the footnotes for them.)

For Intel's KabyLake:
    and ...
    And for AMD's Ryzen:
    The real bummer, of course, is that the clock is ticking on Windows 8.1 still being a "Useful Modern Windows"

And the takeaway on all this means that it's most definitely Windows 10 or bust if you want your PC to have a cutting-edge CPU.

Trouba likes this.
  7. The Freezer

Yeah, I think it's an app thing also. Specifically those not available in the public repo. ;)

Trouba likes this.
  8. Trouba

By the way, besides getting previews of Windows Updates, the wushowhide.diagcab utility included with Last10 builds (and Last8, right?) lets you see which drivers updates are available before they get downloaded by WU. So you run it before you run WU, and it does list all the drivers it finds in that utility as well. You probably know this but a lot of people still don't know how to preview what WU is going to offer before they actually run it, but if you don't want Defender or MSRT updates you're bound to have to use that utility so you can set unwanted updates to "hide" so that when you run WU afterwards, WU doesn't download/install these.

9. The Freezer

Yep, #5 is about as far as I get too. :what:

10. The Freezer

No I didn't know that. Thanks. Though I'm not sure how to even use it (on Windows 10 or 8.1).

11. Trouba

Yeah, it's not necessary on Win8 because it still has classic WU (I forgot for a second), but on Win10 in the tweaks we put it under Desktop->right-click->System Tools-> WU Show Hide. (This is the cascading desktop context menu.) So just run that before running WU. Any update or driver you don't want to be installed by WU, you can set to hide in that utility. Then you can run WU and it only downloads the updates and/or drivers you haven't set to hide. Later, if you want to unhide those updates, you can run the utility again and restore these. I never check updates in Win10 without running that utility first. It gives you control over updates -- and it's made by Microsoft! That almost doesn't sound right, does it?

12. Trouba

So it turns out something is broken about V10 of the Bypass script by Abbodi. Specifically, with the .NET Bypass portion. If you install the .NET Bypass, it messes with certain MSI installers. For example, Classic Shell and Open-Shell installers (which have MSI's inside the EXE wrapper). They just fail to install, until you remove the .NET Bypass by running the V10 script again and uninstalling the .NET bypass; right after that you can install the MSIs again. I let Abbodi know. V9 of the script does not have that problem, so you were on the right track using V9 :D

EDIT: I'll use the bypass script to update the images but I will turn it off before sysprep finalize and capture. Having used V9 without issues, I was kind of blissfully unaware there might be any issues leaving the bypasses on. To be sure, it's the .NET bypass that is causing it, not the ESU bypass (these are options in the same script). You only need to enable the bypass script when checking for/or installing updates, so it will be best not to leave the bypass running and only enable it when updating. Updating is something I do when I make new images, not really on installs :)

EDIT2: Just to update the info, the ESU Bypass can be left on in the image. The only thing to disable after updating is .NET Bypass. So only run .NET Bypass when new .NET updates are available, then after installing those, disable .NET Bypass again. It's really simple to do, just run the V10 Bypass script and it will analyze which Bypass you have installed (takes 2 seconds), then it will offer options based on the state of things, and will offer options to disable either ESU Bypass or .NET Bypass, upon which you type in the respective number corresponding to what you want to do and it will disable/enable the bypass of choice, which again takes 2 seconds at best. So really easy to do. So what I'll do on the images is leave the ESU Bypass active but turn off the .NET Bypass.

Ghost likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I did install win 8.1 last night and it was a head scratcher for sure, it needed a product key to install, I found 1 that worked, I will go into it today and see what I find, if anything.

EDIT: no graphic driver support for me so there goes that

14. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

I have installed 8.1 on my I5 CoffeeLake system a few times but always get the same problem, no working WiFi drivers (although LAN works perfect) and some PCI missing in device manager

15. The Freezer

So yes, getting a Non-Win10 installed to these xxxLake/Ryzen platforms won't be the problem. But if you have a laptop for example, then you'll have no WiFi (hence no Internet), no touchpad or touchscreen, no audio/sound, no HDMI (so no external monitor), no sd-card reader, no extra controls or functions with the keyboard... That 4-core Ryzen is now a super-fast paperweight. :cautious:

Trouba likes this.