Making A Really Useful Modern Windows

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by The Freezer, May 6, 2018.

1. The Freezer

The Freezer Just this guy, you know Staff Member

It's almost ready. Some quirkiness with Windows 10 needed ironing out but most of those have been remedied.

One issue left to tackle: FirstLogon exposes the desktop -- similarly to PostLogon -- and hence all the activity going on during that phase. So I suppose some sort of "please standby..." message or notification is needed. :coffee:

Glenn and Trouba like this.
  2. zdevilinside

zdevilinside Active Member

You will do it! We have faith in you! Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to this release.

By the way, what do you use for driver packs? I have had to use a few in the past and am curious what you use for the finalization of drivers.

Edit: We may want to create a link or something to Ninite.com in case someone wants to go that route for Apps instead of ssApps/ppApps. Just throwing that out for spitballing. I am happy with the ssApps/ppApps though. Just telling you what I have had a lot of experience needing to do.

3. The Freezer

IDK, Microsoft? LOL. I'm not sure when's the last time I've seen a LastOS build with driverpacks. And in any case, for "modern" hardware, this has sort of been the whole point of Project.Last.X -- availability of those drivers from OEM's & vendors has been limited to Windows 10 only. ;)

4. zdevilinside

Understood. I am just trying to figure out the best way to take the entire install process offline. Where I am going for the next year has at best a 1.5MB download speed. The less time I spend on downloading things during the installation process the better it will be for me. :)

5. The Freezer

Yes, I get it and actually sympathize. But this group has for various reasons moved away from providing (& updating) driverpacks. The best you can do is download all the drivers -- even the ones you don't think you'll need -- beforehand from the various vendors/manufactures of your PC(s).

The real issue at the moment is those drivers available for you to download are Windows 10-only drivers. Even utilities for your equipment.

But here's where it becomes so arbitrary. Take for example Intel (and AMD, I think). You want to overclock, stress test, diagnostics, etc. but those utilities will only run on Windows 10 or ... get this, Windows 7. But not on Windows 8/8.1; it's specifically blocked. No reason given why they'll run on Windows 7 and 10 but not 8.x. And I've looked at the .inf files for the Win10 drivers and the comments inside indicate they merely updated it from a Windows 8.1/Blue driver. But the installs are blocked at the Setup program. :what:

6. zdevilinside

I have a driver packs site I have used before and guess I will have to get them and keep them around. :( The ones I am thinking of offers Windows 7 - 10 options but you have to download a lot of large files to keep around. Not fun to say the least. If they update a pack, they don't do it in a supplement and make you download it all over again. PITA - Pain In The ___!

It amazes me how much drivers are an issue. I had someone that had a newer laptop - or so he thought. It kept BSODing and I looked into it. The first attempt I did the normal fixes - clean up temp files, run updates, etc. Second attempt I told him that if what I do that day doesn't fix the issue he would need to backup his data so I could rebuild the system. I went to Dell's website to look at drivers and guess what? Windows 10 wasn't supported.

I showed that to him and told him that I can try other drivers to see if it would resolve his problem but if it didn't I would have to downgrade him to Windows 8.1. That wasn't a fun conversation explaining how drivers can be unsupported between OS versions and such. I think the analogy of someone putting a part into their car to make it perform better results in the engine blowing up got him. That isn't a perfect analogy but sometimes those are enough.

7. Steve Hedges

Steve Hedges belveder

I'm having the driver problem in reverse rofl, I can't install Windows 8.1 because my mobo (MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC) only supports 10. I have worked out drivers for everything except network contrllor (wifi) and something PCI which I can't figure out. Pretty stupid I reckon

8. Michael740

Michael740 Guest

You Know I just had To Reinstall Win 7 over LastOS 10
    I hated to do it and it was a great install of
    Last20 LTSC x64 2020.02 except I had gone online somewhere and got a KMS Tools and got an Activator the does it till 2039 because on the 3 LastOS they unactivated. The Last20 only made it 3 days. So I figured it out myself. The other issue was on the Last10 LTSC the password was expired. The lastOS 10's I had stayed with Last 7 for so long because I really did not like the look of 10 at all it was cluttered. Much harder to get around in. I was confused because it was so long ago that I was sure the App Setup started pre-install Reboot. I have seen somewhere here to do it post but after I already had some fun with the things first. I always seem to get it done though. So I don't know if I could do what you all do I could see me pulling out the rest of my hair.:(:):cool: I had to revert because after I install my Nascar 2003 game it starts normally the first time then never starts again. I was told it was the DEP thing there it seems to have got me cause I couldn't turn that thing off. So revert WAY easier at that point and I still use Last 7 to install. I must have 5 or 10 LastOS several XP & 7 now I have 4 or 5 of the 10's. I just got the Last OS 1909 Pro x64 put on USB and I have 5 computers here to play with. Oh just in case Do any of you have that Theme that is previewed let me know. oh sorry runnin my jaws but I have seen your post and I just had to do that so while I was here I thought I would add the comment's on installs.

Hey, it's that old Rock and Roll Dude!! (n)(y):barefoot::cool:
    Michael Moore :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_point_right::emoji_sunglasses:

Trouba likes this.
  9. Trouba

Trouba Administrator Staff Member

Mostly, the LastOS builds have used KMSpico (in fact it can activate Win7 thru 10 and Office), but it can be sniffed out by Defender or other IS/AVs so you'd have to create exceptions for it, and even then Defender might snag it. An easy way to disable (or enable) Defender is using a little util called Defender Control. If the install de-activates KMSpico, it's an AV or Defender that snagged it. But there are many newer activators that may have a better success rate in relation to Defender or other scanners and in that case they may work "better." The LastOS builds I've made privately, I've pre-disabled Defender and I don't use AVs.

10. bphlpt

bphlpt A lowly staff member Staff Member

Freezer, if you are still working on making a "perfect" Win 8.1 install, you might look at adding some or all of the following "pack". This was found here - https://msfn.org/board/topic/182147-the-windows-8-to-7-restoration-pack-v10/ - and here - https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?resources/windows-8-to-7-restoration-pack.9/. The latter link includes detailed instructions on how the author thought the best way was of achieving the most "Win 7 'like' " experience from Win 8.1, along with a link to ver 1.1 of the "pack".

I haven't looked at this very closely to see which features that you had already included in your efforts, so this post might be a waste of time, but I figured I'd post it anyway. Hopefully, you will have a "release" you are satisfied with soon, along with a Win 10 version as well. I would think that a triple boot install, including Win 8.1, Win 10, and the latest efforts from Trouba for Win 7, would surely cover anyone's possible needs, and would maintain a similar enough UI between the 3 OS to make using them as seamless as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Windows 8 to 7 Restoration Pack v1.1

Nicknamed the Windows 87 pack. Compiled by yours truly.

Here's a regular screenshot of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

[​IMG]

Now here's a screenshot of Windows 8.1 Pro with the Restoration Pack fully installed.

[​IMG]

As you can see, this unfortunately isn't a complete 100% 1:1 restoration, visually speaking, but it comes DAMN close. I'd say it's at least 95% true to the original 7. In any case, if you ever had any doubts or issues about transferring to 8.1 because of the horrid interface, this pack should lay your concerns to rest entirely.

This pack restores:
    Windows 7 Taskbar and Start Menu (via Open Shell v4.4.160)
    Windows 7 Start Menu skin for Open Shell (via WIN7LIKE COMBO RevC start menu)
    Windows 7 Aero (via Aero Glass v1.4.6) (Paid product, but only $3)
    Windows 7 Explorer (via OldNewExplorer v1.1.9)
    Windows 7 Games (via Windows 7 Games for Windows 8 and 10)
    Windows 7 Gadgets (via 8GadgetPack v33.0)
    Windows 7 Default Wallpapers incl. All International Versions
    Windows 7 Theme Sounds
    Windows 7 Default Themes incl. All International Versions
    Windows 7 Aero Cursors
    Windows 7 Default User Account Pictures
    Windows Update Functionality (via wufuc v1.0.1.201)
    (Purposeful exclusion of Windows Media Center, explained at the end of the readme)

The Freezer likes this.
  11. The Freezer

Yes, looks very good. As you pointed out, much of that had already been included in Last9 (This post lists what's included). Off and on I've been updating Last9 (and its corresponding Plus!Pack) for a v2 release; for example, it now includes wufuc. ;)

I'll probably include some of the others like Gadgets, Themes, Wallpapers, Sounds, Aero Cursors, etc.

FYI, for the curious wondering what we're talking about, here's the original release of Last9 v1.

Yes, as many are finding out with any hardware of the ‘KabyLake’/'Ryzen' generation, it's impractical to install any OS from Microsoft other than Windows 10. The OEM's only provide drivers locked to Windows 10 -- meaning they will not install to any older Windows (like Windows 8.1). Yes, you can install Windows 8.1 to that hardware, but it'll essentially be useless without Audio, Network, USB, Card-reader, touchpad (for laptops), and so forth; though you'll have Video, it'll be sub-par and only thru a VGA connection (HDMI won't be available).

Hence the necessity of LastX -- which is looking pretty good, by the way (here and here). It is not yet automated like Last9 is -- everything has to be done manually. There is only one working real-world prototype of LastX right now; but it is working. :coffee:

(Curiously, FWIW, I've found some Linux chromo-flavors work perfectly right out of the "box" with ‘KabyLake’/'Ryzen' hardware/peripheral drivers :cautious:).

bphlpt likes this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I also have a Ryzen setup, ASUS TUF B450 Gaming and LUCKILY they have the .zip file with the boot drivers, have to add this to the boot.wim so mouse and keyboard will work.

I used a win 10 boot.wim and injected the drivers into it LOL, well now I have a magical boot file for all my installs, but this does not help everyone, but can/could help other in same situation I was in.

Depending on when the main board was released, there 'could' be that 'Windows 7 boot fix' for specified main board from the manufacturer site.

AND THEN you have to deal with the CPU is unsupported issue, which is easy to add also.

EDIT: Just thinking that a boot.wim could be injected with Intel and AMD drivers for the Kabylake/Ryzen boot fix for mouse and keyboard and it would work for all who has a main board that utilizes one of the 2 drivers, never thought of that.

EDIT 2: I just checked my ASUS Win 7 fix and it has Intel Kaby Lake drivers also, WOW

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    The Freezer likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

14. bphlpt

Thanks,Ghost! I didn't read all 38 pages of that thread, but from what I can tell it applies to creating a Win 7 ISO to install on Ryzen / Kaby Lake / etc systems. It it doesn't interfere with also being able to install the same ISO onto other older systems, then that might be something that Trouba might want to consider adding to his release.

If it also applies to Win 8.1, or there is another version of that tool that does so, that I would think that Freezer would really like to use it on his release.

In any case, thanks for the find and the link!

15. Trouba

Ghost likes this.
  16. bphlpt

Sorry T, That just shows how much I've been paying attention. :(

17. Trouba

Hehe, it's alright BP :) I was just looking into some old build files on my drives and I had forgotten so much -- and I had worked with those things!

18. bphlpt

You might know then, T, is there such a tool for Win 8.1, or a way for Freezer to implement its features in a reasonable manner?

19. Trouba

Freezer's issue is a drivers issue though, correct?

20. bphlpt

As far as I know from reading in this thread above, yes,

but aren't the drivers one of the main things that the above tool addressed?

21. Trouba

Well, yes :) But it also includes the CPU patch that allows Win7 to run on newer CPUs, without which you wouldn't even be able to know which driver can/will work in the first place because it wouldn't allow you to install Win7 at all otherwise :D

The Freezer likes this.
  22. bphlpt

Well yes, that too. :)

Trouba likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

Exactly, for the few that may have a newer setup than I do as for the 2018/2019 main board release will be locked to just Win 10.

I upgraded first of this year 2020, which is a 2018/2019 main board, it really comes down to that cut off line IF Win 7/8,8.1 will have supported drivers from main board site like mine does for Win 7 USB 3.0 drivers so you can update the install media so that you can install Win 7 on these newer main boards, BUT Microsoft decided to issue a windows update to cut everyone's throat ( like me ) with the CPU unsupported crap to FORCE you to upgrade to Win 10 and that SUCKS of MS to do.

It comes down to that true cut off line MS did.

In my situation

1) Have to have USB 3.0/3.1 drivers to have mouse and keyboard to work just to install Win 7 - Then all is good
    2) After install and windows update is current on a new install for me, I get CPU unsupported crap - UGH
    3) Then I have to apply the CPU fix - Great back to good
    4) Windows updates from the time they cut those off ESU stuff - UGH again
    5) Pop a top on a cold beer - at least I can enjoy it

by # 5 I have pulled out my hair LOL

The Freezer and Trouba like this.
  24. Trouba

:) I did make a few Win7 images with the CPU Patch & Drivers integration with that tool, but as I mentioned elsewhere I couldn't test it widely and I don't even have CPUs that aren't supported by Win7. I did install with those images and they worked fine on my systems (meaning, it didn't break anything obvious) but I can't vouch for how effective this approach actually is for the systems for which it is meant. So I am curious to see how this will work for Ghost. I mentioned this to Freezer as well at the time but he had already moved on to Win8 by that time. And I did try Win8 on these hardwares several times but I had problems with display driver crashes with it (and there aren't many drivers to choose from that work on Win8 for it), which I don't have with Win7. The latest Win10 20h2 is the best so far for me where it comes to stability on older hardware, but it is Win10 and therefore it still sucks.

25. Ghost

Ghost Forum Crapolator

I am not sure what version boot.wim I used ( I know Win 10 ), but I can upload it it's win 7 Pro x64 only

I do not have no Auto ... xml or anything, just a updated to 3/8/2020 windows update, only took about 45 minutes to be current AFTER adding the new ESU v 9 to the fresh install.

For me it works fine on older system also, I have used it for 5 systems, mine is the only Ryzen setup and no problems, 1 system was a Intel Core I7 from a good few years back.

If anyone would like to test/try it let me know.